Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into my next stage

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Talk me into my next stage

Been doing HPDE's for a few years now. I made it to 8 events last year as HPDE 3 (NASA) and I think I'm ready for a next step.

I drive a 1992 corvette. Right now its apart for a suspension rebuild including shocks and hubs.

So do I take the instructor courses?

With my almost stock C4 should I try TT?
If I went to Time Trials what saftey equipment must I have installed?
I know I should have the full cage + seats + HANS, but what MUST I have.

I'm not going wheel to wheel.

So chime in and convince me!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it... that's the route I may still take on my way to W2W in T1. From the guys that I know do it, say its very addicting and loads of fun.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next phase will be getting signed off for HPDE4/TT....Running either requires open passing experience which you will get in HPDE4, or other open passing venues such as 10/10ths,Chin ,etc.

If you do plan on running TT, be careful of how you mod your car. Modifications are rewarded with "points" which will move you up through the classes. You want to carefully select modifications which have the most impact on time given certain classes or bumps..Cars are assigned a base classification and I believe that a 92-96 LT1 car is assigned in TTC . I think that those cars could be competitive although nobody is currently campaigning one.

The only real needs are a SA helmet and a transponder I believe.....but there will certainly be other things that you want to do as well as capitalize on all of the "free mods" that they allow you in TT.(Such as poly bushings and clutches,flywheels,weight removal,etc). Careful which shocks you are installing as some carry heavy point penalties.

You need to get with Varkswo here on the board he is the NASA SE TT director. I am sure he will probably chime in here sometime soon.........

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Sounds like a crack addict looking for a dealer

the above poster is the dealer of dealers for this stuff. Just roll up your sleeve and let Danny give you the shot.

Make sure you take care of the safety issues first
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Yea, the safety issues are a big one on my list.
I've had this poly bushing set in the garage for about 18 months. I've had new rear hubs in the garage for about 9 months. Its all going on the car this month, when we pulled the rear hubs off one of them seperated in our hands!

Only other "mods" are ones that put me in NCCC group 2. Dual exhaust, open air lid. Thats it (for now) I don't even have headers!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done TT with my C5 and C6 and have not needed any safety beyond the standard. I have not run with NASA, but I though that was the benefit of TT, your now W2W, and therefore you can use a street car.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Safety? For TT, I'd think you would want the full seteup, if possible. Failing that, if you are installing a seat and harness for the speed benefit, like most of us did, the harnesses need to be current. I think it's a two year replacement. If you are doing harnesses and a seat, and not using a HANS, well, I'd not be comfy. Some form of head restraint will cost you less than 1K. And chicks dig living guys more than dead ones. Get it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Yes, If I can find someone to install a rollbar or a cage in a C4 I'll do it. Now find me one within 50 miles of Atlanta. I haven't found anyone that will touch a C4 yet.

I need to keep it "streetable" and able to drive long distances (Summit point is about 550 mi one way) So any seat change needs to be one I can do at the track.

And yes if I do rollbar & seats the HANS is a must.

Which is why I'm doing an internal debate with my self about doing the instructor training / HPDE 4 or TT this year when I get the suspension back together.

Last edited by jaa1992; 01-09-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: cnat speel
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sparco seats are really comfy, I have an Evo and have driven across the country with it, and no problems.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

You aren't required to have rollbars/seats/harnesses for TT. Is it a good idea? Of course.

Coming from autocross, I really missed the competition at HPDE's. TT was the perfect solution.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I need to keep it "streetable" and able to drive long distances (Summit point is about 550 mi one way) So any seat change needs to be one I can do at the track.

Trailer your car to the track. It just makes a lot more sense if you're going to be getting even the slightest bit serious. Its a long walk to Big A from Summit Point. Thats one ofthe reasons I started trailering. If my car broke, I still could get home.

I am also in the position of taking the next step. I signed up for the instructor clinic at VIR with NASA in Feb. Not sure about TT yet as I would probably have to run TT-S due to mods on the car. I would like a little more seat time in open passing before I do that.

Bob
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Been doing HPDE's for a few years now. I made it to 8 events last year as HPDE 3 (NASA) and I think I'm ready for a next step.

I drive a 1992 corvette. Right now its apart for a suspension rebuild including shocks and hubs.

So do I take the instructor courses?

With my almost stock C4 should I try TT?
If I went to Time Trials what saftey equipment must I have installed?
I know I should have the full cage + seats + HANS, but what MUST I have.

I'm not going wheel to wheel.

So chime in and convince me!
Have you gone to driving school like Bondurant/Spring Mountain? These will help you get to the next level.

This year I had 20 track days and in the middle of them I went to Bondurant Racing School. After returning my laps times decreased because I felt more confident that I could push my car further since I had more formal training.

I also got to do some W2W at Bondurant and that was a blast. My adrenaline was much higher with side by side starts. I know I will be doing that soon.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Shoot if I did Bondurant or Spring Mountain I wouldn't be able to go to any other events.

Guess I should have mentioned the shoestring budget.

I'd love to trailer the car but there is that whole having to buy a tow vehicle and trailer bit.

I've been to VIR in Feb, ask Jack and Mike - I won't do it again. Right now I'm planning to attend the instuctor clinic at Road Atlanta in March.

So it looks like I need to talk to the regional TT guy (I'll send him a PM). Sounds like I can take the same attitude I've been taking in HPDE 3, let the fast guys go by and drive at what I'm comfortable with. With rebuilding the suspension I'm sure that will be much quicker than this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me into my next stage

Quick Reply: Talk me into my next stage