Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM 3 point seat belt on race seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM 3 point seat belt on race seat?

I want to use the OEM three point harness with my race seat in my C6. Does anyone know if I can use the C5 seat belt buckle instead of the C6? It’s half the price and simpler to install.

Obviously I would be using the racing 5 point harness for track events.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Typical race seats (we use Sparcos) have sides too high to use the stock lap/diagonal shoulder belt and have it do its job of restraining you if necessary. If you pull it through the side slot, the shoulder strap won't work, and if you pull it over the side, the lap belt is too loose. Also, the angle of the stock seat belts over race seats may not work right with the locking mechanism. JMHO
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

with NavyVet's comments.

However, let me tell you what I know about the C6 seat belt receptacle question you have.

I swapped out the seats in my C6Z with some out of a regular C6 to get the full power for the passenger side as well as the lumbar and bolster bladders for both sides (both of which you cannot get in a C6Z). The seats came out of an accident car, but I was told the airbags had not fired - and indeed the side airbags in the seats had not fired.

After swapping the seat covers and installing only the driver's seat, I had an airbag light. I noticed the seat belt receptacle was a little lower on the new seat.

After some research and looking at the passenger seat, I realized the seat belt pre-tensioners had fired on the seats I got out of the accident car. Here's a picture of a good C6 seat belt receptacle on the left and one that has been activated to cinch up the seat belt in an accident on the right:

I believe that the C5 does not have this feature, and that's probably why the C6 seat belt receptacle is so much more expensive.

So....I don't know whether the part for a C5 would work with your C6 belts.

I think you'd have several issues trying to use the C5 receptacle - one would be whether the C6 seat belt buckles into it properly, another would be whether it bolts up to the C6 seat adjuster (or whatever you've got your race seat mounted to), and another would be that you would have the airbag light because you'd be missing a required part of the SRS (although Pfadt sells a cable that is designed to deal with that problem when you install race seats).

Good luck!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To OEM 3 point seat belt on race seat?

Quick Reply: OEM 3 point seat belt on race seat?