Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I need an oil cooler thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Would I need an oil cooler thermostat?

I was thinking of doing the "fresh air mod" and mounting my oil cooler behind it. For daily driving, I could just keep my solid stock plate cover over it, but at the track, switch to the modified one. Would this eliminate the need for a thermostat? Any drawbacks to this set up? TIA.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

That should work real nice!
Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If the only source of air flow through the cooler is from the license plate area it probably will, the real issue is getting enough air flow through the cooler for the cooler to do what you want on the track. The hole behind the cover will be limited in size and how you locate the cooler behind the plate may limit air flow through the cooler. There isn't a lot of room for a cooler in that area and if the air isn't blowing directly through it then you may not get as much cooling as you expect.

Bill
Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If the only source of air flow through the cooler is from the license plate area it probably will, the real issue is getting enough air flow through the cooler for the cooler to do what you want on the track. The hole behind the cover will be limited in size and how you locate the cooler behind the plate may limit air flow through the cooler. There isn't a lot of room for a cooler in that area and if the air isn't blowing directly through it then you may not get as much cooling as you expect.

Bill
Take a look at Pfadt's oil cooler setup that is what I was thinking about guess i should have mentioned it right away.
AAron's setup works real good on the track and blocking it for the street would work ok (in Va)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think that you will get the desired cooling at that location. It should be directly in front of the radiator for max air flow and cooling. I run the Mocal 150 Degree thermostat with my DRM cooler. It only circulates something like 5-10% of the oil through the cooler till the car gets up to temp. This way it avoids thermal shock from cool oil when the thermostat opens. My car is street driven frequently in cold temps. If I did not have the thermostat, it would take forever to get the oil temps up. Moving a plate to block the cooler is a PITA - the Mocal was about $125, well worth the $.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are there any good DIY write ups on installing an oil cooler?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Even though it would be easier and cheaper to put cooler behind license plate, I think I will go ahead and put it in the traditional place in front of the other condensers. I don't want to take a chance on putting it behind license plate and then not have enough cooling. Besides, I track with a bra on the front, and I don't want to cut a hole there. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Would I need an oil cooler thermostat?

Quick Reply: Would I need an oil cooler thermostat?