Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Corvette gets Competition Sports package

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Chevy Corvette gets Competition Sports package

Because stickers and grey paint make you faster...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090120/FREE/901209978

[...]

The package includes gray-colored racing stripes, headlamps and wheels; a set of Corvette racing pedals; a special engine cover, and the Corvette Racing “Jake” logos on the B-pillar, seat headrest and center armrest.

[...]

Buyers also will get a set of racing-style numbers--based on build sequence--which they can install.

[...]
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Corvette = new Trans-Am???
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the marketing guys had a brainstorm but forgot to include the engineers that actually drive the cars at the track. A little embarrassing.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Because stickers and grey paint make you faster...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090120/FREE/901209978

[...]

The package includes gray-colored racing stripes, headlamps and wheels; a set of Corvette racing pedals; a special engine cover, and the Corvette Racing “Jake” logos on the B-pillar, seat headrest and center armrest.
Chevrolet is offering a special options package this spring to Corvette buyers who want to wring just a bit more performance out of their cars--or take it onto the track--without having to step all the way up to the ZR1.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is just sad.

A 2.73 rear????

Is there any wonder why GM is in trouble. I can get my numbers from Solotime....
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

That's just insulting to those of us who do track our cars, look at what the other manufacters do for there "track" versions of cars. The Viper SRT-10, the GT3-RS it makes us look foolish. Plus I would think the only people that would even buy that package would be waxers, who would spend the extra $$$ on stickers????

What a
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I read through this thread before looking at the article... I really hoped the comments were overly dramatic like happens on the forum from time to time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. That is absolutely atrocious and a mockery to anybody who actually races, has raced, thought of racing, or or even knows what racing is.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

what really is confusing is that they say that the package is available on the Z51 car and the Z06.... then they go on to say the pacakge includes the 2.73 axle in it, but the Z51 comes with the 3.42 axle... What the frak??

that makes absolutely NO sense....

Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey, stickers work for the ricers. Hell, if they add 50hp to a 4cylinder honda, imagine what they'd do for a 427!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

does the fine print tell you that the stickers void your warranty?????
Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I saw this on C6 Gen. Some of the guys were defending GM position. Of course these were guys that never saw a race track, but wanted some of the options that the "sport package" offered.

When I first read the post I was hoping for a lightweight vette with race seats and some other goodies. I should have known that was not going to happen...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sad. I guess the marketing buffoon that came up with this has never actually owned a Corvette. For if you did, you'd realize this is kindergarden marketing 101. One thing that person that dreamed this up, can take heart in knowing that they helped push GM closer to the automotive graveyard.

I wonder if he worked for Pontiac in the 70's? You reckon he misses the Aztek?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of when I bought a new 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder as a performance sports car that was an upgrade from my 1962 MGA.
CALL IT A PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR AND THEY WILL COME

After 4,000 miles, Corvair was an oil burner, had butter on the brakes, axles folded so that sidewall provide support on hard high speed corner....
at 12,000 miles, body and interior looked like new, but everything else was broken..including springs and shocks. Most of the sheet metal screws holding the sheet metal under the engine were missing.

Corvair and MGA driven the same way. MGA had no problems (like new) at 24,000 miles when traded.

After 12,000 miles and two engine rebuilds, numerous clutches and trannys, warranty expired and car was traded for a Mercury 428.

Someone in GM, not likely anyone in engineering, thinks they are living in the '60's. Pure BS. What a joke. Whoever came up with that idea and named it a competition sports package should be ashamed of themselves and should be fired by the government if the taxpayer is going to get any results from their support of GM.

Last edited by cebars; 01-20-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If people buy the car, the hardcore guys still win. No car company can sell a racecar and put it on the road. There just isn't anyway going to get by DOT. Building a mass produced sportscar is like, taking a **** into the wind with both hands tide behide it's back. The genral does a damn fine job, a few splashes on the pant leg, but overall damn good.

Stickers and fancy names aren't my style, but if there is someone out there that want's a rare stickered up hotrod. This is the package for them.

2.73 gear (6 speed auto???)

Did I miss the cost???

Randy
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cebars
Reminds me of when I bought a new 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder as a performance sports car that was an upgrade from my 1962 MGA.
CALL IT A PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR AND THEY WILL COME

After 4,000 miles, Corvair was an oil burner, had butter on the brakes, axles folded so that sidewall provide support on hard high speed corner....
at 12,000 miles, body and interior looked like new, but everything else was broken..including springs and shocks. Most of the sheet metal screws holding the sheet metal under the engine were missing.

Corvair and MGA driven the same way. MGA had no problems (like new) at 24,000 miles when traded.

After 12,000 miles and two engine rebuilds, numerous clutches and trannys, warranty expired and car was traded for a Mercury 428.

Someone in GM, not likely anyone in engineering, thinks they are living in the '60's. Pure BS. What a joke. Whoever came up with that idea and named it a competition sports package should be ashamed of themselves and should be fired by the government if the taxpayer is going to get any results from their support of GM.
Nader would love to here this story. Didn't he win about a million bucks but then over this car. Nobody ever talks about the million dollar lawsuits against the car companies. You know how many cars GM needs to sell to cover a million bucks.

Randy
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I had high hopes when I saw the thread title.......not so much after reading.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Stupid trim package, wish there were someone at GM with the baIIs to do a real club racer like Porsche GT3 /GT3rs.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Corvette gets Competition Sports package

Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

In other news, I will be offering a retrofit version of the same package for sale out of my vinyl guys garage for the low-low price of $49.99!!! Guaranteed to get your C6 just as close to being a race car as the genuine GM part!!

Man, if I were at GM (and I hadn't gotten cut yet), I think I'd do a Sport Interior package that had some seats that actually hold a body in place, and maybe even a factory-installed harness bar, or provisions for installing a harness in the car. Add a subtle spoiler to the rear deck, and then you could add a couple stickers and not be lame!

Last edited by mikahb; 01-20-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be a full write-up in the next issue:

Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

At least one of the designers of this special edition is an Instructor at NCM HPDEs. Thanks to him and others like him I am hooked on racing.

This, however, is probably more of a waxers car. I know this because a friend of mine has the prototype of this edition. She gave up tracking her car in order to keep it pristine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevy Corvette gets Competition Sports package