Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA PTA and ST2: 8.7:1 Lbs:HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NASA PTA and ST2: 8.7:1 Lbs:HP

Anybody else notice the new 8.7:1 limit for PTA? It's apparently causing some issues for a few cars that are now scrambling to either come closer to the limit (within the point structure), or limit their power to be able to continue to run in PTA.

This implies that some PTA cars were already running ST1 power-to-weight ratios... interesting, eh?

That aside, any idea why NASA chose to set the ratio the same for PTA and ST2? I guess the theory is ST2 opens up unlimited modifications?

L98Terror proved a mostly stock C5Z could win TTA ... anybody going to try PTA?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Anybody else notice the new 8.7:1 limit for PTA? It's apparently causing some issues for a few cars that are now scrambling to either come closer to the limit (within the point structure), or limit their power to be able to continue to run in PTA.

This implies that some PTA cars were already running ST1 power-to-weight ratios... interesting, eh?

That aside, any idea why NASA chose to set the ratio the same for PTA and ST2? I guess the theory is ST2 opens up unlimited modifications?

L98Terror proved a mostly stock C5Z could win TTA ... anybody going to try PTA?
It doesnt work that way. It is a limit... PTA is not a weight:HP class. The point of that rule is to say if you had a PTA car with the normal points mods, but somehow made 8.7:1 power, you cant run in PTA.

But I have seen some TTA Vettes turn some blistering times, would be interesting to see one with a full cage running PTA. Though Ive never seen a racecar with a full interior.... :P
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by magnetic1
It doesnt work that way. It is a limit... PTA is not a weight:HP class. The point of that rule is to say if you had a PTA car with the normal points mods, but somehow made 8.7:1 power, you cant run in PTA.
Isn't that what I said? If they're placing the same weight:power on PTA as ST2 then they're worried (or know) that some PTA cars are already running ST1 weight:power ratios.

But I have seen some TTA Vettes turn some blistering times, would be interesting to see one with a full cage running PTA. Though Ive never seen a racecar with a full interior.... :P
Never seen a T1 car? :-)
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Isn't that what I said? If they're placing the same weight:power on PTA as ST2 then they're worried (or know) that some PTA cars are already running ST1 weight:power ratios.

Never seen a T1 car? :-)
HA! Dammit, I was skimming too fast, sorry.

Though I havent seen a PTA car running that kind of power. Perhaps maybe one of those turbo STi / EVOs. ?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 8.7:1 threshold has always been established for TTA and PTA, just not the main factor in those two classes like ST2. Stock 02-04 Z06s flirt with this heavily.....a full cage would help. Anything lower than 8.7:1= ST1 or TTU.........Thats why all of those TTA cars at the NASA Nationals were all across the dyno....checking 8.7:1 compliance.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I hadn't heard about it before. Seems like a lot of the ported and/or forced induction rotaries are now worried about compliance. Seems like other FI cars could easily exceed the 8.7:1 in {P,T}TA, especially if they were willing to sacrifice other mod points.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA PTA and ST2: 8.7:1 Lbs:HP

Quick Reply: NASA PTA and ST2: 8.7:1 Lbs:HP