Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on Brey-Krause bar install C5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Tips on Brey-Krause bar install C5?

Any tips on the Brey-Krause harness bar install on a C5 coupe that the instructions don't tell you?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM
WONIT84
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vette Essentials has excellent seat removal instructions and pictures on their web site. I purchased new seat skins from them a few years ago and installed the Brey Krause bar.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install is very straight forward. You should be able to do the job in an hour or so.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

On ecsracing.com I have a full write up with pics of the install. I would post the link but right now I am on my blackberry.

Hopefully later I will be at a pc.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
RusherRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairly straight forward install. Nothing to difficult

One thing is with the T-55ish torx they call out something weird on the instructions however its a standard don't remeber the exact size. My torx set didn't go that large so I had to buy one and couldn't find the one they had in the instructions... Went over to a friends with a few more tools and we found one that fit perfect.

There was also a question about how the spacers all go in. We had to reference the instructions to make sure we got it right.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Default Concurrent original shoulder harness installation?

Originally Posted by RusherRacing

One thing is with the T-55ish torx they call out something weird on the instructions however its a standard don't remeber the exact size. My torx set didn't go that large so I had to buy one and couldn't find the one they had in the instructions... Went over to a friends with a few more tools and we found one that fit perfect.

There was also a question about how the spacers all go in. We had to reference the instructions to make sure we got it right.
I'm considering buing this harness bar.
Can you install the original shoulder harness concurrently for normal driving between events?
Will it work with Hainz device or not?
Is it approved for circuit racing?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 AM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
I'm considering buing this harness bar.
cough.... BK bar for sale
Can you install the original shoulder harness concurrently for normal driving between events?
It does not interfere with stock belts at all.
Will it work with Hainz device or not?
The BK bar has nothing to do with this since all the BK bar does is hold the shoulder belts. HANS usage is more an issue of the seat.
Is it approved for circuit racing?
If you mean wheel to wheel racing - no, you'll need a cage for that. If you mean track days, yes - it's perfect for that.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RusherRacing

IIRC, the instructions call for a special Torx, something like a T-500. I tried to track that thing down all over the place, and couldn't find it. I finally gave up and tried a T-50, and it fits. You have to be sure you get it in all the way and have it properly seated and square to the bolt, but it will work.

The BK bar installation is easy as can be, except if you drive yourself crazy looking for that stupid Torx. Yes, it is fine for HPDE and track day events with just about every club/sponsor I've seen. For wheel to wheel racing, you must have a cage. The stock belt stays in place, so you still have it available for driving on the street (always use the stock belt on the street; never use a racing harness for street driving).

As for the HANS device, it works fine with mine, but I have Caravaggio racing seats in the car, so the holes for the shoulder harness are in the right place. You cannot use a HANS with the standard seats (harnesses coming around the sides won't go over the HANS properly). The harnesses MUST come straight out from the bar, through the seat back and over the HANS. I don't know if the sports seats work with the HANS or not. If you intend to use a HANS, invest in a decent racing seat.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

here is the link to where I posted pictures

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/s...highlight=brey

Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
WONIT84
Instructor

Snap-on has the torx 500. I borrowed one for my install. It was about $30.00 to purchase.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Default Interested and need more info.

If you mean wheel to wheel racing - no, you'll need a cage for that. If you mean track days, yes - it's perfect for that.[/QUOTE]

I have not done Solo I but may be interested in this later. Is the bar legal for that? I have been involved in Solo II this year but have not studied the rules for Solo I.

Is your bar still for sale. I am considering buying. Are your 2 sets of harnesses still available? Do you use e-bay?

Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
I have not done Solo I but may be interested in this later. Is the bar legal for that? I have been involved in Solo II this year but have not studied the rules for Solo I.

Is your bar still for sale. I am considering buying. Are your 2 sets of harnesses still available? Do you use e-bay?
I'm not familiar with the Solo1 requirements. You would need to read the rules there.

Bar is still available but the belts sold earlier today. Not on ebay, just though the forum. PM me your shipping info and I'll get a shipping quote.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
R Mackow
Racer

A dremel tool works well in opening up the slot in the plastic coping where the B-K out-board lap belt clip passes through. Also seats come out.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips on Brey-Krause bar install C5?

Quick Reply: Tips on Brey-Krause bar install C5?