Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on cut-outs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some advice on cut-outs...

My C6Z has basically stock exhaust. I removed the fuse, and actually replaced the cats with strait pipes and the darn thing is still way to quiet. While on the track with very loud prepared race cars, I sometimes have trouble hearing my own car when matching revs when I heel n' toe. I have always done this by sound, not watching the RPM's. My last car was very loud, but too loud on the street, so I vowed never to put on a permanent super loud exhaust system on my C6Z.

This brings me to cut-outs. In theory, they look great for my purpose. The car is stock sounding when closed, but at the flick of a switch, you can bypass the muffler system and get loud without having some permanent and expensive exhaust system.

So, here is my concern, again on paper, these things look great, but notice the pics I got from the C6Z forum on some completed installations. The only place to put them without have ground clearence issues is right under the transmission where the pipes begin to go over the rear suspension cradle.

I have coil-overs, so I am not worried about leafs getting hot, but I am worried about the transmission getting hot. Everyone hear knows that road racing creates more heat in the drive train than street or drag racing, and I am worried about what dumping hot exhuast under the transaxle could do?

I am thinking the picture with the downpipes facing toward the ground is the way to go, but do you guys think even this will create too much heat around the tranny? Or since we are moving so fast the heat will jut get dumped under the car and out the back and not cause any problems? Do you think either of these designs could cause problems?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You are increasing the amount of radiant heat under the tranny and adding a bunch of hot gas there as well. The tranny already gets too hot so why add more heat?

Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I use DMH cutouts on my C5Z. I've used them at the track probably 4 weekends. The first time I used them at the track (Lowe's), I got the high trans temp warning light. I came home and changed the fluid and haven't had a problem since then. But... I usually only open them up about half way. I'm thinking about cutting them back off and putting them on the actual catback. Here's a video for sound reference:

Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I fight heat issues from exhaust gases on our CMC Mustang - we were boiling the gas in the tank - so no I would not dump hot gases under the car. Take it out the side or back.

Last edited by varkwso; 01-02-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just make a heat shield?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Davinss
Why not just make a heat shield?
It sounds like you would at minimum have to shield the transaxle and the gas tank and those with leafs would have a problem with direct heat constantly blowing on them. In the back of my mind, I figured this would be too good to be true. I run pretty hard, so I don't need anymore heat in such a critical area, and not looking to add weight to the car with tons of shielding.

Looks like I have to go with a cat-back and just deal with the loud sound on the street as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
....Looks like I have to go with a cat-back and just deal with the loud sound on the street as well.
better idea I think
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-5's tend to hold that heat under the body. I have seen more than one case of rear spring failure due to cut outs in front of the spring, and even melted taillights from open exhaust aft of the spring.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTeRACER
C-5's tend to hold that heat under the body. I have seen more than one case of rear spring failure due to cut outs in front of the spring, and even melted taillights from open exhaust aft of the spring.
I don't have leafs on the car (use coil-overs) and it's a C6Z. I am more worried about 2 extremely hot pipes dumping exhaust right under the transaxle. I could turn them down, which would force the gases toward the ground, but you are still generating extra heat right under the transaxle itself, and we all know heat rises regardless of where it is generally directed. Just how much heat is the unkown.

Another option is to have the exit pipes go up and over the axle and dump out somwhere in front of the existing mufflers and take advantage of the Z06 rear diffuser, to pull the exhaust out of the rear. But now you need to find 2 extra stock bent pipes, cut them and try to fabricate some kind of hangers to hold them in place, if it would even work. At that point, I am already at the cost of an aftermarket cat back system...

So much for my bright ideas...
Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

For the cost of the cut-outs, you could get your self a set of stingers that should help increase the noise level of your exhaust.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajg1915
For the cost of the cut-outs, you could get your self a set of stingers that should help increase the noise level of your exhaust.
Both cut outs are $399 a pair. If you can find me a set of stingers at that price, I am in!

Stinger for a C6Z are $1200+.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Both cut outs are $399 a pair. If you can find me a set of stingers at that price, I am in!

Stinger for a C6Z are $1200+.
I'm sure you can find a used pair out there for half of that if you look.

BTW, my bro bought your old black 2001 Z06.

Tony
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

It's really too bad you couldn't have cut outs that exited as side exhausts like the C6.R.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I'm sure you can find a used pair out there for half of that if you look.

BTW, my bro bought your old black 2001 Z06.

Tony
I miss that car all the time. That car was the best car I ever owned. The sound that thing made at full stride was just increadible. You could easily mistake it for a Ferrari or something exotic. The exhaust in combination with the cam is pure joy. I have many great memories and maybe one day I will buy her back

I hope your bro brings her out to an HPDE some time this summer. I would love a chance to sit in her or even drive her again. Maybe I can arrange to be his instructor
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
It's really too bad you couldn't have cut outs that exited as side exhausts like the C6.R.
The 2 gas tanks on either side prohibit side exhaust on the street cars. Unless you go with a fuel cell, it aint gonna happen.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I miss that car all the time. That car was the best car I ever owned. The sound that thing made at full stride was just increadible. You could easily mistake it for a Ferrari or something exotic. The exhaust in combination with the cam is pure joy. I have many great memories and maybe one day I will buy her back

I hope your bro brings her out to an HPDE some time this summer. I would love a chance to sit in her or even drive her again. Maybe I can arrange to be his instructor
I'm sure you can make arrangements with Tim (independent1) to give him instructions as I know he's been in contact with you a few times.

Good luck sorting out your exhaust issues.

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on cut-outs...

Quick Reply: Need some advice on cut-outs...