Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you tilt a fixed back seat????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do you tilt a fixed back seat????

Has anyone seen a way to make a fixed back seat tilt forward? I have the Ultra-shield Pro Road Race seat and want to see if there is a good /safe way to make it tilt forward so I can access the back of the car. this is a street and track car.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

To keep it in safely you may not want to do that.

I also have the Ultra Shield Seats, and have them boltd to the floor with the HardBar mounts and a fixted back support to the harness bar.

Seat movement may not be a good idea for safety
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
waterplay
Pro

I agree it is not ideal but my car is a 68 convertible and I need access to the rear. The battery is back there and so is the storage area. In looking at the NASA rules book I don’t see where it would be illegal. Although the car will be used for HPDEs so some rules don’t apply. BUT I still want to be safe. I see Sparco makes a universal base tilt kit http://www.racer91m.com/servlet/the-...SE-TILT/Detail
But man that looks weak to me!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a roll bar in your car. I do not think NASA will let you run without one.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can work the head clearance, look at a set of the dual-locking sliders. They'll pass tech and let you move the seat forward and back as required.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
waterplay
Pro

Originally Posted by beerkat
Do you have a roll bar in your car. I do not think NASA will let you run without one.
Good point! I now have a 4 point from Auto Power. That's what had been keeping me off the track. Stinks for me BUT glad they want us all safe!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
If you can work the head clearance, look at a set of the dual-locking sliders. They'll pass tech and let you move the seat forward and back as required.
Who has them? do you have a link? Should have the room. But my seat is mounted very low now (read to the floor). how much higher is this other mount?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the Sparco sliders lock both rails. I think most of the big name seat manufacturers offer appropriate sliders, you'll have to adapter them a bit to hold whatever seat mounts you've got. I figure they're an inch to 1.5" higher than without them.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
Good point! I now have a 4 point from Auto Power. That's what had been keeping me off the track. Stinks for me BUT glad they want us all safe!

OT, but Nasa was strict at an event I was at. I have a 6 pt welded in my vert with padding in contact areas... as I pulled up to tech I could see them all thinking, "great, another vert we gotta send home" is your 4 pt welded or bolted?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I have a Sparco Evo in my '72 LT-1 car.....You should move the battery to the well behind the passenger seat for ease of access and better wieght distribution.......

If its a convertible, doesn't the rear tonneau door open giving you free access ???? My car is a coupe with a rollbar and a race seat . Even though I moved the battery to behind the passenger seat, it is still a PITA to get the battery out with the rollbars diagonal and seat belt brace. Its still fits.....barely.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
If its a convertible, doesn't the rear tonneau door open giving you free access ????

Plus, the C3 is a different animal when it comes to seat position. The seat literally is laying on the floorpan. I installed C5 seats into my '68 and had to fabricate my own brackets. The large diameter steering wheel doesn't help either.
If you are determined to do what you are asking about, then you are definately going to have to fabricate your own brackets or buy a sport type seat that will fold forward instead of tilt. Neither however is good for track use.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
waterplay
Pro

Originally Posted by GettReal
OT, but Nasa was strict at an event I was at. I have a 6 pt welded in my vert with padding in contact areas... as I pulled up to tech I could see them all thinking, "great, another vert we gotta send home" is your 4 pt welded or bolted?
It is bolted in. I was told that that is ok and I checked the rule book also. I may see the Mid-Atlantic regional Director this weeked and I will double check with him.

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
If its a convertible, doesn't the rear tonneau door open giving you free access ???? .
Yes but only when I don't have the hard top mounted. It is my understanding that my type of car runs better with the hard top on.
As for relocating the battery that is not a bad idea. But I have the same seats on both sides so still no way to get back there.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
Yes but only when I don't have the hard top mounted. It is my understanding that my type of car runs better with the hard top on.
The hardtop does nothing for stiffening the chasis if that's what someone told you. Plus, it adds about 50lbs in weight.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 PM
waterplay
Pro

Originally Posted by sperkins
The hardtop does nothing for stiffening the chasis if that's what someone told you. Plus, it adds about 50lbs in weight.
Going on some old reading the Verts with the hard top mounted are more aerodynamic than the regular hardtop cars. That was why most all the old vintage winning cars were verts with the hard top on. I found that odd but what happens is the reg hardtop has a recessed rear window and that created a vortex and broke up the flow of air in a negative way. This info does not pertain to the late 70s that had the bubble rear window.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you tilt a fixed back seat????

Quick Reply: How do you tilt a fixed back seat????