Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New T1 Rule; Edjumicate Me on C5 vs C6 OEM Calipers/Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default New T1 Rule; Edjumicate Me on C5 vs C6 OEM Calipers/Pads

As of yesterday, we are now allowed to put C6 (non-Z06) calipers on our C5 T1 cars. I have a brand new set of C5Z calipers and 5 sets of race pads to go with them, so I'm not sure I'll change right away.

Are there more than one type of non-Z06 C6 calipers? When I've looked at them online from various sources, I see notes about Z51 vs. non-Z51, but can't see for sure if there is a difference.

Also, will the pads I have for my C5 calipers fit a C6 caliper? Thanks for any information guys - I've been poking around the interweb this morning looking for answers, but always feel more comfortable hearing from the guys who KNOW!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not 100%, but:

I'm pretty sure the calipers are all the same between the c5/c6. The Z51 C6 has a larger rotor, and a different caliper mounting bracket to space the caliper correctly.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

The Z51 uses a different caliper that won't work. The C6 caliper uses the same pad and is slightly reinforced. There was a recent thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-not-z06.html

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
The Z51 uses a different caliper that won't work. The C6 caliper uses the same pad and is slightly reinforced. There was a recent thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-not-z06.html
Thanks for the pic and the link. That C6 caliper does look substantially more beefy than my C5Z calipers. When you say the Z51 caliper won't work - it won't fit, wrong rotor size, what's the rub?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424
im not 100%, but:

I'm pretty sure the calipers are all the same between the c5/c6. The Z51 C6 has a larger rotor, and a different caliper mounting bracket to space the caliper correctly.
You are correct. There are minor cosmetic changes between the C5 and C6. The C6 brake pad is identical in size to a C5. (I've used C5 Z pads in C6 calipers with good result.)

The calipers of the C6 and C6 Z51 are identical. The Z51 has a different mounting bracket (a seperate piece) to allow use of a larger rotor.

Last edited by OCCOMSRAZOR; 01-22-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Z51 uses larger rotors, therefore has different abuttment brackets. The rear Z51 caliper has a 42mm piston, vs. the 45mm piston in the C5 and standard C6 calipers.

As you can see in the pictures, the C6 brake is not stouter as is the common belief. The differences are the font on the front, and the C6 caliper has deleted the fins of the C5 caliper. Other than that, everything else is the same thickness and dimensions.

in my opinion, the only reason to switch would be for the larger rotors, but Gm you can only get them cross drilled, so you will go through them quickly. Many people downsize the Z51 to standard C5 sizes for the advantage of inexpensive rotors.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

OCCOMSRAZOR and Corvette Pilot have it right :

All C5 & C6/C6Z51 brakes use the same D731/D732 (FMSI spec) fitment pads.

C6 & C6Z51 use the same part number OEM front caliper, which 'looks' slightly reinforced compared to the C5 caliper, but is otherwise identical. A C6Z51 caliper will certainly fit any C5/C6.

Unfortunately, none of these calipers are immune to spreading with heavy track use, which causes the dreaded pad taper issue over time.

The C6 Z51 front rotor is 13.4" diameter instead of 12.8". And yes, it has the useless bling holes carved into it. All you gotta do to use the bigger rotor is switch to the Z51 abutment brackets.

You may want to ask Chris Ingle about his experience with C6Z51 brakes in T1. I know he uses the cross-drilled rotors.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I've been reading for some time on other forums about racers having the C6 caliper last longer then the C5 caliper. Here's a reference:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/6/282276/ShowThread.aspx

Mods, maybe merge these two threads on calipers.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikah,
Mounting wise, the C5 and C6 calipers are the same. The C6 does appear to be a little stronger, though not sure that it is. All pads are the same D731 for the front, D732 for the rear. C6 and C6 Z51 are the same caliper, you just need a different caliper mounting bracket. The rotor is larger 13.38 to 12.75, so a little more torque available. The Z51 rotors do have the holes in them though.

Did you move to California now? Are you ready to try out the Cobalt Friction pads yet?

Let me know.
Robert Finlayson
Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
Z51 uses larger rotors, therefore has different abuttment brackets. The rear Z51 caliper has a 42mm piston, vs. the 45mm piston in the C5 and standard C6 calipers.

