Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First season autocrossing Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
sammm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First season autocrossing Z06

I've been AX'ing since 2005, but just got my '03 Z06 last week and plan to AX it this coming season. Looking for guidance selecting tires (non R-compounds), tire sizes and alignment specs. I plan on staying in stock class (SS), so I will have to run OEM wheel sizes.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I had good luck with Kumho MX series and Firestone Wideovals when I ran on street tires. There are probably stickier tires out there, but these were a good bang for the buck. Regardless it's going to be like driving on ice.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You might want to check out the Falken Azenis RT-615's. They seem to be at the top of the street tire comparisons in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine for dry grip (at least they were last time I saw the magazine). You can likely run 275R17 on the front and 315R18 in the rear.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MySR71
You might want to check out the Falken Azenis RT-615's. They seem to be at the top of the street tire comparisons in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine for dry grip (at least they were last time I saw the magazine). You can likely run 275R17 on the front and 315R18 in the rear.
I agree. Those are the best street tires for AX that fit stock rims. The Miata folks have run them to death over the years. The older RT215s. The new RT615 are even better. May not be the best street tire for daily driving. I'd say get a 2nd set of Z06 rims and mount them on them. Then switch wheels on AX weekend.

As for alignment. I run -2.0 camber front and -1.5 camber rear. 0 toe front and 1/8 total toe in on the rear. It's still very streetable at this setting.

I'm sure you'll get more ideas.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

The Z06 is almost great right out of the box for SS. Lower it on the stock bolt, get a descent alignment as stated, and a better front sway bar (Pfadt SS bar or Hotchkis) and you are good to go. A harness bar w/ harness helps too!

Although without R compound you will be at a disadvantage to others running it in SS. Perhaps you have a regional "Street Tire" class that is paxed that you can run in.

Last edited by Solo2GS; 01-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

One thing you really need to do is come join us at the BMW autocross events! We run out at Mineral Wells airport (huge!), up at TMS, and at La Grave field in Ft. Worth. 8 runs per event and a bunch of great folks. They know how to set up a nice course, as well; technical sections but also able to stretch out your Vette's legs as well.

I'll post an invite here and in the SW section when the '09 schedule is released.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
sammm
Racer

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it and keep it coming. My past 3 AX cars were all (don't laugh) Miata's and I ran the Azenis on them all. They won't throw you back in the seat like the Z06, but they handle like go-carts. I did get to co-drive an '03 Z06 (on Azenis) last year at an event and loved it! I'm really looking forward to getting out there in my own this year. We do have a paxed Street Tire class in the Texas Region SCCA, so I won't have to go head-to-head against R-compounds. I'm going to try it 'out of the box' with some good tires and an alignment and see how I do.

Mike, I've run a few local BMW events over the past few years and have been out to Mineral Wells, TMS and LaGrave several times with different clubs (ER, SCCA, S2K). Look forward to meeting you at an event this year.

Thanks again
Sam

Last edited by sammm; 01-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Kumho MX's worked well for me.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This is great timing; I'm just planning my first full season this year after running a couple random events late in the season last year. My plans are:

- Lowering 10-15mm front/rear
- Pfadt Racing Dual Street/Track alignment
- Kumho V710's on stock wheels
- Hardbar harness bar and harness (and camera mount)

That's it for me this year - depending on how I do I may invest in the Pfadt SS package, but I don't expect to be reaching the limits of what the stock car can do.

My prior autocross cars were a 1970 MGB and 1995 Impala SS...so I've got a lot to learn
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Billa,

The only thing I'd change from your plan is tires. V710s have great grip, but you'll tear through them pretty quickly, plus you can't really drive on them to/from the track. Yes, I know some people do, but most don't.

Instead, look at the Toyo RA-1/R-888, Nitto NT-01, or Kumho V700/ECSTA tires. I run 275/305 RA-1s on stock wagon wheels. They wear fantastic, can be driven normally on the street, and have great grip. I've also run 275/315 on 17" repo ZR-1 wheels. The great thing about using wagon wheels is you can get them for next to nothing and they're strong as an ox.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

For street class tires, might take a look at the Kumho XS, just coming out at 180 UTQG ... I think it's their response to the Azenis.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
The only thing I'd change from your plan is tires. V710s have great grip, but you'll tear through them pretty quickly, plus you can't really drive on them to/from the track. Yes, I know some people do, but most don't.

