Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Calipers vs Aftermarket Calipers on a C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default C6Z Calipers vs Aftermarket Calipers on a C5

Which one is better?

Which one is the best BANG for the BUCK?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best bang for the buck upgrade would be the LG G-stop kit. Wilwood SL-6 calipers on your stock rotors. I know several people using this setup along with DRM ducts and have no complaints about their brakes.

They even fit under the stock 17x9.5" Z06 wheels
Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It all depends on if you are going for BLING or stopping power. The C6 calipers look great but require larger front wheels and pad life sucks for track usage. I agree with Z06fix on the LG GStop Wilwood caliper kit. Great stopping power, relatively inexpensive pads, and they fit under the stock C5 Zo6 wheels. They have group purchases on the forum once in a while.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Anything is better than the C6 ZO6 calipers.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LG wilwood kit all the way for a C5. There are better brakes out there, but for the money, it's a winner. I had mine for 1.5 seasons on my C5 and loved them. It took me longer to jack the car, take off the wheel, than change out the pads. Also, after 1.5 seasons, I still had the original street AND track pads with another several events left on them. The wear rate was increadible compared to OEM. Will pay for itself in 2 years or less, since you are not buying brake pads as often.

I think with the release of one piece pads for the C6Z, that will significantly improve the life, performance and ease of installation with the C6Z's OEM brakes. But unlike the wilwood kit, the C6Z brakes will NOT fit under 17" rims. They are big calipers and very wide, so you will need at least 18" all around, so add that to your decision factor.

If you already have 18" wheels, C6Z brakes are so cheap (especially used on the forum), it is an alternative. I have been running them for 2 years now under HEAVY duty and they have worked excellent...

dowside??? YES, PADS are CRAZY expensive (they are probably more expensive than Ferrari brake pads) and they won't last long. Also, they are an ABSOLUTE bitch to work on. I have to take each caliper off to change brake pads, vs. removing a 8ft lb torqued pin on the wilwoods and just pulling them out, and since you'll be wearing through pads at 4X the rate of any other caliper, you will be doing this often...

Is this enough information for you? been there done that, hate it.

Also, the pins WILL seize in the caliper and strip completely, just a matter of time.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info everyone!

I'm hopefully going to do some track time again soon and I'd like to make sure my car can "out stop" a C6Z

I'm going to be ordering rims, most likely 18x11 CCW fronts and 18x13 CCW rears so I want to make sure that the brakes will work with them.

I hope they have a group buy soon! I'd like to get LG's coilovers as well!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette

I'm hopefully going to do some track time again soon and I'd like to make sure my car can "out stop" a C6Z
You'll have to catch one first
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You'll have to catch one first
That's the EASY part!

I've got that covered..
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I'm going to be ordering rims, most likely 18x11 CCW fronts and 18x13 CCW rears so I want to make sure that the brakes will work with them.

You might check, I don't think the 18x13's will fit under the rear of a C5 without some major work. Lots of guys running 18x12's though with no probs.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
You might check, I don't think the 18x13's will fit under the rear of a C5 without some major work. Lots of guys running 18x12's though with no probs.
I'm installing the L5 fender flares.. didn't want to tub
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I'm installing the L5 fender flares.. didn't want to tub

Ahh I see. That should look awsome.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Ahh I see. That should look awsome.
Thanks!

Somebody's gotta keep spending $ to stimulate the economy!

Just don't tell my wife
Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

LG wilwood kit all the way for a C5. There are better brakes out there, but for the money, it's a winner. I had mine for 1.5 seasons on my C5 and loved them. It took me longer to jack the car, take off the wheel, than change out the pads. Also, after 1.5 seasons, I still had the original street AND track pads with another several events left on them. The wear rate was increadible compared to OEM. Will pay for itself in 2 years or less, since you are not buying brake pads as often.

I think with the release of one piece pads for the C6Z, that will significantly improve the life, performance and ease of installation with the C6Z's OEM brakes. But unlike the wilwood kit, the C6Z brakes will NOT fit under 17" rims. They are big calipers and very wide, so you will need at least 18" all around, so add that to your decision factor.

If you already have 18" wheels, C6Z brakes are so cheap (especially used on the forum), it is an alternative. I have been running them for 2 years now under HEAVY duty and they have worked excellent...

dowside??? YES, PADS are CRAZY expensive (they are probably more expensive than Ferrari brake pads) and they won't last long. Also, they are an ABSOLUTE bitch to work on. I have to take each caliper off to change brake pads, vs. removing a 8ft lb torqued pin on the wilwoods and just pulling them out, and since you'll be wearing through pads at 4X the rate of any other caliper, you will be doing this often...

