Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross tire ware question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default autocross tire ware question

I think I already know the answer to this question. From the pictures below…. Is this tire ware caused from coming into the corners too fast?

A little background information….I am a novice Autocrosser. This was my third autocross event. I took about 12 practice runs on Saturday and three runs on Sunday (race day). In general I would say I am running somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not the slowest…but no where near the fastest. I have been listening and learning from the experienced guys. They have been a BIG help. These tires were near the end of their life with about 3/32 of tread before this weekend; But, I was surprised to see the rubber pealing back so much. I just purchase a set of wheels and plan on buying a separate set of tires to use just for autocrossing. I am still deciding between A6s or just continuing to run a set of stock tires. My concern is that I don’t want to tear up a soft set of racing tires if I need to improve my driving skills first.

Thanks for the help,
Charley

Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest is problem is the need for a proper alignment------

Racing tears up R comps and street tires alike----a lot of people say they can't afford R's, but they will be ruining their street tires----

It seems like you were over driving the tires, on most probably an abrasive surface, with not enough negitive camber on the car--so that your tire was going into positive camber---

Do a search about a proper alignment----

wear

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 02-08-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing looks alarming there. The wear areas look normal. The wear itself looks a little odd. I burnt through my F1s last year... I'd guess your tires are old and hard.

Get notified of new replies

To autocross tire ware question

Quick Reply: autocross tire ware question