Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So with GM really on the ropes how ill parts supply be and racing by GM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default So with GM really on the ropes how ill parts supply be and racing by GM?

I think we will be in for a troubled parts supply for GM vehicles which includes race cars, trucks and regular cars. Really looks bad now Parts supplier chain is also expected to crumble this year.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There will probably be some major supply issues after the bankruptcy. I really do not think that it is a matter of "if" GM is going down but "when". Salvage parts will be the source of many of the items we might need for body & mechanical repairs. etc. Expect the price levels on those items to dramatically increase.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had a very hard time finding two parts so far this year. We buy about 200,000 bucks worth of GM stuff a year and if this trend is true it will be a pain to work on anything. We have had it very easy in the past and I hope it's easy in the future. Just think building a LS engine could be like restoring a ZR1-LT5 engine.

Hey John did you get your seal that you have been missing???

Randy
Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I have had a very hard time finding two parts so far this year. We buy about 200,000 bucks worth of GM stuff a year and if this trend is true it will be a pain to work on anything. We have had it very easy in the past and I hope it's easy in the future. Just think building a LS engine could be like restoring a ZR1-LT5 engine.

Hey John did you get your seal that you have been missing???

Randy

Yes I got them but it was the old style but for me that doesn't matter. There is no stock available from GM for a car that ceased production not many years ago. Many parts are on BO now and I see more in the future. Some items like vin specific will not be able to be taken from a junkyard. Will be intersting to see how GM racing fairs with the drastic cuts annouced especially with a public of whom many could care less about racing as their money bails out GM.

Car companies around the world are getting help from their home governments to be fair to GM.

Get notified of new replies

To So with GM really on the ropes how ill parts supply be and racing by GM?

Quick Reply: So with GM really on the ropes how ill parts supply be and racing by GM?