Instead, look at the Toyo RA-1/R-888, Nitto NT-01, or Kumho V700/ECSTA tires. I run 275/305 RA-1s on stock wagon wheels. They wear fantastic, can be driven normally on the street, and have great grip. I've also run 275/315 on 17" repo ZR-1 wheels. The great thing about using wagon wheels is you can get them for next to nothing and they're strong as an ox.
Mike, THANKS for the guidance! I'll be towing a small trailer (let's not open that can of worms ) with track wheels, so I won't need to drive on them to the track. I bought a 2nd set of C5 Z06 wheels already from a local forum member. My daily driver tires are Michelin Sport Pilot 2 (I think).

Does not driving to/from the track on them change your guidance?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Not really. It's good that you've got the equipment to take stuff to the track, but I think you'll find your time much better spent at the track walking the course, making new friends (we do tend to socialize a wee bit ), finding instructors, and basically doing the minimum amount of car work as possible at the track.

The tires I recommended will let you do almost all of your prep at home; just get to the track, empty out the car, go through your tech inspection, etc.

BTW, I *really* recommend the harness bar and harness. It lets you concentrate on driving the car rather than using the steering wheel to hold you in place.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sammm
Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it and keep it coming. My past 3 AX cars were all (don't laugh) Miata's and I ran the Azenis on them all. They won't throw you back in the seat like the Z06, but they handle like go-carts. I did get to co-drive an '03 Z06 (on Azenis) last year at an event and loved it! I'm really looking forward to getting out there in my own this year. We do have a paxed Street Tire class in the Texas Region SCCA, so I won't have to go head-to-head against R-compounds. I'm going to try it 'out of the box' with some good tires and an alignment and see how I do.

Mike, I've run a few local BMW events over the past few years and have been out to Mineral Wells, TMS and LaGrave several times with different clubs (ER, SCCA, S2K). Look forward to meeting you at an event this year.

Thanks again
Sam

Hey Sam, congrats on the new car. You will love it! Heck, just bite the bullet and get some hoosiers for that thing and do it right. There's lots of extra stock wheels available out there.
Better yet, take it to MotorSports Ranch or Eagles Canyon and have some fun.
Did you buy your Z local?...from anyone I know?

BTW, you know you will come to miss the Miata...I miss mine sometimes...

missing TX bigtime...
Phil O.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
sammm
Racer

Originally Posted by OzCop
Hey Sam, congrats on the new car. You will love it! Heck, just bite the bullet and get some hoosiers for that thing and do it right. There's lots of extra stock wheels available out there.
Better yet, take it to MotorSports Ranch or Eagles Canyon and have some fun.
Did you buy your Z local?...from anyone I know?

BTW, you know you will come to miss the Miata...I miss mine sometimes...

missing TX bigtime...
Phil O.
Hey Phil! Good to hear from you. I'd love to put some R's on it, but I'm taking things slow until I get a feel for the car. The car came from Florida and I had it transported up. I know I'll miss buying tires for the Miata vs. the Z06, but I'll probably get over it.

Any plans to make any events in DFW this coming season? Hope to see you at one! (or more)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Hey Phil! Good to hear from you. I'd love to put some R's on it, but I'm taking things slow until I get a feel for the car. The car came from Florida and I had it transported up. I know I'll miss buying tires for the Miata vs. the Z06, but I'll probably get over it.

Any plans to make any events in DFW this coming season? Hope to see you at one! (or more)
It depends on the TDE schedule. I will be there working from the 17th through the 24th of this month...Probably not back down there till late March, early April...Hopefully I can find an event at that time...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM
sammm
Racer

Default Azeni's

I'm guessing 275/40/17 up front. What about the rears...

275/35/18 or 315/30/18?

Get notified of new replies

To First season autocrossing Z06

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
sammm
Racer

Default Falken Azeni RT-615

275/35/18 or 315/30/18?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

275/35/18 or 315/30/18?
I went with 315's in the rear and still had trouble putting power down coming out of turns. My recommendation would be go with the 315's.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I ran 275/40/17 front and 295/35/18 rear Kumho MX's and was fairly pleased with them. Once I figured out the tire pressures the car felt better and better. Once I made the jump to Hoosiers it was a whole new learning curve

I do miss just driving the car to the event, running and driving it back home. Changing tires at the track sucks, but R's are a whole different world in one of these cars

Quick Reply: First season autocrossing Z06