Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Nitto Tire Issue?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cold Weather Nitto Tire Issue?

Ordered up a new set of Nitto 555 IIR's to replace the current 10,000 mile set.

Noticed they came with a warning not to be used below 32 degrees/don't move car/do not mount below ~60 degrees/etc.

This is third set and first time I've seen a warning on them.

Normally I could care less with the car in Florida 100% of the time, but somehow I found myself in Virginia for next few months and it is in the teens for overnights.

This means no transportation! Luckily car is not needed except once a week so I took a chance and ran some errands. No defects noted as of yet (1500 miles on the tires).

Anyone have issues like noted in the link? I would imagine a few experiences occurred to warrant the notice.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent555r2

Actual link is under the 'Proper Use, Handling...Colder Climates.'

Last edited by No Go; 01-18-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I do not have direct experience with that specific tire - but can give some insight on VA winter driving. If the manyfacturer says do not use in freezing temps - believe them to a certain extent. These are max performance summer tires. Rubber compounds keep their elasticity ( grip / traction ) only in a certain temp range. Outside of those bounds hot or cold they dramatically loose grip. We have some very cold days here - yesterday it was 2 yes 2 degrees in the Shenandoah Valley. Today it will be in the mid to high 20's. Like the Goodyear F-1 Supercars and Firestone's I have on the car now, you can drive the car but need to be careful on acelleration, braking and cornering. NO WOT in lower gears, no late braking, and easy on the corners. MY Z ( stock drivetrain) will just spin in 1st or 2nd geat if I hit full throttle. You should be fine if driving responsibly and carefully.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these tires will crack like the warning says. I have seen it first hand on my girlfriend's C5 that she drives year round here in Michigan. I would not want to see what could happen at the track after the damage occurs.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Most of the tires that fit our cars come w/ that warning. I haven't seen snow tires in my size.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

To clarify: I'm specifically speaking on the 'cracking/failing' if you used below 32 degrees F.

I'm fully aware of max perf summer tires cautions...I've used GY Gatorbacks, GSCs, F1 SCs, Pilot Sports, and Pirelli...I've never seen a caution concerning actual failure of the tread/carcass due to cold weather use.

I would guess as the tire ages/dries out...the tread is more susceptable to this failure. I run these full time in Florida (and previously in Nebraska although car was off the road in snowy weather), but now find myself in VA for a period. Just surprised at the possibility. I still love the tire for my use...sticks like glue and relatively inexpensive (in 17 inch size that is).

I also did a search on the forum and didn't come up with any other posts...nonetheless something that one should be aware of.

If anything FYI...

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

You'll find the same warning on the Toyo R888s and, I think, RA-1s, too. I attempted to drive RA-1s in about an inch of snow once back in Ottawa ... I ended up parking the car in a lot within a couple miles and leaving it a day or two until the weather warmed up enough to limp it to the tire shop for snows...

I've never seen them crack, though. I noticed the warning recently, too, and I'm in Northern California where it actually can get close to 32F overnight so I've been keeping an eye on them (and the temps).
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them and occasionally go out and drive my car spiritedly in the cold weather. anything under 20 degrees I(like low teens single digits,) I dont take the Vette out. You have to warm up the tires alittle, drive for awhile on the highway, or anyplace else and take it easy with your throttle corner entrance/exit, and brake earlier and you should be fine. The nittos actually grip better even in the cold than summer street performance tires. I have got them to screech alittle in corner on ramps even in the cold(after driving the car for awhile.) When you first take your car out just be aware that you have very little traction.

Just be smooth and judge your speeds and brake less/easy on the throttle accellererate smoothly and consistently and look out for shiny black spots. and they are fine.. But I dont drive in teen digits because it takes too much to warm the tires and you have very little traction..it just isnt alot of fun because you cant really drive the car like you want to. Ill take the beater out and whip that around until it warms up

I also keep the tire pressure around 29,30 tops...even 27 sometimes that helps with traction in cold freezing weather. anything over 30 and you are sliding everywhere
If it snows then the car stays home..I have been caught in a beginning snow,sleet storm on the highway/parkway one morning and I just kept the car well under the limit and drove smooth hardle braking/braking lite and smooth and way early and I actually was driving faster passing
other cars with those tires. All I was concerned about was getting it home before I had no traction which I did.

DONT drive them in the snow.. you wont go anywhere

Last edited by mark b; 01-20-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Weather Nitto Tire Issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Weather Nitto Tire Issue?