Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Structural Integrity of older tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Structural Integrity of older tires

I am considering buying a brand new pair of Kumho v710s that have been stored since 2003.

Any issues with buying tires that have been sitting around that long? I realize they may not be as fast as a recent set, but I am still new to the track scene so I am not as worried about fastest time as I am about getting time in the seat.

Are there any other issues I need to be concerned about when buying a set of tires that old for track use?

Thanks.

Last edited by Exotica; 02-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would like to know too. I just got some old GSC competition tires for next to nothing but they have been out of production for years.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

TIres have a shelf life due to the composition of the rubber breaking down. I would not have anything over 6 years old on any vehicle. There have been numerous stories on the news about this very subject.

Bob
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

About 3 years is as far as I would go....I have some 2 years old slicks that have already hardened a good bit, but are still safe.

That being said, if you can take a look at them and they aren't dry rotted, or showing signs of cracking, they may be worth a try if they are nearly free.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Kanmer
TIres have a shelf life due to the composition of the rubber breaking down. I would not have anything over 6 years old on any vehicle. There have been numerous stories on the news about this very subject.

Bob
Even street tires only have a useful life of 5-6 years before the compounds dry up. That leads to less performance and the tire can begin to crack at different places, notably on the sidewall and in the treads. Recurring heat cycles can easily speed up the action potentially resulting in tire failure.

Another concern would be how the tires were stored. If they were kept at a relatively constant temp/humidity, in a dark area and not stored near an electric motor, they might work as an autocross tire for short courses (maybe speeds under 70-ish??). I would not want to go out on a track with them where speeds could be high.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well to offer up a little more information...

The tires would not be nearly free but rather about 50% off of new price.

I intend to do HPDE events more than auto-x, but no timed races. I am looking for a good price on tires while I get some seat time this season doing 6-10 track events. I'll probably hit speeds in the low 140's on the front stretch at Thunderhill (NorCal) given the 500+ HP I am pushing.

I will not be able to see the tires prior to purchasing them and would have to rely on the word of the seller (a CF member) who says they have been stored in bags, out of the sunlight for the past several years. Prior to that he has no knowledge of the storage since he bought them from someone else before that.

I was thinking the price sounded good if there were no issues with the age of the tires.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotica

I was thinking the price sounded good if there were no issues with the age of the tires.
I wouldn't do it. 50% off in not nearly enough. I would only use for auto-x or as front tires. Our cars oversteer so easily with all the power--you need good rears.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Exotica

I intend to do HPDE events more than auto-x, but no timed races. I am looking for a good price on tires while I get some seat time this season doing 6-10 track events. I'll probably hit speeds in the low 140's on the front stretch at Thunderhill (NorCal) given the 500+ HP I am pushing.

I will not be able to see the tires prior to purchasing them and would have to rely on the word of the seller (a CF member) who says they have been stored in bags, out of the sunlight for the past several years. Prior to that he has no knowledge of the storage since he bought them from someone else before that.

So you're saving about $250 for the front pair? And you don't get to see them? The seller can't account for prior owners or how the tires were stored. That $250 savings is not worth the potential for a failure. And Murphy's Law will probably decide when that failure happens (140+ just as you start to brake for a sharp off-camber turn )

If it's seat time you want, then consider something like Kumho MX's or the new XS. Either tire will work for track days where you are looking for seat time and they will also work as street tires.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would encourage you to use a less aggressive tire. Learn on something like Kumho MXs and work up to sticky tires. Getting to know your car on the track with a more forgiving tire would be money well spent. The MXs give you tons of feedback before they let go.

JMHO - Good luck to you and have fun on the track. It's addictive
Old 02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Too old for me in my opinion to go on a big track or autocross. Take your money and buy a set of used scuffs (Hoosier,Kumho,Toyo's,ETC) with newer date codes from someone here on the forum. I would feel a lot safer with those and they are usually all over the place here F/S.