Is this enough information for you? been there done that, hate it.

Also, the pins WILL seize in the caliper and strip completely, just a matter of time.
How would you compare the stopping performance of the LG Willwood kit to C6Z calipers assuming both are using the "best" aftermarket pads.

I believe I can get the entire C6Z setup for $900 which makes it hard to refuse

Thanks for your helpfull detailed response!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

How would you compare the stopping performance of the LG Willwood kit to C6Z calipers assuming both are using the "best" aftermarket pads.

I believe I can get the entire C6Z setup for $900 which makes it hard to refuse

Thanks for your helpfull detailed response!
Performance...no doubt the C6Z calipers over the SL6 Wilwoods. The C6Z calipers are like TWICE the size of the Wilwoods. The piston and casting are huge. If you could see them side by side, it's like day/night. Actually, just from memory, I wouldn't be suprised if the stock Z06 rears are even bigger than the SL6 fronts (yes Z06's are that big). If this means anything to you, I would NEVER put the SL6 caliper on a 7 liter 500+ hp C6Z06.

I recommend HIGHLY against the C6Z brakes, simply for the cost of running. The money you think you are saving for just the cost of the caliper, will cost you 5X fold in the cost of pads. They are the most expensive pads on the market for any BBK or Corvette. Wilwood pads are probably 1/2 the cost and last 5X as long. You will eat through $600 brake pads in 3 days easily with the C6Z brakes. When I sold my car after 1.5 years of track days (12 days +) with SL6's, I still had lots of meat left on the original pads sold with the calipers. Buying C6Z calipers for track use IS NOT an ecomomical wise decision because the calipers are cheap.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Oh, something else I totally forgot to mention...Rotor choices right now are still VERY limited for the C6Z. The cheapest you will find are OEM drilled at $120 each. The next cheapest are DBA slotted at $140 each. If you go with the wilwoodds, you can use stock NAPA type rotors at whatever the current rate. So not only take the cost of pads, but the high price of rotors for a C6Z kit.

Unless you have 600hp 427 in your C5, go with the Wilwoods and you will be happy.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I hope they have a group buy soon! I'd like to get LG's coilovers as well!
If you go with the LG G Stop brakes you may not be able to fit the CCW wheels over the brakes. The G Stop kit uses the SL6 wide caliper which allows the use of thicker brake pads than the typical Corvette SL6 application. The CCW classics do not have enough distance from the wheel mounting face to the back side of the spokes to clear the Wilwood wide calipers without the use a 5/16 spacer.

Bill
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Oh, something else I totally forgot to mention...Rotor choices right now are still VERY limited for the C6Z. The cheapest you will find are OEM drilled at $120 each. The next cheapest are DBA slotted at $140 each. If you go with the wilwoodds, you can use stock NAPA type rotors at whatever the current rate. So not only take the cost of pads, but the high price of rotors for a C6Z kit.

Unless you have 600hp 427 in your C5, go with the Wilwoods and you will be happy.
I don't have a 427, but it will be over 600rwhp without a problem.

Are there any other aftermarket calipers that stop better than stock C6Z or are even with aftermarket C6Z?

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Calipers vs Aftermarket Calipers on a C5

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are going to go the 18" front wheels the StopTech or Brembo BBK's will perform better, but be prepared to spend big $ especially for the Brembo kit. If cost is no object you can go with a full ALCON brake system but I think that requires a different master cylinder and possibly spindle modifications too. The Alcon's really are for a race only application.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
If you are going to go the 18" front wheels the StopTech or Brembo BBK's will perform better, but be prepared to spend big $ especially for the Brembo kit. If cost is no object you can go with a full ALCON brake system but I think that requires a different master cylinder and possibly spindle modifications too. The Alcon's really are for a race only application.

If I had the extra dough, Brembo would be my first choice, with Stoptech's being a very close second. Both are better than C6Z brakes, but are very big, so your going to have to choose a wheel wisely.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

I'll see if I can swing the Stoptech's

Any recommendations for the CF vendor that may have the best pricing?

Thank you and everyone else who responded for assisting me with my next wheel choice!

Quick Reply: C6Z Calipers vs Aftermarket Calipers on a C5