Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 vs. C5 ZO6 comparison question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
MikeMM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z51 vs. C5 ZO6 comparison question

I posted this on the C5 ZO6 section and they suggested this might be the more apprpriate spot.

I'm considering both of these models as a HPDE/ cruiser car; not a daily driver or a show car. Figure 4-6 DE's a year.

Assuming a 30-50K mileage C5 Z can be had for roughly $25K (or less) and an early CC6 Z51 in the $30K range ( or less), which or these cars makes better sense for the intended use?

Both would seem to have the necessary HP, suspension and brakes to work at a track without a lot of mods. The idea of a newer car with potentially a warranty still in effect makes sense, but I like the idea of a closed car (rather than t-top) at the track

Maybe a better way of putting it would be--putting the purchase price differential aside--which of these cars would fit better with what I'm looking for in a car? Major differences between the two?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Maybe consider this too? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...l-in-scca.html
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no personal experience in the C6, but a C5Z is hard to beat in terms of what you are looking for. I doubt that you will find many to disagree. They are near bulletproof and very fast in stock form and as you can see on here there are enough parts out there to take it to any level of performance you want.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thought I've never driven the C6 Z51 on the track, my vote would be for the C5Z and take the money you'll save and put it into track events.

http://www.youtube.com/user/68ray
Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The cars are around the same price now but the C6 will cost a lot more when you consider depreciation.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I've driven just about every combination of C4, C5 and C6 on track and my suggestion would favor the C5 if cost is a factor. For example, I run a C5 Z51 at DEs and things like rotors and pads are not expensive relative to those of the C6. You can upgrade shocks and sway bars to C6 ones on the C5 as well. The C6 stability program is less intrusive in all settings compared to a C5 though.

Originally Posted by MikeMM
I posted this on the C5 ZO6 section and they suggested this might be the more apprpriate spot.

I'm considering both of these models as a HPDE/ cruiser car; not a daily driver or a show car. Figure 4-6 DE's a year.

Assuming a 30-50K mileage C5 Z can be had for roughly $25K (or less) and an early CC6 Z51 in the $30K range ( or less), which or these cars makes better sense for the intended use?

Both would seem to have the necessary HP, suspension and brakes to work at a track without a lot of mods. The idea of a newer car with potentially a warranty still in effect makes sense, but I like the idea of a closed car (rather than t-top) at the track

Maybe a better way of putting it would be--putting the purchase price differential aside--which of these cars would fit better with what I'm looking for in a car? Major differences between the two?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If both cars are "Stock"... they are very equal on the track.

That said... replacement parts are "cheaper" for the C5 Z06 and available from suppliers like Napa.

The C6 with the Z51 suspension is very refined... better interior etc.

The C5 Z06 is... NOISY MEAN & NASTY... also a very fun car.

If warranty's an issue... you might want the C6... otherwise drive both and decide.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
.....The C5 Z06 is... NOISY MEAN & NASTY... ...

And that is a good thing.

For me the ability to run 17 inch 295 (or 315) tire all around keeps me in a C5 - 17 inch track tires are much cheaper.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

The C5 is the better choice overall.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
I've driven just about every combination of C4, C5 and C6 on track and my suggestion would favor the C5 if cost is a factor. For example, I run a C5 Z51 at DEs and things like rotors and pads are not expensive relative to those of the C6.
You can easily "downgrade" the C6 Z51 brakes to base C6/C5 brakes. It's simply replacing the caliper brackets. The part number on the caliper brackets (abutments) are 12455800 and 12455799. You'll need to order 2 of each to replace front and rear. The brackets are a whopping $35ea or so. Then you can run the same NAPA rotors as the C5. As for pads, I have no idea what is being refered to above -- the C6 non-Z06 runs the exact same calipers as all the C5s, so the pads are identical, too.

As for the ability to run 17in or 18in wheels, the cost there is in the wheels. Once you're running the non-drilled, smaller rotors you have the same wheel clearance as the C5s with the brakes. The C6 does like different offset/backspacing, but you'll find many folks running C5Z wheels (especially 4 x C5Z rear).

The C6 non-Z is basically a C5 with an updated motor, slight differences in how the rear spring is mounted. and a bit more refinement in the interior.

The cost arguement is a loser outside of the upfront cost, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 vs. C5 ZO6 comparison question

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 vs. C5 ZO6 comparison question