Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5, C4 Track Car Or something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Default C5, C4 Track Car Or something Else?

I have a very nice '98 C5 coupe. I'm getting into HPDE and this car will probably work fine for me. But, I have been thinking about selling it and buying a cheap C4 to turn into a track car. Or maybe just get something completely different (non-Vette). I figure my car is worth about $15K. 67K miles, chrome thin spokes, Eradaspeed brakes, Hurst shifter, flowmaster, that's about it. Would I dump over $15K into a C4 and still not be as fast as my c5?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had the same dilemma. I couldn't decide between using my 02Z or buying something new. There are a TON of good deals out there on whatever it is you decide. I finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to tear up my 02 since it was recently repainted and is finally looking good.

I started looking at C4s to use since they are almost giving them away right now. There are a bunch of stock (or close) out there that are well under $10,000. I ran into a deal on a 96 that was already completely built for the track and ended up going with it. It was more $ than I had planned on spending originally, but I just couldn't pass it up after I saw how well it was built. If that deal hadn't come along I would have most likely gone with a later year C4 and taken it straight to the track with only minor, mostly safety mods. IMHO, a C4 or C5 is the perfect car to take racing for an amateur. They are already a solid platform, relatively easy to work on, the engines are very solid (for the most part), and there are a ton of parts out there should you break something.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A track car you are going to push and run hard on the track is better as a track only car. All of the things you do to a track car to go fast are not good for a street car. Then there is the safety side. As fast as corvettes are i am a firm believer in a full cage and safety of a race car.
We turn times faster than many race cars so we should have the appropriate safety; cage, seat, fuel cell, fire system etc. So if you like the track and plan to go out and push the limits I would buy a race car. There are many well prepared race cars out there for cheaper than you can build one for.
So then to the question of C4 vs C5. You will see a lot C5's on the track and they seem to be more popular right now. However dont count the C4 out. My car with a restrictor plate motor in the TCC turned times the same as C5 T1 cars. Craig Gelston in his C4 will beat many C5 cars. The C4 cars are cheap, parts are cheap, safe, and can be fast.
The TCC site has C4 for sale now, mine is for sale, there are also a number of C5 race cars out there. Either way I would buy a already prepared car even if you dont plan on going wheel to wheel, it will be safer and cost less in the long run.
Mat
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

I should add to my original post. I was (am) on a tight budget so I went C4. If I had the money it would have been C5 hands down. Either way there are a bunch of good cars out there to be had right now. Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 96 LT4 Track car - street car. it's dual purpose, set up with Kirkey seats, and suspension.
perfect for the track, and it's still streetable.
contact me for more information.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I just had the same dilemma. I couldn't decide between using my 02Z or buying something new. There are a TON of good deals out there on whatever it is you decide. I finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to tear up my 02 since it was recently repainted and is finally looking good.

I started looking at C4s to use since they are almost giving them away right now. There are a bunch of stock (or close) out there that are well under $10,000. I ran into a deal on a 96 that was already completely built for the track and ended up going with it. It was more $ than I had planned on spending originally, but I just couldn't pass it up after I saw how well it was built. If that deal hadn't come along I would have most likely gone with a later year C4 and taken it straight to the track with only minor, mostly safety mods. IMHO, a C4 or C5 is the perfect car to take racing for an amateur. They are already a solid platform, relatively easy to work on, the engines are very solid (for the most part), and there are a ton of parts out there should you break something.
Your car is what got me thinking about a C4! It's a very nice car and looks like it is set up perfectly.

I'm on a limited budget too as I have a lot of other hobbies and already race off shore power boats (which makes car racing look cheap!). I thought if I could pick up an older C4 for real cheap money, do some repairs and mods, I'd have a fun track car and wouldn't worry about getting dirty, rock dings, or worse, crashing!

I guess I'll try running the C5 for now and see. I am concerned that the sales market sucks now so I wouldn't get a lot of $ for the C5.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHotRodJunkie
Your car is what got me thinking about a C4! It's a very nice car and looks like it is set up perfectly.

I guess I'll try running the C5 for now and see. I am concerned that the sales market sucks now so I wouldn't get a lot of $ for the C5.
Keeping the C5 and using it is by far your best option. By the time you acquire a C4 and pay sales tax (at least in my state) and make possible repairs/maint. (there's always a little something with any used car), you won't clear much with the C5. If you are just a beginner, the C5 will be fine for a while anyway.

RedGTO's car is very rare. I bet there are not many of those for sale in the US right now. It is way more car then a beginner needs.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
It is way more car then a beginner needs.
This I know!!! It is more than I needed off the bat for sure. I wasn't looking for something in that league. I'm going about everything as slowly as possible and working up to the car's level eventually. I have heard more than one person say that as long as you take the time to learn and don't think you are going to go out there and be a pro right out of the gate it shouldn't be a problem at all. Believe me when I say I am humble about it and am taking in every piece of advice that I have been given.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You can't go wrong either way, but I am partial to the c5's rear a-arm suspension, the better braking, and better weight balance give it a slight edge as a better starting point. That's not to say that you can't make a c4 just as fast for the same money as you'd have more $ for upgrades on the c4, but in the long run the c5 is a better balanced car, the ls motors are easier to get parts for or upgrade too.

