Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Yukon Denali XL

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
C3-R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2004 Yukon Denali XL

I'm looking at and seriously considering buying this vehicle, which will be an everyday driver but also an occasional tow vehicle pulling a 24 ft box trailer fully loaded which weighs close to 7500 to 8000 lbs.

Truck has the 6.0 motor, self leveling (airbags i think) rear ride height adjuster, and heavy duty tow package.

Thoughts or experience towing with this vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C3-R
I'm looking at and seriously considering buying this vehicle, which will be an everyday driver but also an occasional tow vehicle pulling a 24 ft box trailer fully loaded which weighs close to 7500 to 8000 lbs.

Truck has the 6.0 motor, self leveling (airbags i think) rear ride height adjuster, and heavy duty tow package.

Thoughts or experience towing with this vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ive been towing with one for a while now. But towing an open trailer. Great tow vehicle, but the tow capacity is only 8000 for the XL and 8200 for the non-XL.

Having just bought a 24' loaded Shadow GT Daytona trailer, I find myself needing a new tow vehicle now
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
C3-R
Racer

Thanks for the response.

I will only be towing a few times a year. I was thinking this would be a "decent" compromise as opposed to going with a 3/4 ton pick-up.

How does the self leveling work on keeping the rear ride height correct? That's my biggest concern as I've hooked the trailer to my wife's tahoe just to move it around and really sags the rear of the tahoe...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does the self leveling work on keeping the rear ride height correct? That's my biggest concern as I've hooked the trailer to my wife's tahoe just to move it around and really sags the rear of the tahoe...
Here's a shot of mine towing the open trailer, no sag here...and I actually had a family of 5 in the XL with all their luggage too:

Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
C3-R
Racer

Ted,

Thanks. The ride height looks good, although I suspect my trailer has significantly more tongue weight than yours...have a generators, air compressor and cabinets in the front of the trailer. However, my car weighs about 2600lbs, so there is some offset. Also, i can probably play with balance by not pulling car so far forward...

Do you like the truck? Do you notice the self leveling feautre adjust when you hook the trailer up? Just curious how it works and how much it actually adjusts for. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
johninar
Drifting

equalizing hitch is the solution to redistribute some of that tongue weight.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not really that noticable, except when I hook up the trailer with the engine turned off the chain will sometimes just miss the ground. After starting the truck the chain comes up to the level you see in the picture.

I believe the trailer should always be loaded so there is only about 600lbs on the tongue, regardless of the load. Someone else here probably knows more about load distribution than me. The C5 is generally always nearly centered, just a tad forward, over the trailer wheels to handle the weight while pulling.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

I pull an aluminum open trailer with my 06 Sierra Denali pickup which has has the Vortex Max engine. My trailer is open aluminum and with the car, I guess, weighs 4,500 lbs. I get about 12 to 13 mpg at 70 mph. It will easily run 80 mph and passes everything but gas stations. I'm guessing with the extra weight and drag you will get 8 mpg at best. And if there is some wind that 1/2 ton is really gonna work hard. If you aren't using it much and not pulling far you might be OK. Also my Denali has terrible brakes and I upgraded to ceramics, so make sure the Trailer brakes are in excellent shape. If I was pulling an enclosed trailer that large any distance, I'd be looking for a Diesel.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I pull 6500lbs with the same truck, no problem at all. like it's not even there. It has factory air shocks, which go bad at 80,000 miles $$$$$.
you still need a proper hitch setup.

it will pull 10000 lbs, and I have seen it done. then you need air bags inside the coil springs to support the tounge weight.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I have a 6.0L 3/4ton Yukon XL, 2007 model. Suspension, brakes, etc are great for towing my 24' Featherlite enclosed trailer. Engine on the other hand is "good enough". It is better than the 5.3L I had before, but don't get in any hurry. I tow right at or just over the speed limit....anything more causes constant shifting and running to redline.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an '04 Yukon XL (2500 series) with the 6L. motor and it pulled the open trailer great.

I expanded to a 24' enclosed and it wasn't up to the job. On hilly terrain, it was a constant battle to keep it up to speed. On level ground not bad, but hills were a killer. The mileage was terrible (8-9 mpg) while towing the enclosed.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

C3-RLike others have said it uses an airbag system. You can hear it once you fire the car up (trailer or not). If you are using a WDH, I believe you are supposed to let the truck level itself first, then make all your adjustments.

Remember, just caus it self levels does not eliminate the need to make sure you have proper tongue weight!!!

Mine towed my open great. Best I ever got was 13MPG, worst was 10. Usually it falls right inbetween there. When I bought my enclosed, I towed it home empty and it got 8-9MPG.

Id also weigh your setup as it sits now too before you decide on a tow vehicle. Or else you might find yourself in the same boat as me! Pace's website lists the standard Shadow GT 24' as 4010#. Taking mine to a certified truck scale ended up putting the trailer at 6000#! That was with nothing in the trailer. Options alone got it to 6000. Daytona Package (finished interior, cabinets, ac bracing), awning, rubber coin floor, escape door, generator door, 8" IBeams, electric jack.

My car weighs about 2660#s, so there is no way Id make my tow rating. Also keep in mind the GVWR of the Denali and the Gross weight of the rear axle. Taking out the 3rd row seat will give you a little more capacity.

larryfs: What symptoms did you get on the air bags before they needed replacing? Im at 76k miles
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
C3-R
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to do it. I dont tow that far. Right now, Pocono, NJMP and Watkins Glen are as far as I go. I think it will serve my needs for the time being. Ideally I'd like a diesel 2500 but this is an everyday driver that needs to be parked at a parking deck.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to do it. I dont tow that far. Right now, Pocono, NJMP and Watkins Glen are as far as I go. I think it will serve my needs for the time being. Ideally I'd like a diesel 2500 but this is an everyday driver that needs to be parked at a parking deck.
When/if you buy, Ill be selling my tow mirrors. Heated, LED markers, LED turn and extendable. I wont be needing them anymore with new truck.

http://www.ttt-mirror.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Couple of suggestions...Transmission: Add a transgo shift kit, Corvette Servo's and Billet OD servo then get a towing trans tune. This will reinforce the soft spots in the trans and give you longevity, better mileage and able to use OD. I tow a 7500-7700 lb enclosed trailer in an Escalade ESV with the above...65mph on X-way and I am at 11mpg, 70 I am at 10.3 mpg, and at 75 I am at 9.7 mpg. Your tongue weight should be about 750-825 lbs, and the air shocks work very well. I scale my trailer empty, add the corvette and measure tongue weight, add in the weight of the corvette for gross weight. It is amazing how much tools, tires, compressors, etc. weigh. Until you hit the mountains you are good to go, in the mountains you will find out how much torque you are missing....For heavy mountain driving you really need a diesel or FI.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towed a couple times with a Yukon XL. With my 2500lb car, 2000lb uhaul trailer, and a good 600 lbs of tools and tires, the back end was really sagging. I don't know if it had airbags in the back. Didn't seem like it. It also struggled on anything but flat land (lack of torque uphill, brake fade downhill).
Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carnut101
I towed a couple times with a Yukon XL. With my 2500lb car, 2000lb uhaul trailer, and a good 600 lbs of tools and tires, the back end was really sagging. I don't know if it had airbags in the back. Didn't seem like it. It also struggled on anything but flat land (lack of torque uphill, brake fade downhill).
Denalis had the autoride standard. Not sure what trim level regular Yukons needed to option that out.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Yukon Denali XL

Quick Reply: 2004 Yukon Denali XL