Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on spring changes

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Need advice on spring changes

Hello Gentlemen.
My 95k mile '98 c5 was driven like a daily driver and never saw a track.
It is a base suspension car and you can tell by driving it.

I have z06 shocks and sway bars ready for install but am debating on whether or not springs would be a necessity.

Can anyone give me an idea "how bad" it will be if I keep the base suspension springs on the car but upgrade to the zo6 shocks and bars?

I have stock sized rims and tires. I don't really intend to beat up on the car- I simply wanted to get rid of some of the "floating" that I notice with the original suspension. the car will be a cruiser with some spirited driving but it'll be rare if I take it lapping.

I look forward to your insights.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default ?

let me rephrase the question:

what am I giving up by keeping the base springs with that setup (Zo6 shocks/sway bars)?

what would I gain/lose with the Z06 springs?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the purpose of the shock is to control the spring, the shock valving should accommodate the spring rate. Your plan will improve the car, but it's not ideal. If you try to compensate for a weak spring by using a harder shock, the rebound setting could hold the suspension compressed too long, thus causing a loss of traction. I don't know the difference in spring rates for which each shock was designed. Maybe the difference is not great enough to cause problems. The bigger bars will definitely have an effect on mid corner handling by reducing body roll. And since they are pretty well matched, it should be reasonably neutral. The springs and shocks have some impact through the turn as well, but not as much as at entry and exit, since their contribution is felt more in transition, assuming a smooth surface through the turn. So, what you lose without the ZO6 springs, is a better matched shock and spring. How that will impact your specific situation depends on all the other variables. The only thing for sure, you can't know until you try it. Guess that's why race teams have a trailer full of parts.

Last edited by elh0102; 02-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on spring changes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on spring changes