Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: T1 car options
Prep my C5Z for T1 racing
8.89%
Sell my C5Z and buy a T1 prepped C5Z
53.33%
Buy a C6 and prep it for T1
8.89%
Buy a T1 prepped C6.
28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

T1 car options

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T1 car options

So I got into autoX late 2007 and ran quite a few autoX events in 08 with my C5Z... but I would like to make the next step up and go into some W2W. I want to stay in the corvette world with this, so I think SCCA T1 is the best fit for me, mostly cause of budget.

So basically I figure I got a few options that I could take in doing this...

1. Keep my C5Z and have it prepped for T1 racing.
2. Sell my C5Z and buy a complete race ready prepped T1 C5Z06.
3. But a LS3 C6 and have it prepped for T1 racing.
4. Buy a race ready prepped T1 LS3 C6.

I know a decent C5Z T1 car is around $30k give or take a little. But as I understand after 10 years, the car is phased out of the class. If thats true, then I wouldn't have long to race in the C5 being that I probably won't be able to really race alot until 2011 probably.

It also seems that the C6 has started to have an edge on the C5's and the LS3 seems to be the motor to have for T1. But I know the T1 C6 price is quite a bit more than a C5... any idea of what kind of price on a T1 prepped C6?

It just seems to me that since the C6 will be in T1 for a good number of years, that it might possibly the car of choice for me in a couple of years? I just would like to hear some comments, thoughts, suggestions on this.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 01-08-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

If you are getting started buying C5 is the way to go, although building yours could be a reasonable option.

The fastest and longest term value, but also the more expensive option, it go with an LS2 C6. You should wait until the LS3 engine issues are resolved and hopefully they will let some weight drop from that car, too.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olitho
If you are getting started buying C5 is the way to go, although building yours could be a reasonable option.

The fastest and longest term value, but also the more expensive option, it go with an LS2 C6. You should wait until the LS3 engine issues are resolved and hopefully they will let some weight drop from that car, too.

Thanks for the input. Its probably going to be 2-3 years before I could really make a move up to T1. My goal for the next couple of years is to pay off some monthly bills that I have so I can have more play money.

With that in mind, if the LS3 has its issues resolved by that time... it looks to be one of the top car of choices for T1.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Isn't this addiction fun?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There are so many Corvette race cars on the market right now you would have to be crazy to think about building your own. It's a buyer's market for Corvette race cars.

Have you considered going vintage?

Richard Newton
Corvette Race Car Blog
Corvette Track Car Community
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Michael! I would recommend buying an already built/prepped car vs. converting yours, but I know others (SleeperZ06 and Subdriver) have built their personal cars up and are happy going that route. As far as the C5 vs. C6 deal - I think the C6 is faster than the C5 now, and that gap will grow in the next couple years. So, it comes down to how much can you afford? I know Phoenix had their Runoffs-winning LS6 C6 for sale for a while... listed at $89k. My vote: buy a ready-to-race C5.

Just FYI - when I bought my ready-to-race car, I still spent another $10k above and beyond purchase price to get on track. Extra wheels, new seat, safety gear, tools, etc. Make sure to build that in your budget.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

phoenix has some car for sale on there site
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Wouldn't Time Trials be the next step?

Anyways if you're not going to be racing for 3 more years I decide then, what's a good idea today might not be in 3 years.

If it were today I would start with a sorted out used C5 T1 car. then you can run T1 and ST2
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
wmk32
Instructor

Maybe i'm wrong, but moving from autocross to W2W does not sound like the next step up, that sounds like a huge step.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to stepping up to wheel to wheel, I think everyone is different. My brother and I never autocrossed or did an HPDE event in our lives before we started. We built our own car, got a liscense, and went racing. Some people I know did the same and never got very good at it. Others, like Chuck MacTrinder, never did anything before and he was TCC champion the next season. We also had another guy who ran out of our shop who was runner up in NCCC for the National Championship, but he never did get very good at wheel to wheel. You just never know.

One thing that I think is very good about NASA is that you can go there, run HPDE with a stock car. Step up to time trials and see if you like this racing thing or if you are any good at it, and then step up to wheel to wheel. This option also gives you the ability to upgrade your car a little at a time.