Just my .02
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer

Bob

I wouldn't purchase them. I made that mistake once - purchased a new set of Hoosier RS305 tires (several years old in storage) - and experienced a failure that could have been very serious had I not pull off the course at VIR when I first felt the problem. See pic below:

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by AlohaC5

I wouldn't purchase them. I made that mistake once - purchased a new set of Hoosier RS305 tires (several years old in storage) - and experienced a failure that could have been very serious had I not pull off the course at VIR when I first felt the problem. See pic below:

Bah...Mike that happened cuz you overheated your tires trying to catch me Coming to NASA next week?

In all seriousness, that is a perfect example of what is being talked about. Older tires should be returned & made into swings or recycled.

Bob
Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Mine have a production date of 11/05. I was planning to use them for some autocorsses and a NASA school this summer. Still too old? They still have stickers on them and have been stored in bags. I know the I got them from.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll take some of your suggestions and look for some more appropriate tires.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...er-recall.html

FYI
Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 AM
ekess744
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they were my tires he was asking about and they aren't for sale anymore because of the recall. Im the one that posted the recall in c4. I surprised all you eggspurts didnt know about the recall yourself. That would have been far more helpful than spouting off about the the agging of rubber, don't cha think? The guy that told me about the recall (he had the recalled tires himself back in 03-04)in the first place said he would run them for auto-x if he were in my shoes. The seller that I bought them from wants them back because he is going to run them, even after hearing about the recall.

On another note, (nothing to do with sale point of view)I think you guys are just out trying to scare this guy about the age thing. if these weren't recalled I'd run on them all day. Tire go down for all sorts of reasons, not just age. I understand that the rubber breaks down with age on any tire, especially a slick but 5-6 for street tires? give me a break. Yes they need to be sold by within a certain self life, but thats assuming the tires going to spend some a few more years on the car.

Tom told me personally how much horse power he has ad he's only done one event on street tires. He's planning on jumping to v710's, 315s all the way around, no 5 point, no nothing... and how many of you suggested that he start with something less sticky, just 1. Awesome. when I talked to him on the phone safety was very important him so I took it upon myself to research for him, and updated him along the way.

In all reality, the picture of the Hoosier RS305 tires is a serious deal, ive seen a similar blowup of hoosiers in picutres of another forum member, mojove. I can't recall if they were older one or not

So one guy says 6 years, another says 3. hmmmm. I think the recall might have been better info

good ol' cf

Don't bother PMing about this post either because I have my own opinions that have been formed off of this forum

Last edited by ekess744; 02-14-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I won't bother PM'ing you because what I have to say I am not ashamed of.

The OP of this thread asked a very simple and basic question. He recieved numerous replies stating, genreally the same thing. The tires in question are too old to feel comfortably safe running. PERIOD!!! It wasn't a slight against the seller or anything personal. Too bad you took it that way.

I will NOT run any tire older than 6 years old on any vehicle I own. I install tires (amongst other things) for a living. I have seen the data on composition breakdown. Should you choose to run an old "new" discount tire...thats your choice. Freedom of choice is a everyone's right.

Hmm...he has only done one event? I didn't see that anywhere in the post. I saw he was new to the scene. New is a relative term. I am new to the scene but have been doing it for over 3 years and have 40 days.

Safety is the key issue and we are not trying to scare anyone. Just answer his question. You might want to talk to Aaron (Rasrboy) because he pulls a Kumho tire trailer around to ALMS, as well as other venues, races.

as for your oppinion, you know what they say about them. BTW, do you know Tintin?

Bob
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The facts , just the facts about aging tires.........

I will just place this link for you to read ;http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even if the OP were brave (foolish?) enough to ignore any potential safety issues, I still think he'd be better off with a set of newer scrubs than a set of old anything. A set of 6 year old rock-hard Kumhos for $250 vs a pair of Hoosier scrubs from last fall's T1 race for $150?

That's an easy one to me...

Get notified of new replies

To Structural Integrity of older tires

Quick Reply: Structural Integrity of older tires