Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which harness bar do you prefer?
Sharkbar
31.82%
Hardbar
63.64%
Other
4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Sharkbar versus Hardbar

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
errance
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharkbar versus Hardbar

Trying to decide on an HPDE harness bar for my C6. Both are about the same price, both seem to have a good reputation on this forum. How do I chose???
Old 02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's a difficult choice. Dan makes a very good bar (Sharkbar) and he also sells Gary Hoffman's product line. Either one should work fine. See if you can work a deal to include belts.

At the February CHP Meet, Dan had some good deals on harnesses.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had mine for years, holds up well.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Moss
Racer

If you use your car as a dd or more than just a track car, you may want to consider how much you can recline tha seats. I believe the sharkbar allows you to recline the seats more than the Hardbar. Check with Dan at Vetteworks, I believe he sells both products.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

I went with the Sharkbar because it is lower (below shoulder height at least on the C6) which is the proper positioning for shoulder belts in any diagram I've ever seen and the availbility of colors and belt retention hoops.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hardbar has "extenders" available now if you need more room to move the seat back.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Sharkbar here, because of set back allowing full seat recline/travel. Tried the Hardbar w extenders and just could not get it to work w confidence.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I just installed my SharkBar this weekend, with some help from a friend, and it was very easy to do.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my hardbar. Very simple and effective design. While it may get in the way of a factory seat when reclined, keep in mind that if you install a race seat and harness you will move the seat further forward. Once you strap in with harness properly the correct seat position ends up being several inches forward of a relaxed street driving position. I run my kirkey really low and the hardbar places the shoulder harness' higher than I would like, but it's safer to have them above horizontal rather than below. The HAN's actually is most effective with some upward angle.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with the Brey-Krause harness bar which I like very much. Depending on how serious you are about tracking your car, you might want to consider a roll bar/cage instead of a harness bar. I'm getting lots of good use out of the harness bar but I realize I need to go to a roll bar in the very near future. In hindsight, I should have gone with the roll bar in the first place.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackboss
I run my kirkey really low and the hardbar places the shoulder harness' higher than I would like, but it's safer to have them above horizontal rather than below. The HAN's actually is most effective with some upward angle.

See the HANS installation guide. It specifies 1"-2" downward slope.

http://hansdevicesales.com/pdfs/HANS...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 AM
kermooni
Racer

I have the hardbar. I am not sure how many HPDEs you have been to and if this is your first.

If it is your first, I would consider using stock everything. Remember the General has dsigned and tested the safety equipment in you car under very strict rules and regulations.

My biggest concery with "any bar" without a proper racing seat is the belt slipping around the OEM seat and hence rendered worthless. The belt "loops" on the bars will NOT solve the problem. They are simply too far away and the seat shoulder angle too steep. Watch slow motion films of a car crash (w/ dummy inside) and you see exactly how far belts streeeeeetch. I have been told to make sure that the belt is between horizontal and +6 degrees above the shoulder. Too low and it will cause spinal compression - too high and it not protect you in a roll over.

Motor sports are extremely dangerous. Buy the best safety equipment you can - your life depends on it.

Run smooth and keep cool. On my first HPDE event, a slightly modified VW Rabbit kept passing me. My instructor was furious - but I did not care. I was never going to out drive my skills.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't remember if it was team tech or hans that recommended the upward angle. I have a feeling it was Curt at teamtech. He is the most knowledgable person I have ever spoken to on safety equipment. In a front impact with the harness' at a slight upward angle the hans moves up as the torso goes forward is how it was described to me. With a downward angle that cannot happen. I've done several safety equipment installs, as well as chassis construction and design. I would never recommend a downward angle in fear of spinal compression if it can be avoided.

Get notified of new replies

To Sharkbar versus Hardbar

Quick Reply: Sharkbar versus Hardbar