Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Seat Mount Question

Purchased Pfadt Racing Seat Mount kit and Sparco Evo 2 plus seat. OEM seat came out easy and Pfadt base seems to fit. Sure can't fit Sparco seat into 2002 Z without hitting the plastic pillar trim!!

What gives! I thought the whole purpose of this set-up was to be able to quickly change between the OEM seat and the race seat, keeping the race seat mounted to the Pfadt seat kit as a module. I did not realize that I would need to remove the pillar trim just to get the seat to fit. I contacted several sources before making this purchase.

Any thoughts??? Am I over looking or doing something wrong.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MYRX
Purchased Pfadt Racing Seat Mount kit and Sparco Evo 2 plus seat. OEM seat came out easy and Pfadt base seems to fit. Sure can't fit Sparco seat into 2002 Z without hitting the plastic pillar trim!!

What gives! I thought the whole purpose of this set-up was to be able to quickly change between the OEM seat and the race seat, keeping the race seat mounted to the Pfadt seat kit as a module. I did not realize that I would need to remove the pillar trim just to get the seat to fit. I contacted several sources before making this purchase.

Any thoughts??? Am I over looking or doing something wrong.
FWIW - my car had a Sparco Evo II in it when I bought it (not the plus) and it fit with all the trim in place, but it was pretty tight for sure! Not sure how much wider the plus is than the Evo II, but that may be the issue.

I hope that's not it, because I can't think of an easy way around that one! Good luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mikah,

Call Aaron at Pfadt Racing. I believe he had an Evo 2 in his car before he switched seats. i am not sure whether it was a plus or not.

I am running a Cobra with the Pfadt seat mounting system without issues but I think it is narrower than the Evo2 plus.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by J.R.
Mikah,

Call Aaron at Pfadt Racing. I believe he had an Evo 2 in his car before he switched seats. i am not sure whether it was a plus or not.

I am running a Cobra with the Pfadt seat mounting system without issues but I think it is narrower than the Evo2 plus.
Thanks J.R., I'm all set with mine! Was just thinking how tight mine had been and I bet the OP's plus is even wider.

To the OP - you might need to switch to an aluminum (Kirkey, UltraShield, etc.) seat and that would be narrower overall for the same seat width.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Mikah:

I pulled up the Sparco site this morning. Not much difference in the width of the EV02 and EVO 2 +. It will be interesting to talk to Pfadt on Monday, I emailed them yesterday. It sure seems like the locking pillar trim (where it covers the OEM seat belt) blocks the installation. I suppose I could remove the driver side OEM seat belt and pillar trim. Just did not intend on doing this to the Z as I drive to and from Road Atlanta.

Thanks for suggestions anyway.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Please keep us posted on how this works out. You have the exact setup I was going to order next week. I may save some headaches based on your experiences.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same seat.

But I used Hardbars seat rails. They allow the seat to sit a little lower and you can pivot it back.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
I have the same seat.

But I used Hardbars seat rails. They allow the seat to sit a little lower and you can pivot it back.
Does the seat clear without removing the seat belt trim? Does any part of the seat contact the door panel? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
MYRX
Instructor

FYI:

The height does not seem to be the issue. It is the width... Im' removing the OEM seat belt today. I will let you know the results, (post a picture too).
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

This is on a C6... but it might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-the-door.html
Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I have the same issue with my setup (Sparco EVO 2, Pfadt seat bracket). Only difference was that I also used a Sparco slider. The factory belt was removed and the plastic trim "trimmed", wished it would have been possible without going that far. The wing of the seat also contacts my door at the top near my window resulting in some squeaking.

On a positive note the seat fits great and secures you in place letting you concentrate on driving
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
MYRX
Instructor

FYI:

My seat is in the car now, but it was necessay to remove the driver side OEM seat belt and plastic lower pillar cover. The sill cover is still in place. The Pfadt seat mount kit is properly installed and I used the slots to max.

The seat is wedged in, and the wing just barely touches the closed door....although you really can't tell, (no dent).

My guess is that my EVO 2 Plus is wider that the website shows. By my measurements it is 1/4" - 3/8" wider. I think the EVO would have made it. No way this seat , (Evo 2 +) fits with the OEM seat belt housing in place. Also the seat I have touches the tunnel on the right side and the door sill on the left side, (at the front of the seat)

I plan to purchase another lower pillar cover and just cut out the area that covered the lower OEM seat belt housing. Only....I will have a little more work to do when I swap seats now.

Anyway, started the car up drove...no seat belt message. Good Deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seat Mount Question

Quick Reply: Race Seat Mount Question