Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbeau FX1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
AllenG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corbeau FX1

I'm looking to buy a racing seat and don't whant to get a seat that will not fit my car.

Does anyone have the Corbeau FX1 installed in a C6. Any pitfall other than the electronics bugs to resolve. I have a 08Z 2lz, so I expect to have many blinking lights to deal with once the stock seats come out.

thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Allen,

The FX1 seat in particular depends on a few things. I was very close to buying one until i stopped in to talk to my local speed shop.

If you are anywhere near 6' tall then its tight. If you can fix mount the seat then you should be able to make it.

If like me, you feel like you need the sliders because your car is a double duty (street and track) then you lose 1/2" to 3/4" in height and a 6' driver will not fit with a helmet on.

I was told that this particular seat has a piece on the bottom that prevents it from being lowered any further.

I just bought a set of Sparco Circuit seats, but found out that I won't fit into them width wise (ugg!), but I hear the Sparco Evos fit in nice. They are just more expensive. Good luck, and if I get my seats in anytime soon I'll let you know.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Todd Z
Racer

I beleive the Corbeau Forza or Forza 2 is the best fit for a C6.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's wasn't just whether the set fit the car without having an open window or having to cut the interior panel on the door, it was a matter of whether the seat fit not only for my body fit but also for the harness routing.

I don't know where the harness holes are in the Corbeau relative to your shoulders but I sat in a Sparco where the holes were about at the hight of the middle of my shoulder blades. My understanding is that there is a rule that the harness must come across your shoulder from the seat holes at a 90 degree angle. The Hans device also has the requirement for proper positioning of the straps across shoulders.

I know that some seats are FIA homologated and some are not which also is a consideration depending on what your sanctioning body requires.

PCA will not allow me to use BK harness bar and 6 pt harness with stock seats. This is probably the case with some other sanctioning bodies.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

PCA requires that harnesses be used only with seats that have the proper holes in the sides, base (sub belt) and seatback for the harness to go thru.

And if you run in any PCA events and take a passenger, the passenger seat must have the same configuration as the driver's seat. Doesn't have to be the same brand, but the seat will have to have holes for the harness and the harness has to be mounted properly.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

I have a FX-1 seat in my Z 06 with the Corbeau sliding mount. Yes, it fits. Here some pointers. It is a tight fit on the console side. Use a couple fender washers under the front two mounts and a couple under the seat to amount bolt. The liner is velco, so add some Memory Foam under the leg pad and the lumbar support and it is perfect for a 6' 1" , 220 lb. driver with proper room for the seat belts and proper angle for the shoulder harnesses. Passed by NASA Tech. It does not hit the glass nor the door. I do wear a Hans Device, no problems.

Last edited by 96solo; 12-30-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 96solo
I have a FX-1 seat in my Z 06 with the Corbeau sliding mount. Yes, it fits. Here some pointers. It is a tight fit on the Console side. Use a couple fender washers under the front two mounts and a couple under the seat to amount bolt. The liner is velco, so add some Memory Foam under the leg pad and the lumbar suppport and it is perfect for a 6' 1" , 220 lb. driver with proper room for the seat belts and proper angle for the shoulder harnesses. Passed by NASA Tech. It does not hit the glass nor the door. I do wear a Hans Device, no problems.
96 - can you possible post some photos...I was told by my shop that I'd be bumping my head at 6'0" and they talked me out of it, despite it being my first choice.

Is it in the C5Z? Maybe thats the difference, as I have the C6Z.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 PM
AllenG
Advanced

Default Fx1

I plan on mounting without sliders as I'm pretty far back as the seat goes anyway. I hear that helps get them lower. I can fab mounts if I have to, but if anone already has a fixed mount that works, I'd go that route to save time.

Appreciate the feedback thus far.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:38 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenG
I have a 08Z 2lz, so I expect to have many blinking lights to deal with once the stock seats come out.
Call Pfadt racing. They have a harness that should correct the blinky lights.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenG
II can fab mounts if I have to, but if anone already has a fixed mount that works, I'd go that route to save time.
Check on the fixed adj. mounts from Gary at Hardbar. Hardware is top notch, and once you get your seat position set (takes a few tries/in/outs) you can swap your street/track seats in just a few mins. I run an FX1 Pro w/ the Hardbar mounts in my C5Z.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
SHOCheapRacing
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Ditto on the Hardbar mounts. A nice setup.

I just test fitted a Corbeau FX1 (not the pro) this weekend. It is really tight in my C5. Pressed against the tunnel with the seat portion and the shoulder tab has about 1/2 inch of clearance with the door. It just fits.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
96 - can you possible post some photos...I was told by my shop that I'd be bumping my head at 6'0" and they talked me out of it, despite it being my first choice.

Is it in the C5Z? Maybe thats the difference, as I have the C6Z.
Sure, I'll try to load up a couple of pictures. Yes it's the one pictured here and it is a C5 Z 06. I opted for a slider, because of co-drivers of different sizes and the convenience of getting out of the car with it all the way back.

Also, there's a side mount bolt that may rub against the door side rocker belt molding and make a squeak. Mine did. Just remove it and it gives the seat about 1/4" additional clearance. Yes, it's tight to the console, but there's enough room to bolt down the 5 pt. harnesses. The Corbeau slider goes with the mount and not the seat. If you pull the adjustment rod forward, as I do for racing (getting close to the steering wheel ), you have to reach way under. Pfadt's mount is much better as the slider adjustment bar goes with the seat and is much stronger, but much heavier too. Pfadt's comes ready to race 5 or 6 pt. harnesses. Corbeau's, you need to drill a 7/16" hole to mount your submarine belt with a G-Force eye bolt install from their box and cut the bolt down for slider clearance. Not tough at all to do. Stock seat 39.5 lbs. Corbeau with their mount 28.5 lbs. Corbeau with Pfadt mount 36 lbs.

Last edited by 96solo; 12-30-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corbeau FX1

Quick Reply: Corbeau FX1