Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are these brake pads done for??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default are these brake pads done for??

it looks like they got overheated or something

what do you guys think?
mostly the set on the left

Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

BBQ'd! I toasted a set of Hawk HPS's on the c5, they looked similar to yours- and they still worked ok, but not as new, and the pads started wearing a lot faster after they looked like that. I kept bleeding the brakes thinking the soft/lower pedal was air, but it turned out to be the pads. (have since gone to other pads for track only)

How are the rotors? Mine cracked both fronts the next track day after baking the pads, not sure if it was related or they just couldn't take the extra heat of the HP+ pad I went to.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pads have definitely been overheated as shown by the disintegration in various areas. You can still run them but performance will be down, and you might have one or more crumble causing metal to metal with the backing plate on the rotor. If they were mine, they would be in the trash. Move up to a better grade ( higher temp rating) pad and get some cooling to the front brakes.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek,
Looks like you are ready for some new Cobalt Friction pads and Performance AFX rotors!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

these are not my brake pads i saw them used and figured they were overheated, i wanted to check to see if they would be worth a damn still to pick up. since they are real high end raybestos for a good price

they are the raybestos ap1185 st43's which are rated for high temps. i am not sure how they got so overheated.

the set is 95 percent pad still on them.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raybestos ST43's are top notch racing pads and pricey. I doubt they overheated, they are rated for above 1250F+; if these pads overheated, the rest of the brake system is molten aluminum, NASCAR competitors have used this compound at Martinsville in years gone by. No comparison to HPS's or HP+. I have used them in the past and found them to be excellent on a 3600# C4 at Laguna Seca(MURDER on brakes!) I stopped using them because they were too expensive. Great stopping, no fade, confident feel, reasonable longevity. If these are cheap, you would be a fool to pass them up.

Get notified of new replies

To are these brake pads done for??

Quick Reply: are these brake pads done for??