Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
jk13
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Confusion

I've been searching through the forums for the past couple hours and have yet to come to a decisive conclusion.

2007 Z06. If I buy and install tire pressure monitors on wheels that will be used for autocrossing/tracking, will my car end up in 'limp mode'?

If so, how can I avoid this without having a dealership program the sensors every time I change my wheels and tires?

I know the questions are short, but I'm trying to keep things concise.

My only objective is to be able to have 'bolt on' racing wheels/tires without limiting the car's performance before, during, or after the wheels are changed.

Thanks for your time,
~Jeremy K.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

You can do one of two things. I have done both.
1. run without any sensors at all in your track wheels. After an hour of driving, it will give you a DIC message saying something to the effect of 'tpms error'. the pressures will all show xx psi. As long as you don't have any sensors, you can still turn AH off. If you are a drag racer and don't have sensors in the rear, but do in the front, thats when you will run into problems. You need either all or none.

2. Buy a tpms reprogrammer. I bought one from forum member BEZ06, it was relatively inexpensive and is easy to use.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

with Mike!!

With no sensors on any of the wheels you'll have approximately an hour before you get the message "Service Tire Monitor". That's one hour without shutting down the ignition.

When you do get that message you won't be able to go into Comp mode or turn AH off. After you shut down, restart, and clear messages, you should have another hour.

So....if your track sessions are not longer than an hour you may be okay.

I think the best thing is to run sensors - I have them in my track wheels.

Forum vendor Katech sells the Bartec Trackside for about $140.

You can get an ATEQ VT10 directly from them for $99 + $15 shipping:

http://tpms-usa.store-ateq.com/

BTW, I just added a link to a video below of how to use a tool to program a set of sensors.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-09-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
jk13
Heel & Toe

Do you have to reprogram the sensors each time? For example, when I put the original wheels back on, will I have to reprogram those sensors?

EDIT: I just got a chance to check out the video. I'll admit. That was way easier than I thought it was going to be.

Last edited by jk13; 01-09-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by jk13
Do you have to reprogram the sensors each time? For example, when I put the original wheels back on, will I have to reprogram those sensors?

EDIT: I just got a chance to check out the video. I'll admit. That was way easier than I thought it was going to be.
The TPMS computer in the car can hold 4 sensor ID#'s in its memory, so each time you swap wheels/tire/sensors you need to do the relearn procedure.

Yes - it's very easy to do if you have your own tool. It only takes about a minute or so.

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just buy the tool, I got mine from Wright tools in Michigan. It is really nice to see what your tire pressure is as your grip peaks then falls off.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM
jk13
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to figure out which tool is the best bang for the buck lol
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rogrammer.html

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Confusion

Quick Reply: TPMS Confusion