Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver State Speed Week - Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
nelliestar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver State Speed Week - Nevada

Anyone ever participated in this?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nelliestar
Anyone ever participated in this?
I have done a bunch of open road races in the past and actually was a class winner several times. They are sort of boring to drive even at 180 plus, you don't do any passing and the roads are mostly straight.. I went because people in my office wanted to ride along at high speed. They found it exciting.. probably because only a very few have ever been over 120 for a sustained period.

Be warned, it is one of the 3 most dangerous types of event that you can do, the others being the Paris-Dakar type and the Carrera PanAmericana. There is no hospital or trauma centre for at least a two hour flight and you are in a road car that will fly to pieces if you crash it. I have been to several of these where people were killed, usually due to either arrogance or stupidity.

They are also really expensive , figure on going through at least $1500- for the 20-25 minutes that you will run your car. It is safer and more fun to go to a big track in my opinion or to go to Bonneville to watch..

Costs? The absurd entry fees 500-800
Getting there- 250 in fuel - return tow
the crappy hotels and food 500 for two

Want to survive/avoid a low speed crash (like 100 mph) for sure?

new tires - 800-1300
new wheel bearings - 500
new brake pads and rotors - 1000
Really good seat belts and arm restraints - 400-600
Really good helmet for your wife/ co pilot 600
Roll cage/ bar for your car - 500-3000

window nets, halon, 500

over 120 you might survive, but you may not wish to...

over 150 better have a purpose built race car and a lot of luck.

Tintin went through the speed trap at 194 in one of these races but I had a full cage, window nets on both sides, arm restraints for both of us, 6 point harnesses for both of us , race seats and braces for both of us, halon, a VHF radio to monitor the race director etc.. FIA Endurance racing experience and a healthy respect for crashing due to stupidity is a good thing too.. You trailer the car to avoid having any tire problems. The new tires should be Hoosiers as they are the only guys who actually rolling road test their tires at 200+...

In my opinion it is more fun to run a track like Road America, Road Atlanata, Mosport or wherever with your friends than to drive really fast in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply: Silver State Speed Week - Nevada