Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap of America 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 AM
manicheus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default One Lap of America 2009

With a little over 2 months to go, here are the "Corvettes" registered so far:
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...t.shtml?y=2009

2002 Z06 - Rodney Sizemore
2001 Z06 (Lingenfelter) - Dan Corcoran
2001 ? - Stephen and Gary Morris
2003 ? - Don Maddox and Greg Morris
2008 Mongoose - Aaron Quine
2006 Z06 - Dick and Jerry Clark
2002 Z06 - Rudy Arias and John Oliver
2005 C6 - David and Lee Tilton
1979 Fiat X1/9 - Jeremy Herzberg, Danny Popp and Eric Hulshart

Add to the mix, a Viper ACR, a Porsche GT2 and a GT3 RS, and 5-time winner Mark DaVia will likely be back in his 996TT. It is shaping up to be another epic event. Dan will be competitive, as always. Aaron could take it all. And Danny, if he can keep that Fiat running, will podium for sure! Hopefully, Jeremy will be providing updates from the back seat.

Dick Clark
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by manicheus
With a little over 2 months to go, here are the "Corvettes" registered so far:
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...t.shtml?y=2009

2002 Z06 - Rodney Sizemore
2001 Z06 (Lingenfelter) - Dan Corcoran
2001 ? - Stephen and Gary Morris
2003 ? - Don Maddox and Greg Morris
2008 Mongoose - Aaron Quine
2006 Z06 - Dick and Jerry Clark
2002 Z06 - Rudy Arias and John Oliver
2005 C6 - David and Lee Tilton
1979 Fiat X1/9 - Jeremy Herzberg, Danny Popp and Eric Hulshart

Add to the mix, a Viper ACR, a Porsche GT2 and a GT3 RS, and 5-time winner Mark DaVia will likely be back in his 996TT. It is shaping up to be another epic event. Dan will be competitive, as always. Aaron could take it all. And Danny, if he can keep that Fiat running, will podium for sure! Hopefully, Jeremy will be providing updates from the back seat.

Dick Clark
Can't wait for this to start Dick, look forward to hanging with you guys. I think the Fiat would kill us all with Danny driving, but I think he may run his ST1 car the last I talked to him. Heck, he would woop us all on a tricycle.

Aaron
Old 02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Wow looks to be a great year. I am hoping to make the following year as John Boos (3rd Overall (Red C4) and 2nd Overall (Silver 427 C5Z) back in 2003-2004 area) is building my car since I am in Iraq right now and won't be back for this years running. How many miles is the race this year? I know when John did it back then it was around 10,000 miles and went all over the place. Can't wait to follow your guy's progress this year.

BTW I will be entering a C4 with a few mods
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Wow looks to be a great year. I am hoping to make the following year as John Boos (3rd Overall (Red C4) and 2nd Overall (Silver 427 C5Z) back in 2003-2004 area) is building my car since I am in Iraq right now and won't be back for this years running. How many miles is the race this year? I know when John did it back then it was around 10,000 miles and went all over the place. Can't wait to follow your guy's progress this year.

BTW I will be entering a C4 with a few mods
Look forward to seeing you next year and thanks for your service.

2002 was the last year I ran and it was 5,140 miles. That was the year John and I were duking it out for 2nd overall and it was close at the end with myself in 2nd with Boos only by 5 points behind.

My ride http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...ery/CY05_b.jpg

John's ride http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...ry/SRP10_b.jpg

2003 was 3,931 when john ran the silver Z and he came in 2nd overall.

This year is short at 3,369 miles and pretty much an east coast run. Here is the link for this year. http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...e.shtml?y=2009

The long ones were back in the 80's and those were probably 10,000
miles. Look at this 1985 route.
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...x.shtml?y=1985

Aaron Quine
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Oh ok. Don't know why I thought for some reason it was so much back then. Yeah I saw that it's mostly out East this year so I figured it would be less milage than normal. That was a very close end to 2002 must have been fun. That car you raced then looks amazing. Must have been fun. What engine and hp/tq did that have. How about weight? Love the look of the rear with the brake(?) cooling ducts. John's knowledge of C4's is really awsome so I am hoping to bring a C4 to the table that will have the numbers to stick with the front runners...it will just be a matter of keeping it on the track and come down to my driving hopefully. Any more cool pics of that 2002/2003 One Lap that you have online to get a link to maybe? I have seen some of them before but One Lap has always been of great interest to me. My Dad was going to be the Co-Driver for the 02 race for John but couldn't get off of work for that long. I am on facebook and was able to find Clint from the Supra(the one that had all the mechanical problems) that got 5th I believe and added him to my friends list. Can't wait to be in this great event that I have been interested in since I was in 7th grade. Feel free to PM or post any pictures to me that you want. Otherwise I can't wait to see pictures from this coming year. How is the DaVia Porsche going to do this year you think?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the clock is slowly ticking away to the start of another One Lap. This will be my 5th OLOA. For me 2004 was the longest. Aprox 6500 miles for the wk, 7800 miles total in 9 days. It will be nice to get away from all the crap thats going on for a nice relaxing wk..