A good option might be for you to trade your C5 for a C6 LS3 car and continue doing HPDE this year while aquiring all your safety equipment. Next season move into time trials and start removing the things you don't need (and sell them) and begin aquiring the things you need to go racing. Then put in the roll cage and go racing in 2011.

Anyway you do it, it won't be cheap. But, it is the most fun you will ever have!

Good luck and hope to see you on the track soon. If we can be of any help, give us a call.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
TCC #59
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

FWIW, when I decide to move up, I'll be selling this car and buying one ready to race.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Wouldn't Time Trials be the next step?

SCCA & NASA offer some great Time Trial programs.

However if you have the budget for not only the new car and all the expenses throughout the year for T1, like I wish I did, then go for it!

you might want to talk to folks like Oli and others involved to truly know what your expenses will be.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Todd Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
When it comes to stepping up to wheel to wheel, I think everyone is different. My brother and I never autocrossed or did an HPDE event in our lives before we started. We built our own car, got a liscense, and went racing. Some people I know did the same and never got very good at it. Others, like Chuck MacTrinder, never did anything before and he was TCC champion the next season. We also had another guy who ran out of our shop who was runner up in NCCC for the National Championship, but he never did get very good at wheel to wheel. You just never know.

One thing that I think is very good about NASA is that you can go there, run HPDE with a stock car. Step up to time trials and see if you like this racing thing or if you are any good at it, and then step up to wheel to wheel. This option also gives you the ability to upgrade your car a little at a time.

A good option might be for you to trade your C5 for a C6 LS3 car and continue doing HPDE this year while aquiring all your safety equipment. Next season move into time trials and start removing the things you don't need (and sell them) and begin aquiring the things you need to go racing. Then put in the roll cage and go racing in 2011.

Anyway you do it, it won't be cheap. But, it is the most fun you will ever have!

Good luck and hope to see you on the track soon. If we can be of any help, give us a call.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
TCC #59

Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Isn't this addiction fun?
Hey that's not funny.
I am in a serious state of confusion and denial. That's nothing to make fun of.

Someone please help me.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

always buy someone elses money pit.

private party.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I went straight from autoX to W2W with a few HPDE's. I think TT is a great program and it is a good stepping stone. IMHO, it's not a requirement and depends on the driver.

Originally Posted by Jason
FWIW, when I decide to move up, I'll be selling this car and buying one ready to race.
That would be a great car to pick up - it has an excellent pedigree.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
Someone please help me.
29 days till CMP.

Get notified of new replies

To T1 car options

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

My vote would have to be: If you are really wanting to do this then go ahead and make the jump to a C6. Sell the C5 and pick up a 06-07 LS2 car. Run it in HPDE's and TT till you decide to make the jump to W2W. At that point you will have the option to swap in the LS3 which should have it's probs sorted out by then. But in the mean time you will have a bullet proof C6 LS2 platform to beat on and get used to the new car. When it comes time to prep the car, just send it off to Phoenix and let them do their magic.

Just like Robert said, you can add little things here and there while your running the car in HPDE and TT to get it that much closer to T1 spec.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the great feedback so far guys. Its always nice to hear the point of perspective of someone who has been there and done this sort of thing.

When I said the next step for me would be T1, I didn't actually mean that I was going to go straight out to get my comp. license and starting competing asap. I want to do some HPDE's and just get a good feel of my car on track. I plan to work my way up in Nasa's HPDE levels and just see how that goes and I might still do time trials with the car. Just have to see how things go with that down the road.

So it seems that the C6 might be the way to go if you got the budget to get it prepped and all the expenses that go with T1. I'm looking forward to finding a nice C6 to start beating on at the HPDE level and I hope to meet a few of you T1 guys in person at the track someday. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

After reading the thread about the LS2 and LS3 oil problems... It makes it a little scary about making the jump to the C6 over the C5 cars. Is it fair to say the LS6 is pretty solid in reliability in T1 compared to the C6 cars? I know the LS6 can and has blown up on some, but doesn't seem to be near as often as the LS2's or LS3's.

Also, the other issue that concerns me is SCCA's outdating rule. Since 2014 is the last year for the C5... is it a possibility that it could extended to let the C5's continue to race in T1? If that were the case, I would be very tempted to start with the C5 and work my way from there. Just seems to stink if you get a nice C5Z prepped for T1 only to have to move to the C6 in a couple of years anyways.

Thoughts, comments?

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 01-17-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: T1 car options