Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of the new Goodyear Eagle GT tire? Replacing my Eagle RSA.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the new Goodyear Eagle GT tire? Replacing my Eagle RSA.

I'm replacing my Eagle RSA's and wanted to get opinions from the people who know tires.
You are all in here, so let's hear it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

What kind of car are you talking about and what climate are you in?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

Originally Posted by sperkins
What kind of car are you talking about and what climate are you in?
New Jersey.
I'm thinking about runing the Eagle GT on the coupe and the sedan for the winter.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've heard some pretty good things about the GT, even in the snow. You'll notice improved wet/snow traction over the RS-A's, but they will not be as quiet or ride as smooth. Also, the RS-A's have slightly better dry traction. The RS-A has been Goodyear's flagship OE equipment tire for years and years (even on some full size SUV's and trucks which is just rediculous IMO). The biggest compaint I ever had when I had my GY shop in Atlanta on the RS-A was mileage. The RS-A has a softer sidewall relative to most of the other passenger/sport tires they offer, so I would imagine the GT will be slightly stiffer.
The GT has a 400 treadwear rating .vs the RS-A's 260 so you should get a lot more miles on them. I think you'll be happy with the new GT.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

Disclaimer: I autocross my C6, and I plan to buy the same all season tires for both cars when the current Goodyears die. So, this thread is relative in this forum.

Sperkins-
Thank you. You nailed it with the low mileage from the RS-A. I only got 17,000 miles on the ones that came with my brand new 2008 Infiniti G35x (part time AWD) sedan.
I need to find a tire that will give me safety in the cold/wet weather we have that includes some snow. 2nd, I want to get the most cost effective tire (mileage, cost) because this is my daily driver and I do a lot of driving. Performance on and off the track is my last concern for this set of tires.

I'm changing out my stock 08 G35x wheels (17"x7.5") for the 19"x9" "sport" wheels from the rear of the 2008 G37s coupe and running the 19x9 at all 4 corners. Infiniti equips that 19x9 rim with a 245/40/19. So, that's the size I'm looking for.
Tire rack is doing a special on RS-A's for $97 and the Eagle GT prices I'm getting are between $200-$250.

What do you all think?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

I'm close to pulling the trigger on these new design Goodyear Eagle GT all-season-tires and I'd really like to get some more input from the tire EXPERTS that I KNOW reside in this sub-forum

Any help would be much appreciated.

Article on these newly resesigned tires:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/0...ng-the-cheap/l
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

to the top
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
motoGPguy
Racer

ttt
Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

All the tire experts on this sub-forum and I can only get ONE opinion ???
Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

BIG thanks again to sperkins.
With that said, I was a little disappointed with the lack of help on here, especially, because this section is visited by the most knowledgeable "tire people" on CF.

I got the Eagle GT's for $800 and spent a total of $112 for 4 installed with road hazard at NTB.
So far, much better than my Eagle RSA's. Especially in the wet. The stiffer ride is BARELY noticeable.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think of the new Goodyear Eagle GT tire? Replacing my Eagle RSA.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the new Goodyear Eagle GT tire? Replacing my Eagle RSA.