Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing harness in stock C5 questions

Old 12-28-2008, 12:22 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Installing harness in stock C5 questions

I'm installing 5-pt harness with the Brey Krause harness bar setup. What do you do with the stock seatbelts? I want to keep them for the street so do you just ignore the seatbelt warning light when using the harness? Remove the fuse? Connect the seatbelt behind the seat? Any how-to-do on the install?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

You can pften get a FREE seat belt extender from the Chevrolet dealership - Parts Department upon request. Cut and remove the metal buckle insert from the extender. Place the insert into the seat belt receiver when you use your harness - no light. Works for me. The following pic is an 'example' of what I'm referring to:

Old 12-28-2008, 03:16 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Two points to consider when installing the harness. 1) your shoulder straps should go through the seat not around the top of the seat. If they go around, they will not stay on properly in a crash situation. The stock sport seats with the cutout are fine. I had a local upholstry shop modify my Z06 seats for a proper pass through. 2) Your submarine strap should be anchored and come from the back of the seat between the back and bottom cushion. If you take it down the front of the seat cushion it will not do you any good. Some folks cut a pass through in the seat bottom which also works.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Sparco harness bar with 6pt harness and I left the stock belts; I just ignore the light when I am on track. I have Caravaggio race seats so the shoulder harness comes through the holes in the seat back.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If your seat is power, just disconnect it (from under the seat). I did that when I installed my Kirkey seat and never saw the light. Of course you will not be able to move your seat.

Last edited by sperkins; 12-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
If your seat is power, just disconnect it (from under the seat). I did that when I installed my Kirkey seat and never saw the light. Of course you will not be able to move your seat.
If you do this you will also want to set the telescoping steering wheel where you want it, because it won't telescope while the seat is disconnected.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
me too, never had a light come on either
Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The belts will start tearing up the seats, the sub belt will either come over the front and be worthless or up from under your butt, and kill your nuts.

Get a race seat. Switch it out for long trips.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are some organizations that will no longer allow a harness setup where all of the belts don't go through holes in the seats. Stock seats don't have provisions for holes for the lap belts or sub belt (5 or 6-point). PCA is that way and they even require that a passenger be in a seat with a similar setup.

There are race seats that will work easily in a C5 and the stock seat can be swapped out fairly quickly for a race seat.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
The belts will start tearing up the seats, the sub belt will either come over the front and be worthless or up from under your butt, and kill your nuts.

Get a race seat. Switch it out for long trips.
BTDT!!

.... been there done that......

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
If you do this you will also want to set the telescoping steering wheel where you want it, because it won't telescope while the seat is disconnected.
there are 2 connectors under there, one is from the seat belt to tell the car if it's fastened, the other controls the seat and wheel. just unplug the wire from the seat belt and leave the other one alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing harness in stock C5 questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing harness in stock C5 questions