Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnetic camber gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnetic camber gauge?

anyone using a magnetic camber gauge on their vette? i wanted to get the longacre digital gauge, but it is 3" and the c6z06 front hub is only 2.5". also, their spindle adapter is the wrong dimension for the rear.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I use a digital guage on the rim. Of course you have to know that when it reads 87.5 that means -2.5 degrees camber, but who cares?

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=126

We also have the bubble type but it is for stock cars and cars with Wide 5 hubs.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=131

We have a very nice collection of other setup tools for everyone's needs, newbie to Professional.
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/index.php?cPath=25

Last edited by ghoffman; 02-25-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

with Gary's post above.

I have a digital level similar to that one Gary has and you can get a very accurate measurement of camber angle.

That picture above is not great, but it gives you an idea how you can just put it vertically against the wheel rim and measure the angle.

One of those buttons on it is a "zero" button. You can zero it on a horizontal surface, then you'll read camber like Gary said: 87.5* would be 2.5* of camber.

Or, you can zero it on a vertical surface (there's a technique for putting it on each side of a perfectly flat surface such as a window on a sliding glass door, and you can get it to read zero when it's perfectly vertical). I've got a wrench under that wheel/tire in the picture to give it some camber, and you can see how the level reads the camber directly as 4.1 degrees.

You've got to make sure you have the level on the rim of the wheel. On that OE C6 Z06 wheel you can see some bulges where the spokes meet the rim, and you have to avoid them.

Most modern tires have a "rim saver" bead, and you can measure either off of that, or directly on the sidewall of the tire - you just have to get the level high enough to be above the tire bulge.

If you've got the car supported on the suspension with the wheels off, you can put the level right across the face of the hub, and the bottom is magnetic so it will stick right on there and give you a perfect measure of the camber.

So.....I think you'll find that a digital level like on the Hardbar site will work great for camber measurement.

Bob
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the only time you would need to "mount" it would be if you have a fancy castor measuring setup....but you can do it easily with a level as shown above using my technique on my site.

I don't know of any aluminum magnets at the moment....
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
klasik-69
Racer

I've got the same digital level that BEZ06 has, pretty sure mine came from Sears. However, instead of running along the side edge of the wheel, I cut a piece of aluminum 1" square tubing the same length as the height of the wheel, edge to edge. That way I can be perfectly in the middle of the wheel and get an accurate reading.

Remember if you adjust the camber on your car, the toe will need correction as well. Some outfits sell the toe plates so you can use a tape measure and re-set the toe. Not sure how well they work.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

The guy who came up with the flux capacitor also invented the aluminum magnet

I was wondering when someone was going to chime in about the magnetic camber gauge !!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
oh right! [smacks head]
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Gents, the magnetic type is for sticking to the center hubs, which are ferrous alloys, like our bearing centers.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's ironic that this topic popped up when it did. I was looking into buying one of these just earlier today. It' under $50. What say you guys?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely interesting in picking one up. Would simplify setting up camber quit a bit. The ones sperkins showed pic of is only $29.99 and has +-0.1* accuracy.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Gents, the magnetic type is for sticking to the center hubs, which are ferrous alloys, like our bearing centers.
Yes, like in the pictures below.

The first shows the digital level magnetically attached to the hub.

The second shows a cheapo bubble type magnetically stuck down inside the hub. It has a very small circular magnet that will fit down into the hub, but ones with a larger magnetic surface would fit on the outer portion of the hub that the digitial level is on. I think something like this is what was being asked about in the original post in the thread.

If you're doing alignments with the wheels off you'll need to rest the ball joints, or as far out as you can get under the lower control arm, on jack stands so the suspension will be compressed. Gary has a great explanation on the Hardbar website about using his toe plates.

Probably the best tool for checking camber (other than a laser alignment lift) is like in the third picture below, a SmartCamber tool.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-25-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Exactly! Personally, I have all 3, sell 2 out of 3, and prefer the short digital one that you put on the rim in a vertical location. It is not rocket science, they all work well.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

for quick camber measurement you can place the bubble guages on the brake rotor as long as the wheels are open enough to fit it through. Otherwise, longacre makes an great attachment that is placed against the rim and with that caster can be read as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

This thread is both informative and humorous at the same time
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And of course it is all worthless unless the floor the car is siting on is perfectly level left to right and front to back.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rbl
And of course it is all worthless unless the floor the car is siting on is perfectly level left to right and front to back.

It also assumes that the gravity vector is the same around the world, or at least pointed in the same direction...

BTW, what is that green car in the pic above?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
RusherRacing
Racer

I like the long acre setup very very nice and easy to use.

Get notified of new replies

To magnetic camber gauge?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoffman

It also assumes that the gravity vector is the same around the world, or at least pointed in the same direction...

BTW, what is that green car in the pic above?
I don't know what car that is - I just pulled that picture from a website that was selling the Smart Camber device.

Bob
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
This is why I think it's easier to do wheels off, ends of A arms supported. You can shim your arm supports (jackstands) till your chassis is square and level side to side.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
This is why I think it's easier to do wheels off, ends of A arms supported. You can shim your arm supports (jackstands) till your chassis is square and level side to side.
I do the alignment on my 4 post lift with the tires mounted. I easily shim the tabs. Very easy and less back breaking.
I still use my old round manetic base from the old days. I just use an aluminum bar across the wheel.

Quick Reply: magnetic camber gauge?