Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 idea for track use.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 idea for track use.

Let me state now that this thread is a copy paste from another one I made in the zr1 section. I didn't have any takers so I'm posting it here as well to see what more experienced track veterans think. Also let me state that I know ZR1 is a heavy gt car compared to the striped out, hard core cars many of you race. With that said, I still think the following to be an intriguing idea to explore. Here is a copy paste from my original thread:

I was thinking about some manufactures focused track day cars, cars such as the Viper ACR and 911 GT2/3. These cars have adjustable suspensions so you can fine tune the car for whatever track you may be on. If any of you guys venture onto the autocross and roadracing section of this forum you will also see many people install coilovers in their vettes and adjust them to suit their needs.
Sense the suspension dampers in the ZR1 are electronically controlled, would it be feasible that engineers can add the capability for users to adjust the damp rates? Perhaps have a D.I.C enabled menu where you can vary the rebound and bump damping within an acceptable range.
Or is their some aspect of the ZR1 that simply wont allow this?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

Spring rate is ultimately what controls outright handling.....dampers help control the springs. You can certainly improve handling with dampers alone, but you need to be willing/able to adjust spring rates to really make a track car handle.

That being said, Corvettes with electronically adjustable shocks have been available since the early 90's, and tuners were hacking them back then, so I'm sure someone will do the same now. I'd personally just stick a set of adjustable shocks on however, but I don't have a ZR1.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm im more of a kart racer (dont laugh please). Not used to springs or shocks LOL. However, i thought the damping was more important in, lets say "per track tuning." The springs, as I understood, just needed to support the weight of the car and keep the tires on the road when u hit bumps or dips, and therefore would only need to be changed going from once course extreme to another.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

David, I and several others have driven the ZR1 on road courses.

I felt the ZR1 suspension was quite good as is.

and for most drivers to 'tune' the suspension for each track, well most drivers have enough on there minds, changing brake fluid and general maintenance to even think about tuning suspension.

Many guys have adjustable coil overs, and unless they really know what they are doing, their suspension set up sucks. Set it once and leave it alone, for 99.5% of all drivers.

for that other 0.5% is different.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 idea for track use.

Quick Reply: ZR1 idea for track use.