Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 in T1 till 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 in T1 till 2014?

I've read in the SCCA rulebook that the legal cars are allowed to run 10 years past their last year of production. For the C5, that would be 2014. I know there are alot of competitors in T1 that still run the C5Z, and the C6 LS2 cars seem to be a good option as well... just going to cost more to get going. I can talk myself into either car right now, they both seem to be close in T1 especially now that the C5Z has some weight reduction.

If I get everything on my end and start racing in late 2010 or early 2011, is it even worth looking at the C5Z? I know I can always run ST2 with the C5Z (and the car be competitive with a good driver) and I would like to run with the Nasa guys. I've talked to a few of you guys about T1, but I just can't decide to take the plunge with the C5Z if its to be obsolete in just a couple of years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I've read in the SCCA rulebook that the legal cars are allowed to run 10 years past their last year of production. For the C5, that would be 2014. I know there are alot of competitors in T1 that still run the C5Z, and the C6 LS2 cars seem to be a good option as well... just going to cost more to get going. I can talk myself into either car right now, they both seem to be close in T1 especially now that the C5Z has some weight reduction.

If I get everything on my end and start racing in late 2010 or early 2011, is it even worth looking at the C5Z? I know I can always run ST2 with the C5Z (and the car be competitive with a good driver) and I would like to run with the Nasa guys. I've talked to a few of you guys about T1, but I just can't decide to take the plunge with the C5Z if its to be obsolete in just a couple of years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind, you can run the C6 LS2 in ST2 with NASA (just stay within the 8.7:1 envelope), too, so it wouldn't be outdated there. Therefore you could run a while in either group.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup. just depends on if you can/want to pay for a c6 track car.

Take a look at the cost differences btwn a c5 and c6, and think to yourself if its worth it for how ever many extra years of T1 racing.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The SCCA will find a class for you to drive in, no matter the age of the car. You may have to drive in a regional class or against tube-frame cars, but you will be able to race.
T1 limits your modifications anyways. If you want to start w/ a C5Z now and later modify it to the gills, there is still time to make the transition. There are so many C5's on track that they are not going to just go away.

There is also the TCC, which often holds its events in conjunction w/ SCCA events.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In SCCA there is always the ITE class option which is kind of like ST1 in NASA. NASA ST2 class was spec'd around the Corvette T1 car I hear.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you know the cost to buy a used T1 prepped C6/LS2?
I think a good to very good C5Z06 can be anywhere from high $20s to mid $30s. Until you know the cost to buy either one, it is impossible to make an informed decision.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
In SCCA there is always the ITE class option which is kind of like ST1 in NASA. NASA ST2 class was spec'd around the Corvette T1 car I hear.
Yes, a T1 car can fall right into ST2 and run very well against the competition. There will always be someone in ST2 that will have a big brake kit or something along those lines that will be more prepped for that class that T1 won't allow but with a good driver, some of those can be overcome. I will run in ST2 with the car I buy.

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Do you know the cost to buy a used T1 prepped C6/LS2?
I think a good to very good C5Z06 can be anywhere from high $20s to mid $30s. Until you know the cost to buy either one, it is impossible to make an informed decision.
I've seen the C6 LS2 go from around $45k-$50k but that is just the car itself and no extras to go along with it (tires, rims, etc). The initial buy in is going to be the most difference between the two as I would think that maintenance wise it shouldn't be too much higher than a C5Z.

I'm throwing around the idea to just pick up a C5Z and run it in T1 and ST2 until its outdated in T1, and then start modding it more for ST2 and run with the Nasa boys.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

With SCCA now allowing the removal of interior parts in T1 and the minimum weight of the C5 being set at 3180 with driver, I think this can be a very potent combination in the class. Yes, 2014 is the last year for all C5s.

Being competitive (as in the "best" car) in T1 during your first 2-3 years is something not to worry about. Get a cheap car and learn to race. The lower your investment the less you worry about damaging it. Once you become proficient, then you should start worrying about having the right car.

BTW: A well-prepped T1 car will do very well in ST2. I think I proved that by winning the NASA Championships in my T1-legal racer.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 in T1 till 2014?

Quick Reply: C5 in T1 till 2014?