Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testimonial for DRM radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Testimonial for DRM radiator

A while back I made a thread here about my overheating problems. I was seeing coolant temps of 260 and oil temps of 300+ and was forced to take cool down laps. I wound up buying the Ron Davis radiator with integrated engine oil cooler as a complete kit from DRM. Yesterday I made it back to the track for the first time since and was shocked at the improvement. My peak coolant temp was 220 and my peak oil temp was 239! Now, there were other factors.

1) prev rad was original w/ 138,000 miles
2) prev coolant was 50/50 dexcool of unknown age (came in car)
Now running 25% dexcool / 75% distilled w/ 2 bottles redline water wetter
3) ambient temps were ~70 yesterday instead of ~80
4) when changing rad I was able to blow more crap out of the AC condensor

But still, holy cow what an inprovement!

And my oil still gets above 170 degrees on the street, it just takes it a while to get there. So thank you to DRM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn your motor is thanking you !! hahah
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure i never had that kinda heat at the track with my car before but i too added that rad and it brought the temps down great. Get a heat extractor hood and it will be even better yet. I have one From DRM and it dose a great job
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. It's hard to think about radiators on a freezing cold day here. The bank said -15 degrees, as I drove by 30 minutes ago.

You can install a lower t-stat and turn the fans on a little sooner. For lower water temps.

Randy
Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
LS6vett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am using the Ron Davis setup from DRM with the 25% mixture and water wetter and have been well pleased with it

Hey Randy...ya been doing any ice racing this year??

Here is a question though. With temps getting into the teens this weekend in South Carolina is 25% gonna keep it from freezing up. I think a 50/50 mixture is good to about -30 deg so I think I'm ok but would like a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion before risking it. The car would normally be in a nice warm garage in these conditions but will have to endure the teens at Roebling Road this weekend. I have a nice cover to use but don't think it will be of much good if it gets a little windy

Pat
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6vett
I too am using the Ron Davis setup from DRM with the 25% mixture and water wetter and have been well pleased with it

Hey Randy...ya been doing any ice racing this year??

Here is a question though. With temps getting into the teens this weekend in South Carolina is 25% gonna keep it from freezing up. I think a 50/50 mixture is good to about -30 deg so I think I'm ok but would like a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion before risking it. The car would normally be in a nice warm garage in these conditions but will have to endure the teens at Roebling Road this weekend. I have a nice cover to use but don't think it will be of much good if it gets a little windy

Pat
I didn't build a new car for this year. Tire supply is drying up, and my buddy that I race with just had their first baby a week ago. So that throw him out for the year. I will be driving a different car on the 24-25. Same car as my old one, with about 1/3 the horsepower. It's more fun driving a slow car fast then a fast car slow I'm sure someone else will need a driver for the endro, so I will get the phone call. Someone called already and assumed I quit racing after last years crash. I'm not dead yet, so push foward I will.

We use these antifreeze testers. You suck up some antifreeze-water. If one ball floats it's good to XX degress, if two ***** float it's is good for xx degrees and so on. You should be able to find a gauge down there, and add antifreeze to match the outside temps. You can throw a blanket over it for the night time. It will help retain some heat in the system..

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Testimonial for DRM radiator

Quick Reply: Testimonial for DRM radiator