Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Charger or N/A and Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
squidwards vert
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Charger or N/A and Gear Ratio?

I have a forged 383, motor is out so if I need to change pistons (10.5:1 currently) to go SC, now is the time.

Car specs

98 vert, mn6 that is getting beefed up.
stage 2 diff w/410, can change to 390 while it is out
cam 244-248 on 114 LSA
FAST 90/90
1/78 kooks 3 inch all the way
6 pt roll bar on order

I like the 1/4 mile, but I love the road course. However I also like the occasional spirited run with my group as well.

Questions

How well does the super charger do on the road course?
Will 410 work with the MN6?
What is the ideal gear?

Thanks for the help. No time this morning to search for these answers and need to decide on a direction very soon.

I appreciate the input.

the squidman
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by squidwards vert
I have a forged 383, motor is out so if I need to change pistons (10.5:1 currently) to go SC, now is the time.

Car specs

98 vert, mn6 that is getting beefed up.
stage 2 diff w/410, can change to 390 while it is out
cam 244-248 on 114 LSA
FAST 90/90
1/78 kooks 3 inch all the way
6 pt roll bar on order

I like the 1/4 mile, but I love the road course. However I also like the occasional spirited run with my group as well.

Questions

How well does the super charger do on the road course?
Will 410 work with the MN6?
What is the ideal gear?

Thanks for the help. No time this morning to search for these answers and need to decide on a direction very soon.

I appreciate the input.

the squidman
How many RR days do you think you will do per year. This will be more of a deciding factor on many things.

We have a few S/C cars that do RR here and there (most run 1/4 mile). We personally do not recommend the S/C cars for people that are going alot of RR days just because they do tend to run hotter than N/A cars.

Personally I did not like my 4.10 gears with my old H/C setup putting out 460rwhp/410rwtq. I felt that I shifted way too many times compared to other cars on the track. Again if you are doing only a few RR days then you can easily get by with 4.10 gears, but if you are doing numerous days (I did 20 last year) I would suggest a different gear set. With my old setup I found 3.73s were the best choice. After I stepped up to a LS7 with 560rwhp/540rwtq I got rid of the 3.73s and installed 3.42s.

lots of different combinations work so keep that in mind.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
squidwards vert
Racer

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
How many RR days do you think you will do per year. This will be more of a deciding factor on many things.

If I could do it every weekend I prolly would, that's how much fun I have doing it. I would love to compete in a points series.

Wondering if I should move to a dedicated track car?

How do the C4's do compared to the C5's.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

If you like to road race, I would skip the S/C.

You already have a stout power plant. More than enough to go crazy fast.

Most important thing is to learn to drive, which means seat time and read some books.

A good set of tires and rims will yield far greater time improvements than adding more power.

Next up would be some suspension mods like better shocks and anti-sway bars, etc.

Also, the faster you go the more you will need to improve the braking system. Lot of people go with an LG big brake kit in the front.

A C4 can't touch a C5 on the track!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by squidwards vert
If I could do it every weekend I prolly would, that's how much fun I have doing it. I would love to compete in a points series.

Wondering if I should move to a dedicated track car?

How do the C4's do compared to the C5's.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If you can swing it a dedicated track car is the way to go. Phoenix usually has SCCA certified used cars for sale which is a good way to go. I am very close to going that direction right now so I can maybe compete this year in a few events.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

After fighting the battle for over a year, I gave up trying to make the sc work for rr. There are just too many issues to deal with to keep everything working for 25 mins of hard driving, especially during the summer heat. A lot of people do it, but it takes a lot of extra effort. After I blew holes in #7 and #5 pistons, I just put a na motor in and just drive now. Yeah, I have 90 less rwhp, but am just a little faster at the end of the backstretch at VIR. I have more usable torque and probably once I learn to handly the power, I will be a lot faster around the whole circuit.

I haven't heard of a lot of people liking the 4.10s either, maybe 3.73s, but most prefer the 3.42. Then, if you want to do the drag thing occasionally, throw on some nos. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the deciding factor is the roll bar first and formost. Once a roll bar is properly attached then he can hit the track.

Or a dedicated coupe or Z06.

Lots of guys have C4s are do very very well.

That said, after driving many many 4.10 ratios, you will find those are great for drag racing but not on a road course stick with the 3.42s

Same with the SC. NA works quite well and tends not to overheat.

Good Luck
Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

For the cost of all these mods, you might find a C4 that's already converted to a road racer complete with cage.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
For the cost of all these mods, you might find a C4 that's already converted to a road racer complete with cage.
That is EXACTLY what I did. I have an 02Z that I was planning on tracking, but after a lot of thought I decided I didn't want it to get beat up on the track. (I know, I don't deserve the Z!) I bought Jeff's (Shrek) C4 track car. It is top of the line everything. I'm sure there are a lot of C5s out there that will be faster, but to build a comparable C5 would have cost twice as much. I have the C4 almost 100% track ready now for about the same amount of $ it would have cost to buy a high mileage C5. By the time you get it ready for the track, you've dug quite a bit more $ out of your pocket, as you guys all know. Racing is certainly not a cheap hobby, but working on a Navy paycheck I'm trying to keep the costs as manageable as possible.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

oh Darn Red now you have TWO corvettes.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
squidwards vert
Racer

Thanks to all who have replied, I am taking it all under advisement.

Get notified of new replies

To Super Charger or N/A and Gear Ratio?

Quick Reply: Super Charger or N/A and Gear Ratio?