Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penskes: Update or Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Penskes: Update or Upgrade?

I've got HardbarUSA Penske 8100 double adjustables, and I'm very very tempted to upgrade to the new 8300/8760s with the clevis mounts and fancy rebound adjuster.

Anybody interested in my pin-top 8100s? They began life as shortened Mallets (?), then they were Gary@HardbarUSAs personal shocks and received a full rebuild/refresh. The LF has a minor leak at the reservoir that I'm in the process of getting fixed... it's a simple o-ring that's aged. They are used, I am the third owner that I know of. They work great.

I'd also like to solicit opinions from folks that are running the 8300s or 8760s... how do you like them? Running the clevis mounts? Street miles, or just track? Where did you mount the reservoirs/route the hoses?

My other alternative is while the shocks are with HardbarUSA/LEMD getting the o-ring replaced, I can upgrade these shocks to the new mounts...

Last edited by gkmccready; 01-11-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I know there are a bunch of cars running around with the HardbarUSA/LEMD Penskes ... somebody must have a strong opinion here. The 8100s I have are great, but I am very very tempted by the new mounts... my need for the latest and greatest toys could be your winfall with the 8100s...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My question for you is, when you first bought the 8100's how much faster did they make you over your previous shocks? How much faster will the new ones be over the 8100's. Do you think the new mounts will help you?

Steve
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I never timed before and after. I can tell you my terminal speeds are up 15+mph after some corners. That should translate in to serious improvements in times. The new mounts are more of a convienence, honestly, and the upgrade would allow me to experiment a bit more with ride heights and rake options.

Get notified of new replies

To Penskes: Update or Upgrade?

Quick Reply: Penskes: Update or Upgrade?