As you get doing it more, the brake options are available for both, but the brake cooling is easier on the c5's. Plus the c5's are more roomy inside, leaves more room for that cage!

Oh, one thing, check for oiling issues on the early ls1 motors though, I had a buddy spin rods due to it on a 98 motor for what it's worth.

-Dan
Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed

Oh, one thing, check for oiling issues on the early ls1 motors though, I had a buddy spin rods due to it on a 98 motor for what it's worth.

-Dan
I'll probably just stick with my C5 for now. My car has 67K miles with no known oil problems. How do I check for an oiling issue?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2 C4's for sale here http://tccracing.com//joomla//index....id=3&Itemid=72 (and this guy knows what he's doing) buying like this usually gets you a car needing no more than typical track maintance. /:\

Another one http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ch...05685385ss.htm

Last edited by parkerracing; 01-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Those TCC cars are a good way to go C4 or C5.

A lot are either ex T1 or SpeedGT cars.
Really fast!
Lots of $$$ pumped into them.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am concerned that the sales market sucks now so I wouldn't get a lot of $ for the C5.
It is down. SFBay craigslist has '01-'02 Z06s for right around $20k... some are pretty low miles, too. Many many more in the <$27k range.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started running HPDE last season with my basically stock C4 - upgraded the front brake set up to C5.

I also contemplated moving to a C5, however have decided to keep the C4 and will be completing mods in stages (based on driving experience). This winter it will see a focus on safety and handling:

Harness Bar
Corbeau A4 Seats
5-point Harness
Upgraded Suspension
Replace/reman Steering Rack and add powersteering cooler

okay, a few others as well:

Upgrade clutch (needs to be done anyway)
Replace shifter (would love a Hurst but can't find so going with B&M)
Aluminum rad w/EOC

After another season on the track (or breakdown) will look at power upgrades.

Expensive way to go compared to buying a C5, most likely. However even with it's current flaws for handling based on age, I'm very comfortable in it and it's exactly what I need at my current skill level.

lauri
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Lauri,

I had a '93 C4 before I bought the C5. It was an A4 car though and that was the main reason I sold it. I really wanted a M6 car and that was even before I decided to go racing.

Now that I have the C5 M6 with the minor mods (and more coming) I think it would be a great track car with lots of potential. My thinking on switching to a C4 was two fold:
1. A C4 might be a cheaper way to go (looks like that isn't the case) and
2. My C5 is a very nice, super clean car. It never sees rain, I put towels over the floor mats when I drive it, it gets wiped down and cleaned after every drive, etc. I know racing is going to beat it up a bit. It's going to get rock chips, dusty and dirty (oh no! ), and could get banged up.

Your C4 sound like it's coming along nicely. If mine had been an M6 I would have kept it. I did like the "connected" feeling I had when I drove that car more than the C5. The C5 just does everything else better!

My first track event is Feb 7th so I'll run the C5 and see how it does. If I really get into it then I'll have to decide which way to go, street/track C5 or track only C4.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've always been a huge C4 buy but the C5 prices are dropping so fast You can't dismiss them. Check this one out. it's ready to go. I just have to love that price for a reday to go HPDE car.

Richard Newton
Daily Race Car Sales/Blog
Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by rfn026
I've always been a huge C4 buy but the C5 prices are dropping so fast You can't dismiss them. Check this one out. it's ready to go. I just have to love that price for a reday to go HPDE car.

Richard Newton
If I'm not mistaken, that one is from forum member Cobra4B, although I haven't seen him around here in a while.

Get notified of new replies

To C5, C4 Track Car Or something Else?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your comments are right on when it comes to your car getting nicks and dings at the track. I tried to keep my car super clean the first year - taped the nose and behind each wheel before each event. It didn't help.

It won't be a waxer after a few weekends. It won't be terrible but you will get rock dings and sand blasting on the nose and behind the wheels over time.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rfn026

Richard Newton
Wow, he's down to $12.9K ASKING. Looks like he will negotiate more to move the car. That is a great deal on on pretty ready to go race car.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnD60
Your comments are right on when it comes to your car getting nicks and dings at the track. I tried to keep my car super clean the first year - taped the nose and behind each wheel before each event. It didn't help.

It won't be a waxer after a few weekends. It won't be terrible but you will get rock dings and sand blasting on the nose and behind the wheels over time.
That is the exact reason that I didn't have the heart to start racing my 02Z. The car was built for the track and I originally bought it for the track but she's just so pretty!

I know, I know. I lose some cool points for that.

Wow, he's down to $12.9K ASKING. Looks like he will negotiate more to move the car. That is a great deal on on pretty ready to go race car.
Brian is a stand up guy as well with a whole lot of Corvette knowledge. He's been trying to sell that car for a while now but looks like he hasn't had much luck with the market the way it is. It was for sale a while ago on here as well, if you search through Cobra4B posts you should be able to find it. I would, but I'm too lazy right now

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 01-04-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: C5, C4 Track Car Or something Else?