As you can see in the pictures, the C6 brake is not stouter as is the common belief. The differences are the font on the front, and the C6 caliper has deleted the fins of the C5 caliper. Other than that, everything else is the same thickness and dimensions.

in my opinion, the only reason to switch would be for the larger rotors, but Gm you can only get them cross drilled, so you will go through them quickly. Many people downsize the Z51 to standard C5 sizes for the advantage of inexpensive rotors.
Great pics and info, thanks! It looks from the picture on the bottom like the C6 caliper is thicker in the center. You can clearly see table through the hole in the center of the top of the C5 caliper, but on the C6 it's solid. It is apparent, though, that the C6 calipers are not the ultimate brake setup, but if they'd give me more life per set than the C5's, it would be worth a try!

FWIW, there is no mention of upgrading rotors - so I think that option is out all together. Plus, I'm not sure a C6 Z51 rotor/caliper setup would fit under a 17" wheel - which we are required to run.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Plus, I'm not sure a C6 Z51 rotor/caliper setup would fit under a 17" wheel - which we are required to run.
It won't fit 17"
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
You may want to ask Chris Ingle about his experience with C6Z51 brakes in T1. I know he uses the cross-drilled rotors.
Yep, I've been running the Z51 setup on my 08 LS3 for over a year now and have been very pleased with it. The rotors don't crack and the calipers don't spread (as much or as often). I actually went all last year without changing calipers or rear rotors. I changed the front rotor every 2 races instead of at each one, but I didn't have to - they didn't crack. I have 4 sets of front rotors in my trailer/garage now. They are pretty beat up, and stressed cracked, but none of them have cracked all the way to the edge yet...so I'm just going to burn the rest of them up during the year.

The front caliper seems to have thicker outer walls which help with spreading. I've still seen some tapering problems, but it's top to bottom and not from side to side. Generally speaking, the pads wear really well from side to side, so Chevy's improvements actually worked! I don't think it gives you any more braking force, but it does seem to last longer - a good thing!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

where are people buying these from?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

There could be other factors not just caliper thickness appearance. The metal could be cast differently or the parts in the caliper positioned differently to give more or less stress on an = thickness part. I don't think you can judge by just looking. Racing on them will bring out the flaws in both. So who wants to be the ginnea pig?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
There could be other factors not just caliper thickness appearance. The metal could be cast differently or the parts in the caliper positioned differently to give more or less stress on an = thickness part. I don't think you can judge by just looking. Racing on them will bring out the flaws in both. So who wants to be the ginnea pig?
I think Chris Ingle has been the guinea pig...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Lots of guinea pigs on other forums. Maybe Jason will chime in from that link I posted above, he's on this forum too.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mikahb
Great pics and info, thanks! It looks from the picture on the bottom like the C6 caliper is thicker in the center. You can clearly see table through the hole in the center of the top of the C5 caliper, but on the C6 it's solid. It is apparent, though, that the C6 calipers are not the ultimate brake setup, but if they'd give me more life per set than the C5's, it would be worth a try!
On closer inspection, you are correct. The picture is a little misleading, as the C5 has a recessed border around that center hole for the anti rattle clip, that the C6 doesn't use, but the top of the C6 is definitely a little thicker if I look closely.

Get notified of new replies

To New T1 Rule; Edjumicate Me on C5 vs C6 OEM Calipers/Pads

Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Lots of guinea pigs on other forums. Maybe Jason will chime in from that link I posted above, he's on this forum too.
Guys,

Very simple. The C6 caliper has more material in the right places (mostly on the bridge) that keeps it from flexing nearly as much, or nearly as quickly. C6 front calipers can last for many sessions at Road America before spreading. C5 ront calipers last one or two sessions.

C6 front calipers can last for MUCH longer than C5 fronts. This saves money so you don't have to replace calipers as much, and you don't ruin nearly as many pads from uneven wear caused by spreading.

This isn't about rotors, or any of the rear stuff.

The pads used are identical. You don't need to replace your caliper bracket- the C6 caliper will bolt directly to your C5 bracket using your C5 slider pins.

You can pound on the brakes at a place like Road America with the C6 caliper alot harder for more laps, whereas with the C5 caliper, it is done after a couple of HARD qualifying laps.

Jason

Last edited by jasonberkeley; 01-22-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Sounds like time for a C6 caliper group buy. Where's Gene Culley?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Norbit2
8th Gear

Right now C5 calipers just fit under my 17" wheels. Can anyone confirm that C6 calipers will also fit or are they a little taller inside the wheel barrel? I assume the casing of the C6 calipers does not sit hire that the tops of the C5 caliper Fins?

Quick Reply: New T1 Rule; Edjumicate Me on C5 vs C6 OEM Calipers/Pads