Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing seats?

I have spent the weekend checking out seats at some local shops. I found the kirkey 17" and sparco evo2 fit me the best however, the evo2 harness holes were too low for proper placement. I tried the evo2 plus which is a bit taller but slightly narrower and didn't seem to be a good fit. I'm looking for a seat that is similar in width to the evo2 (or slightly wider) but with the harness holes higher up on the seat. Some other seats I think might work are the Racetech RT4009W, Recaro Profi spg xl and Cobra Imola GT. Does anyone have these in a c5? Has anyone sat in these and can compare them to the sparco evo2 or kirkey 17"? Thanks for helping me with phase 2 of my track car transformation.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
02impactblue
Pro

ttt
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I installed a Corbra Suzuka in my '01 coupe about 2+ years ago & have been happy with it. I'm 230 lbs and 6'1". I have the seat set back 3 hole up in the front and bottom hole in the rear using Sparco seat brackets. I'm using a BK harness bar and my straps fit like they should through the seat back.

http://www.cobraseats.com/suzukas.htm
I think I did a post way back when you might do a search on my profile to find it.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

seat hole placement is very important especially with hans use. You may try removing the seat cushion for about 1/2". The neat thing about aluminum seats is that you can weld over the seat holes and recut them where you want. The problem they absoultely must have a back brace because they will fold in a crash. FIA legal plastic seats of correct age is a completely different animal. Even with my custom made Ultrashield aluminum seat they are never as comfortable as an off the shelf sparco or other FIA seat. Aluminum guys make crappy seating surfaces so think twice in a dual use car.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I also have the Cobra Suzuka and love it! I have Gary's harness bar and wear a HANS and everything lines up perfect. Gary also makes a piece to relocate his harness bar to get a diffierent angle if needed..

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=100
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Ive got 2 recaro for sale with hardbar mounts. Used only at 1 club event.
If interested, send me a messege with ur email for pics and further info.
THANKS

Last edited by shifter77; 02-17-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
...however, the evo2 harness holes were too low for proper placement.
How much were the holes too low? Remember when you reef down on the harness you will be lower in the seat.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by kentz06
How much were the holes too low? Remember when you reef down on the harness you will be lower in the seat.
The sparco was the worst. The holes were 3 inches too low.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
The sparco was the worst. The holes were 3 inches too low.
I have the long torso problem as well and the hole placement is always a challenge. Try the Recaro, they are pretty tall..

I had a Kirkey in a racer once and although they are inexpensive, I always felt that the seat brace might be a problem as it would probably come through the seat like a spear in a big slide backwards into a wall. In a C6/C5 probably not as likely as you will probably be against the bulkhead, but worth thinking about. The real problem is that I have had so many joint injuries in my life (ski racer as a kid) that the Kirkey is really uncomfortable when you come off the track. Obviously you don't notice it on the track, you are preoccupied, but when you get out (or try to) you are one hurtin' buckaroo for about 3 days.

Recaro makes a really comfortable seat for sure as does Scheel, although I don't think anyone brings those in any more. You should really try them all yourself before you decide..

If you are planning to drive the car on the street, a race seat is pretty intense and difficult to get in and out of as a regular thing, not to mention that it is an easy out in a lawsuit if you are ever injured by some fool on the road...

Last edited by Tintin; 02-17-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 AM
linutux
Pro

I'm very happy with the Ultrashield Pro:
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=7

It's definitely a track only seat. Very high sides. Excellent lateral support.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 AM
errance
Pro

A couple folks on this thread have mentioned that Kirkey and Ultrashield aluminium seats are less comfortable than other materials and brands. Why is that? Doesn't the shape and padding matter more than anything? What makes aluminium inherently less comfortable?

I've been thinking about going Kirkey for a dual-use car, so really curious.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 AM
linutux
Pro

Originally Posted by errance
A couple folks on this thread have mentioned that Kirkey and Ultrashield aluminium seats are less comfortable than other materials and brands. Why is that? Doesn't the shape and padding matter more than anything? What makes aluminium inherently less comfortable?

I actually find the Ultrashield Pros very comfortable on the street, even driving 3 hours to and from the track. It's the entry and exit that are challenging. It's just to much hassle to leave them in a daily driver.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

When I installed my kirkey rr deluxe I thought that I would swap them out when the car saw the street but I find them very comfortable so I just leave them in. I do have the foam cover on my seats and used hardbar rails which gave me more fine adjustments.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I found the Kirkey to be torture on the street because of the lack of fore-aft adjustment, i.e. tilt back. Obviously on the track the seat has to be one solid piece, but due to a fracture in my neck and back (see mispent youth above) I need tilt on the road for pavement bumps and expansion joints. Recaro is an orthopedic seat and that is their big promo. I also found that the Kirkey padding and cover is not durable at all and we basically wore it out in one 25 hour at T'Hill.. I think that you get what you pay for. If you are doing 15 lap races, the Kirkey will be great, if you need to sit there for 3 hours, forget it.

Last edited by Tintin; 02-18-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing seats?

Quick Reply: Racing seats?