Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Boot Replacement - C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ball Joint Boot Replacement - C6Z

I had a torn boot on my upper ball joint and ordered the Energy Suspension boots from Summit hoping they would fit but don't think they do...

The problem is the base of the boot is too large to fit snugly around the lip of the base of the ball joint. When I try to put the metal retaining ring around the boot it pops the boot right out.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems like a few people w/C6Z's have replaced the boot without having to buy a new knuckle....

Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done this, but if you attach the knuckle to the upper control arm, I would think that it would be held up and then you could maybe put the clip around and have it hold like it is supposed to?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I the aftermarket boots will work with the retaining rings, but I thought the diameter was correct to make them an "interference" fit. Once you attach it back to the spindle, the force should help hold it in place. I bought a set, but decided to steal the boots from my spare parts.

Usually, if a boot is simply burned or torn, I rotate the bad side away from the rotor, pack it full of grease, then wrap it with header wrap/tape/whatever. Just wrapping it usually reduces the radiant heat transfer enough to keep the grease in.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Usually, if a boot is simply burned or torn, I rotate the bad side away from the rotor, pack it full of grease, then wrap it with header wrap/tape/whatever. Just wrapping it usually reduces the radiant heat transfer enough to keep the grease in.
I came across you saying this in another thread but since the boots were cheap and I had some spare time until the track opens, I thought I would give replacing them a shot.

I'll put the new one on and reattach the knuckle and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

how did you tear the upper boot???? The lower is the one that get's cooked and is commonly replaced. I don't know if they are the same, or if that is perhaps part of your problem???

you can often find old spindles on ebay for next to nothing, and usually the boots (from street cars) are in perfect condition. That's how I loaded up with spare suspension parts for my NASA car (just need a "spare" spare engine)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
darrahc
Instructor

Tore it with a damn pickle fork... It wasn't really that bad and should have just left it alone but like I said, I had some time off over Christmas and figured 'what the hell' I'll try to replace it.

Good call on ebay - I didn't even think of that. I'll check it out.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car under warranty? Did you even try that route?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Since the C5 & C6 spindles are the same, you can get replacement ball upper ball joints from rockauto.

I have one left over from another job that I could sell you from $30.

Drop me a PM and I can get you some more info.

Tony
Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Is the car under warranty? Did you even try that route?
Yes, the car's under warranty and no, I did not try that route. I track the car and was replacing the upper A arm because the bushings were getting pushed out and tore the ball joint boot taking it out of the A-arm. The way I see it, it's not really a warranty issue but more of a maintenance issue as a result of tracking the car. I would have a tough time walking into the dealer saying "uh, my ball joint boot is ripped and I don't know what happened..."

More than that though, I actually enjoy working on the car and it's a fairly inexpensive fix. Even if I have to end up buying a new steering knuckle it's only a $120 part and hardly worth the aggravation of taking it to the dealer and leaving it there.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=darrahc;1568490209]Yes, the car's under warranty and no, I did not try that route. I track the car and was replacing the upper A arm because the bushings were getting pushed out and tore the ball joint boot taking it out of the A-arm. The way I see it, it's not really a warranty issue but more of a maintenance issue as a result of tracking the car. I would have a tough time walking into the dealer saying "uh, my ball joint boot is ripped and I don't know what happened..."QUOTE]

I hear ya...I had the same EXACT problem, bushing got pushed out of the A-Arm, ball joint torn up and burnt from excessive heat. I have GMPP, so that could be the difference, but I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it with no questions asked. You never know unless you ask. Now that I remember, they told me they had to replace the entire A-arm as they don't press bushings at the dealership, and just got the whole assembly brand new and bolted it in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Ball Joint Boot Replacement - C6Z

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Boot Replacement - C6Z