Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default QTP headers

I am looking for a set of these and apparently qtp is all out with no production being done until spring. I need these before then. If anyone knows of a distributor or private party that may have a set in stock for a '99 please let me know.
thanks,
-V
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I am looking for a set of these and apparently qtp is all out with no production being done until spring. I need these before then. If anyone knows of a distributor or private party that may have a set in stock for a '99 please let me know.
thanks,
-V
I put a call in to a buddy who bought a set off my 98 C5 and never used them, I`ll fwd your info if he still has them!

Btw, we`re in So Cal (San Diego)
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Cool, thanks. There is one other forum member who has a set. Maybe its the same guy?
Are you running a different brand of headers now? Any before/after comments on quality, performance, installation?
They don't seem to be anywhere near as popular as any of the other headers out there. Personally I prefer the QTP design of a proper tri-y for what I will be using them for. I've never installed or seen a set in person, but they give me the impression that they are very high quality as well as designed well.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't there a company out in your neck of the woods V that built nice tri-y's .....I think their name was Berlanger (sp??) or something like that. I had installed a set of those of a 99 that had a camhshaft and that car ran REAL good......Additionally Basani makes a set of tri-y's.............

Was never really happy with the 02 sensor placements on any of those above mentioned headers if I remember correctly ....it has been a while.... But the 02 sensors weren't sampling all of the cylinders is each bank, they sampled like 2 a side, which could cause some fuel trimming issues...I tested a bunch of headers on my autocross car back in '04-05, I think 11 sets in total including a set of Basani's......the 4 into 1 headers tested significantly better than the Basani tri's on a stock internal LS6. The Berlangers or the QTP's I never tested.

Go kick some Time Attack butt......I wish there were more on the side of the country....I may be able to make an event this year. I think it will be fun.

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-09-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Bellanger used to be very popular early on. Way before I knew anything about C5. They were especially popular with vipers. I don't know if they still exist. Personally I don't like the bassani tri-y's. They just look too restrictive. The QTP's appear to be really well done. They are similar in design to a true nascar cup header. I haven't tested any headers. I just have a hunch that they will be well suited for my motor since its stock and really doesn't make any power up high. I'm hoping the QTP's will give me as much power as possible for my rpm range.
RAFTRACER, if I had your car I think I could make a serious run for the unlimited class. The only reason I'll enter mod if I go is simply because I don't want to have to buy another set of expensive street tires and be limited to 285 size. My car really only has suspension modifications and nothing else. Headers would be the only power mod. if I get some. If the serious mod cars don't smoke me they should stop playing the game. I could thow a bunch of power parts and gut my car, but I don't want to do that. It's my street car and would place me out of TTA which runs more than once per year. It just happened that I looked up the winning lap times for time attack from last year and I'm pretty sure I'm faster than those.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

V,
I just looked at the QTP website so that I caould remember what they looked like and how they were built, and yes , you are right, I like the design of the QTP alot better than any of the tri-y's that I have seen. Scavenging the engine is important for power production, but the Basani's fell short of expectations........At least the QTP's seem to have correct 02 sensor location.

I have been recently thinking about adding some tri-y collectors to one or another of my sets of headers to promote scavenging and build more midrange power. It would end up as you said, more " Nascar like". These would be slip-on type so I could play around on the dyno and figure out what works best as far as cylinder pairing and length. In my dyno test on my stock internal LS6 , I also tested a crazy set of iconel 180 degree headers that did real well, but created alot of tuning issues.

As far as Time Attacks go, the results I have seen on this side of the country looks like I would be real competitive. I'll know more when I finally unleash my car at Road Atlanta and VIR full sometime early this year. Hopefully your TA is like shooting fish in a barrel....Good luck and make us Corvette people proud..

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-10-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I'd love to see a photo of the 180 headers. Must look pretty trick. Flowmaster makes a tri-y collector you might want to look at. There are a few sets of tri-y's used in world challenge corvettes floating around. You would be surprised who is running them. I think they were built somewhere in the mid west or east. The four main tubes are pretty long and lay down flat at the bottom where they turn and point towards the rear. They require some work to install and are not a direct bolt on, but for a race car I'm told they work very well.

Rag-Top Rick, your buddy sent me some photos, but I noticed there were no clamps on the collectors. He said they are welded to the tubes. That concerns me. I can make anything, but the idea was to be able to simply bolt these on and go. If I were closer I could take a look for myself, but shipping something like that and then possibly having it not be what I wanted makes me question whether to move forward or not. I'm assuming the narrow type band clamps were used originally and that is why they leaked. If proper wide, lap joint, band clamps are used there are no leaks and the connection is very easy to make. I'm not sure if those are available to wrap around a 2.75" tube that goes up to a 3" however.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I'd love to see a photo of the 180 headers. Must look pretty trick. Flowmaster makes a tri-y collector you might want to look at. There are a few sets of tri-y's used in world challenge corvettes floating around. You would be surprised who is running them. I think they were built somewhere in the mid west or east. The four main tubes are pretty long and lay down flat at the bottom where they turn and point towards the rear. They require some work to install and are not a direct bolt on, but for a race car I'm told they work very well.

Rag-Top Rick, your buddy sent me some photos, but I noticed there were no clamps on the collectors. He said they are welded to the tubes. That concerns me. I can make anything, but the idea was to be able to simply bolt these on and go. If I were closer I could take a look for myself, but shipping something like that and then possibly having it not be what I wanted makes me question whether to move forward or not. I'm assuming the narrow type band clamps were used originally and that is why they leaked. If proper wide, lap joint, band clamps are used there are no leaks and the connection is very easy to make. I'm not sure if those are available to wrap around a 2.75" tube that goes up to a 3" however.
Just noticed your latest post, I`ll pm you my cell.....feel free to contact me with any questions!

Rag-Top!

Get notified of new replies

To QTP headers

Quick Reply: QTP headers