See ya at Beave Run.

John
Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

That better be an X1/9 with an LSx in it!

Last edited by Dave OH32; 02-17-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

To answer your questions!

The car had a SB 377 with a 750 carb and about 460 RWHP and weighed in at 2,800 lbs. 373 dana 44 diff & 3 speed automatic trans with manual valve body and ratchet style shifter. When we were on the freeway we would kick in the gear vendors overdrive unit to drop the RPM's down to 1,700 from 2,500.

Then reach up on the dash and retard the MSD timing back (Dial) to get better fuel mileage. In the blue 4X6 trailer in the picture we towed extra parts,tires and a 30 gallon fuel cell with a fuel pump and quick connect line that ran to the other 30 gallon main tank in the car with 2 fuel pump switches on the dash. 60 gallons of fuel and we could go a good ways. We got protested on the extra tank, but when Brock Yates came over and looked he said, "Good thinking guys" and walked away. 02 was the 1st year we were allowed to tow a trailer behind, so we got creative.

Remember, Brock says the only rules are there are no rules in the one lap except car classing.

Here is a link to the 02 One Lap picture page. I have more pictures somewhere, but I may be digging for days. maybe I'll get around to trying to find them and email you some.

Aaron Quine

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...y.shtml?y=2002
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Cool Pictures. Sounds like a cool car. Thats a really cool idea about the trailer fuel cell. Is Ron Adee going to run any more One Laps in the near future? I heard that his Twin Turbo Carbon Fiber Viper started on fire in an open road event and burned up. Has he made any new cool creations?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
manicheus
Instructor

Ron Adee last ran in the 2007 One Lap with a tube frame race car with a turbo Corvette engine wth nitrous and a 120 lb composite "Viper" body. (How he ever got that car licensed for the street is beyond me.) I had not heard about a fire, but he did not finish any of the road racing events until the third from the last day at O'Reilly, where he pretty much dominated. He was clocked on radar at 172 mph on the front straight -- 20 mph faster than anyone else. It took your breath away standing by the concrete barrier when he came flying down that straight.

Speaking of LSx power entries. There is a father/son team entered this year with an LS1 powered RX7.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

John's knowledge of C4's is really awsome so I am hoping to bring a C4 to the table that will have the numbers to stick with the front runners...it will just be a matter of keeping it on the track and come down to my driving hopefully.
Eric, by the time 2010 rolls around, you'll probably need a nuclear powered rolling chasis to keep up with what the old lap dogs will bring.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Is Ron Adee going to run any more One Laps in the near future? I heard that his Twin Turbo Carbon Fiber Viper started on fire in an open road event and burned up. Has he made any new cool creations?
He did have a fire in an open road event, but the car was fixed and ready to go by last year as I recall.

The report I got was that he didn't run in 2008 because he had to devote some time to his business, and couldn't take the time to do One Lap.

This year is going to be very interesting - I know of two One Lap cars running times equal to the Winkler-driven Hennessey Viper from last year, and they are not entries we have seen on One Lap before.

Between whatever Danny really ends up in, Aaron at the wheel of the hellacious GTP, the Stewart/Lier GT2, those new fast cars and the usual suspects of Corcoran, DaVia and such.. this is going to be a barn burner up front.

Jon
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Eric, by the time 2010 rolls around, you'll probably need a nuclear powered rolling chasis to keep up with what the old lap dogs will bring.

HAHA very true. Better get John started on my reactor core
Old 02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
manicheus
Instructor

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I know of two One Lap cars running times equal to the Winkler-driven Hennessey Viper from last year, and they are not entries we have seen on One Lap before.

Jon
Jon, anything more you can share? Are you and Ray going to make it?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Is the henneviper coming back?

This is going to be a good one!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

One of these days Wife is due May 14th and I don't have a street legal car anymore
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by manicheus
Jon, anything more you can share? Are you and Ray going to make it?
Yea.. I suppose I can let the cat out of the bag a little.

