Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RA1s for autox advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 AM
ZOOMiata
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RA1s for autox advice

Hello All,

I managed to get a spectacular deal on 8 new RA1s (275/40/17). I'm planning to autox with them (and I know they won't be as fast as the Kumhos and Hoosiers). I'm wondering what tire pressures people have found to be effective. I'm looking for a baseline to start with.

92 LT1
revalved Bilsteins (I'm not sure of the specs), not a Z07
sway bar size unknown as of now (and the car is away so I can't check)
9.5 wheels all around

Any advice?

Rob
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Basically you want to have them running in the high 30s hot. On my C5, running 275/305s, I run 35f/33r. With that setup I find a pretty neutral feel to the car.

Of course, your C4 pressures might be different, but the RA-1s definitely don't like to go over 40 psi; then they consistently get that greasy feel.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I was using RA1's most of last year for auto-x as well as HPDE, before finally getting dedicated auto-x wheels & Hoosiers.

Mike has it right - avoid anything above high 30's. Don't let the pressures creep up there either - keep checking and dropping the psi back down between runs.They pick up a surprising amount of pressure as they heat up.

Since you're running same-size tires front & rear, it's tough to give you a exact target pressure, but Mike's 35f/33r sounds like a good place to start.

Get notified of new replies

To RA1s for autox advice

Quick Reply: RA1s for autox advice