Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!..I'm in Uncharted Waters..PS LEAKING

Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Help!..I'm in Uncharted Waters..PS LEAKING

I have an annoying drip from my Power Steering Box/Rack, small enough not to cause problems by big enough to mess up the floor. I have tracked the area of the source to the connection between the steering box and Rack. I would think a seal somewhere between them.

My question; how hard is to get to the seal (?) thats causing the problems? Is this common and should I up-grade with a better......?

'01 C5 with 45K miles....and a few track days

Thanks for any help
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The racks on our cars are notorious leakers, a common problem. Clean the area down with Brake Klene or other cleaner to help pinpoint source of leak rather than the accumulation point. Drive for 50 miles or so to see where leak is coming from. Then check the tightness of all the hose/pipe connections, it is possible although unlikely that one of these is loose. Next check the rubber bellows for tears, abrasions or other damage. Usually it is the rack seals that are leaking, especially on a tracked car. Peal the edge of the bellows back and see how much fluid has accumulated inside. If it is a seal, your only option is replacement with a rebuilt unit. I do not think that NEW units are available any more. It is not a fun job to replace the rack and you might as well go ahead and replace the pump at the same time, it will be next to go.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

suck out as much fluid as you can and replace the fuid with redline power steering fluid. do this like 5 to 10 times to get it all swapped out running the steering in between changes. you might get lucky and this cheap fix will do it. otherwise i bet its the rack i had to replace mine

G?L
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Did the Brake Clean trip already, don't have to drive it to get it to leak. I have been using blue shop towels to focus on just where the leak is coming from. Wrapped the fittings with a towel, showed no sign of leaking. The source of the leak appears to be in the area as pictured.

What ties the rack to the steering box? Anything in that area that can be tightened or do I write it off as a seal?

Have been using Red Line for the last two years.

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my bet is one of the two lines on top, I had a very small amount of seepage around the second line and it would accumulate in the same spot. it is tough but you can get a wrench on there if you pull the front wheel and go in from there.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out Turn 1

http://www.turnone-steering.com/

They will rebuild your rack for $150, heck of a lot better than $700 for a new rack.

Joel
Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Check out Turn 1

http://www.turnone-steering.com/

They will rebuild your rack for $150, heck of a lot better than $700 for a new rack.

Joel
The people at Turn One are top notch!!! they do an amazing job.

I to have the leak, and its something i hate because working on that side of the car is all wet and sticky.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Anyone have a service manual and can post the procedure on how to R&R the Rack?

If I'm looking at it correctly, I think it will slide out the driver's side one I remove my brake duct and maybe the rotor. If I don't have to drop it out the bottom, I'll give it a try, and then ship it off to Turn One.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the steering rack will come out the driver side. you will have to loosen the cradle bolts to get enough room to pull it out. send Turn One your power steering pump also. they will modify the pump to reduce fluid temperatures. the seals start leaking from overheating the fluid. keep the temperatures down and hopefully you won't have to do the job again.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wish I had known about turn 1. cost me 1600 to have mine replaced at the dealership on my C6 when I had the same thing.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Last time I removed a rack I ended up sliding it through the gap in the passangers side and then lifted it out the top. Getting the ABS module out of the way is big fun. No matter how you do it removing the rack is a major PITA. You may also want to give DRM a call they have a poly bushing for the rack to help tighten up the steering a little.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
the steering rack will come out the driver side. you will have to loosen the cradle bolts to get enough room to pull it out. send Turn One your power steering pump also. they will modify the pump to reduce fluid temperatures. the seals start leaking from overheating the fluid. keep the temperatures down and hopefully you won't have to do the job again.
Thanks for the input....I'm hearing the same thing on the LS1 forum about Turn One. I will get in contact with them next week.

And "96CollectorSport", already made the call,

The oil temperature makes sense, perhaps a better oil cooler then the OEM Z51 is in order. Already paid one visit to DRM a couple of years ago for a bigger radiator with an internal engine oil cooler. Maybe an underdirve pulley would also be in order while I'm in the neighborhood.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!..I'm in Uncharted Waters..PS LEAKING

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!..I'm in Uncharted Waters..PS LEAKING