Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Pilot Cups

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on Pilot Cups

I was looking for opinions on the Pilot cups and PS2. I only drive the car on the street to get to the track. But I was wondering if the pilot cups would hold up. Also if anyone has run both if the grip on the cups is that much better than the PS2’s.
Thanks for any info
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Take a look at this thread over in the C6Z section - it might have some info for ya:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-awesome.html

Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I had them as rain tires for the track and occasional street use. Actually I used them more on the street since I was lucky it didnt rain that year. I personally think they were the best handling street tires I ever had, but the cost of the tires and the fact that they randomly stop production I decided to go with another tire.

I will go against the other review and say the Hoosiers R6s do out handle them, but not enough for your normal HPDE guy to tell the difference. You should get some decent mileage out of them....

Old 01-24-2009, 05:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Can anyone compare them to Hoosier RAINS (in the wet)?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I found them to be crappy track tires, as the tread depth is quite thin on the outside edge, and I almost ruined a set of rear in less than 1 hour of track time at CMP (and this car as lots of rear camber).

I think they'd be good sticky street tires, but not for the track unless you can afford to replace the weekly.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at this thread over in the C6Z section - it might have some info for ya:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-awesome.html

Bob
Thanks this was a big help

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I had them as rain tires for the track and occasional street use. Actually I used them more on the street since I was lucky it didnt rain that year. I personally think they were the best handling street tires I ever had, but the cost of the tires and the fact that they randomly stop production I decided to go with another tire.

I will go against the other review and say the Hoosiers R6s do out handle them, but not enough for your normal HPDE guy to tell the difference. You should get some decent mileage out of them....

Thanks for the reply. Did the Pilots talk back on the track like a street tire or did they act more like a R compound?

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I found them to be crappy track tires, as the tread depth is quite thin on the outside edge, and I almost ruined a set of rear in less than 1 hour of track time at CMP (and this car as lots of rear camber).

I think they'd be good sticky street tires, but not for the track unless you can afford to replace the weekly.
Thanks David but I am a long way from driving as hard as you
I have managed to make F1's last 15 track days
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

honestly I dont remember, but I never really heard them which might be because I only had them on the street and never really pushed them to the levels I would on the track.

I will ask GeorgeZ to answer your questions. He bought a set of CCWS with MPSC from another ECS customer and I know he used them for a long time on the track before switching to Kumhos I believe (he switched because of price of the MPSC).

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The only thing I didn't like about the mpsc's was that after they got hot, they seemed to get greasy. The front would push and the rear would slide in the later sessions. As far as a rain tire, I didn't like them. It was a good tire, lasted pretty long (14-20 track days). They would talk to you on the track well enough. I never ran them on the street, so I can not comment about that, but I ran them until I corded them at pocono.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
hrtracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 285/35/18 MPSC's on the front of my 01 Z, I have found that on the front the tire performs well, on the rear the outer edge is a problem. I run a 315/30/18 Nitto NT 01 on the rear and I really like the combo. I know many do not agree with running mixed compounds... I have run many tires and have not come across one that wears with the same consistent performance event after event as long as you can provide at least -2 degrees camber. I have at least 10 events on my MPSC's and I would say they are half life, and I drive to and from the track on the tires.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I know most of you here are talking about "track use", HPDE's , ect..,

But what about "autocross" use for the Pilot Sport Cups ?

Most of my use is on low speed autocrosses, on concrete surfaces, which can wear a set of Hoosier A6's in a weekend or two (2 driver car), the concrete wears them like a cheese grater

Just wondering if I could get double the life with the PSC's vs. Kuhmo V710 or Hoosier A6......or even the Kumho V700

FYI- C4 vette running 275-17's all around with lots of neg. camber

Thoughts ??
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAR314
I know most of you here are talking about "track use", HPDE's , ect..,

But what about "autocross" use for the Pilot Sport Cups ?

Most of my use is on low speed autocrosses, on concrete surfaces, which can wear a set of Hoosier A6's in a weekend or two (2 driver car), the concrete wears them like a cheese grater

Just wondering if I could get double the life with the PSC's vs. Kuhmo V710 or Hoosier A6......or even the Kumho V700

FYI- C4 vette running 275-17's all around with lots of neg. camber

Thoughts ??

The cups are going to be hard to get up to temp in autox. With 2 drivers you will be close but you will have to give up the first couple of runs for sure. V710's would be my option. The almost have as much grip as the A6's and they should last a bit longer. You just really have to watch their temps.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I think the underlying theme to your post is looking for the best all around tire that can be driven to the track (unlike Hoosier) and work as a good R compound at the track while being streetable. Unfortunately there are many choices for cars that run smaller tires, but not a whole lot of choices for large Corvette tires in this category. So we get stuck with either the very high priced dedicated R compounds or some marginal street tires.

The best bet (and actually most economical) is to have 2 sets of tires, one for street and one for track. You will get the longest wear on both this way. Pushing street tires at the track could quickly eat up a set of $1500 tires and using R-compounds on the freeway, will do the same.

Like brake pads, a product that does both well and holds up just doesn't exist.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I think the underlying theme to your post is looking for the best all around tire that can be driven to the track (unlike Hoosier) and work as a good R compound at the track while being streetable. Unfortunately there are many choices for cars that run smaller tires, but not a whole lot of choices for large Corvette tires in this category. So we get stuck with either the very high priced dedicated R compounds or some marginal street tires.

The best bet (and actually most economical) is to have 2 sets of tires, one for street and one for track. You will get the longest wear on both this way. Pushing street tires at the track could quickly eat up a set of $1500 tires and using R-compounds on the freeway, will do the same.

Like brake pads, a product that does both well and holds up just doesn't exist.

I’m starting to agree. Do you run Hoosiers? If so how many heat cycles do you get out of them. They are one of the only manufactures that make stock sizes.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
I’m starting to agree. Do you run Hoosiers? If so how many heat cycles do you get out of them. They are one of the only manufactures that make stock sizes.
I use the stock Goodyears as my street tires and Hoosiers as my track tires. So far I have 11k miles on my street tires and I plan on getting a another 4-5k.

I am able to get about a season and a half with a set of Hoosiers, if I rotate them and use them properly. I still have the same set of rears from Sept of 2007. I had to replace the fronts towards the end of the last season, but only because I run a very aggressive allignment that eats through front tires. If I ran a little less aggresive allignment, I could run them a little longer.

But with proper care and a good track allignment, you can get 8-10 track days out of a set, which for me is about a season.

You will find using each tire for only it's specific task will make them each last longer and work better.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Pilot Cups

Quick Reply: Opinions on Pilot Cups