The Nissan GTR is faster than the magazines make it sound. When you start throwing suspension and exhaust at it, it gets even faster. I am cringing to know what it will be like when the cars get ECU upgrades.

There will probably be two very serious, well driven, very well prepped GTRs in the event. Of course the question is, "can they last?" One of them has 2500+ TRACK miles and 11,000 road miles and all it has gone through is a set of rotors and a couple sets of pads. If the teams make sure wear-items are fresh before the event, they will probably make it.

As for my dad and I, there are a couple of pots on the stove, and I am waiting to see what boils.

I don't want to share my first choice yet, as if the owner decides not to go, I don't want it to reflect poorly on him or the company, as it will be his business decision and not an emotional one. Thats the one I want, and that's the one I will wait for, the others are good rides, but they will be last min choices if I end up going.

Jon K

Get notified of new replies

To One Lap of America 2009

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Is the henneviper coming back?

This is going to be a good one!

From what I understand, John Hennesey doesn't usually decide until the last minute, or within a few weeks prior. I think last year it was decided earlier because of the Factory Chrysler connection. Somehow right now I doubt we will see any decisions like that being made with the current state of the automotive landscape.

I did talk to Brian Smith a month or so ago about it, asking him if he knew anything and he shrugged it off, Hennessey hadn't mentioned anything, and I asked him about MTI and he said he doubted anything would happen.

Next week DaVia has CMP rented out for two days and I will be hanging out, so maybe we will learn if Adee is coming back, how much faster Corcoran might be, or news on some of the other regulars.

I was thinking that with NASA Nationals being at Miller that we might see Karl Troy take a year off of his 944-cup domination and run the Ultima, but he posted yesterday that it was sold.. so that's probably not happening.

One of the serious wild cards is the Stewart/Lier GT2... Stewart drove the GT3 to fourth place last year, and this car is 3-4 seconds a lap faster than that. Lier has told me that he is willing to step aside and let Stewart drive all of the tracks if they are "in the hunt." My thoughts - Lier won't get in the car, and Ian will be way up front.

I haven't talked to Leh Keen yet, but I got a report he will not be coming back as he has some other race event to do.

Jon K
Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Originally Posted by racerjon1
From what I understand, John Hennesey doesn't usually decide until the last minute, or within a few weeks prior. I think last year it was decided earlier because of the Factory Chrysler connection. Somehow right now I doubt we will see any decisions like that being made with the current state of the automotive landscape.

I did talk to Brian Smith a month or so ago about it, asking him if he knew anything and he shrugged it off, Hennessey hadn't mentioned anything, and I asked him about MTI and he said he doubted anything would happen.

Next week DaVia has CMP rented out for two days and I will be hanging out, so maybe we will learn if Adee is coming back, how much faster Corcoran might be, or news on some of the other regulars.

I was thinking that with NASA Nationals being at Miller that we might see Karl Troy take a year off of his 944-cup domination and run the Ultima, but he posted yesterday that it was sold.. so that's probably not happening.

One of the serious wild cards is the Stewart/Lier GT2... Stewart drove the GT3 to fourth place last year, and this car is 3-4 seconds a lap faster than that. Lier has told me that he is willing to step aside and let Stewart drive all of the tracks if they are "in the hunt." My thoughts - Lier won't get in the car, and Ian will be way up front.

I haven't talked to Leh Keen yet, but I got a report he will not be coming back as he has some other race event to do.

Jon K
This should be a great event this year. Sebring was last run in 2000 and Daytona has never been on the schedule. I was looking forward to watching the runs at Sebring and Daytona but it looks like I will be in Vegas that week for business. Hope someone brings a radar gun to Daytona and documents what the top end was coming out of turn four.

No matter who shows and who doesn't, the competition will be fierce.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer
Hope someone brings a radar gun to Daytona and documents what the top end was coming out of turn four.

I think if someone were to get in the flagstand on the outside it would work the best, and get the car entering the tri-oval.

Brocker said that there has been a 200-mph trap recorded on One Lap, at Michigan, but the car didn't make the turn-in for the infield, so there hasn't been a 200-mph speed on a successful run.

I figure if Adee shows we will see 200mph for sure, and Corcoran's Vette probably has it in it. I know that on paper the Mongoose GTP can get there. I think from there we will see a bunch of 185-190mph cars - mostly because there will be gear/rpm limits.

Derek Whitis' Nissan GTR hit 181 or so late last year and it was stock, but even if they cut weight/add HP - they will still have the mechanical limits of the engine and gears.

Jon K

Quick Reply: One Lap of America 2009