Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got a Message That I Owe For Damage to a Concrete Barrier--From Last May!!:0

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Got a Message That I Owe For Damage to a Concrete Barrier--From Last May!!:0

I got a message from a club rep last Sat who said he/they needed to charge me for damage that I did when I crashed into a concrete barrier--from an event last May!!! He was catching up on paperwork I guess. LOL I realize many of us sign all that paperwork saying we will pay for any damages (and who knows what else!!) when we do an event and I'm not saying I don't owe it, it just caught me by suprise after all this time!

Just curious if any of you ever had to pay (or charge if you run events) for damages like this? Do I need to start taking pics/video "proof" of what damages are mine and the like (the invoice I got was very vague)? I really hate to ask this, but how much do barriers and such cost to replace/repair?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man , what a drag It seems like insult to injury after you pummel your car, but you are correct - you have to pay for this sort of thing..

I think most tracks will be pretty cool and not mark the repairs up to you, however it can't be cheap. I had a friend who pinballed his car around a curved on ramp in Oshawa Ontario when I was a kid and I remember they charged him for every nut, bolt and washer in the fix-a-roo.

I would think that it is pretty tough to get any concrete work done for less than about $1500- ( I just had an estimate of $5000- to extend the cement deck around my pool) but who knows? If it was one of those movable barriers, they may be cheaper...??

Once again, tough break man - at least you kept your humour about it
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

LOL, honestly man, get you a lawyer, pay a small retainer fee. If they are going to wait almost a year, they have to PROVE that it was you and not someone else that did the damage over the last 9 months. The money it would cost them to prove that will likely be more than it would take to fix the barrier. That is something they should have done immediately, in which case you could certainly be held accountable for.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
LOL, honestly man, get you a lawyer, pay a small retainer fee. If they are going to wait almost a year, they have to PROVE that it was you and not someone else that did the damage over the last 9 months. The money it would cost them to prove that will likely be more than it would take to fix the barrier. That is something they should have done immediately, in which case you could certainly be held accountable for.
It all depends on if you want to play there again. Any law actions towards a track and you will not race there anymore.

Randy
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Not saying to sue them, just refuse to pay and hire a lawyer. Make them prove their case.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Not saying to sue them, just refuse to pay and hire a lawyer. Make them prove their case.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
It all depends on if you want to play there again. Any law actions towards a track and you will not race there anymore.

Randy
Or anywhere else that they tell... some people do not avoid their responsibilities...

heavychevy, you would not be welcome to run with any group that I rent tracks with your attitude - and I suspect that most members of the forum would feel the same way...

Last edited by Tintin; 02-28-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 AM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tintin
Or anywhere else that they tell... some people do not avoid their responsibilities...

heavychevy, you would not be welcome to run with any group that I rent tracks with your attitude - and I suspect that most members of the forum would feel the same way...
I dont think he is intending to promote dodging paying, but that after 9 months how does one know that they are not being asked to pay for subsequent damage. Retaining council would be a way to be sure you are only being charged for damage you did.

If they are going to charge him for damage, surely it needs to be done in a timely manner.

Last edited by RC45; 02-28-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:26 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tintin

9 months? Hell, the statute of limitations for assault is 12 months. I would be very curious to know who actually did the damage. I think I would easily remember any damage done, given the fact that I have not cause any to date.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barber makes you pay for all damages - but they check immediately after the incident and you will pay before you leave the paddock.

Almost all tracks have that clause. Sounds like the problem was not with the track but with the club you ran with. Seems the track billed them (they have the main contract) and they are just now hitting you up for the charges. Sounds like volunteer labor to me....
Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
...Almost all tracks have that clause. Sounds like the problem was not with the track but with the club you ran with. Seems the track billed them (they have the main contract) and they are just now hitting you up for the charges. Sounds like volunteer labor to me....
The above scenario sound familiar to me. There are no free "hits" at any of the tracks I know of. If it's a track driving experience event, most clubs charge the registered driver of the car involved with the incident even if it's you buddy driving your car and telling you "Watch this!". (Damage to the track during racing events is normally paid by the club's track insurance or driver fines.)

Refusing to pay probably isn't an option because the club will take you to court, submit their paperwork/logs, insurance/accident reports, videos, etc. to prove your car hit the barrier/wall and then provide the repair billing from the track. Then you still have to pay the bill plus your court costs as well as those of the club.

Contact the club and see what you can work out. They probably have paid the bill already so you might be able to spread the payments out rather than a lump sum since nine months have elasped.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
rbl
Drifting

Pretty lame attitude.

Sounded to me like the club got the bill originally and sat on it all this time. OP said he did it ... so what's up with all the lawyer talk.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by rbl
Pretty lame attitude.

Sounded to me like the club got the bill originally and sat on it all this time. OP said he did it ... so what's up with all the lawyer talk.
Yup, I believe the club get the bill and then they bill the person responsible. If you don't pay the club will and then you will probably be banned from running with them and the cost will be p[assed on to all the other members.

Getting a lawyer involved is the stupidist thing I ever heard
Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM
RickF
Instructor

Originally Posted by varkwso
Seems the track billed them (they have the main contract) and they are just now hitting you up for the charges. Sounds like volunteer labor to me....

My guess is that the club is trying to get an 09 date and the track said "wait a minute, we have this outstanding bill".
Old 02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
Do I need to start taking pics/video "proof" of what damages are mine and the like (the invoice I got was very vague)?
Thanks!
I can't vouch for all tracks but at Autobahn we take pictures of every incident of both the track's property damage and the driver's vehicle damage, then enclose them in a detailed report from the safety team.

Ask them for a copy of your report write up. See how detailed they were.

Many times the bills go to the actual renter of the track, like a car club, who then in turn bill the participant.

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 10:55 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I took out a small part of a tire wall at CMP in December. I said to the track management to send be a bill. His reply was that they do not nickle and dime people for that sort of thing.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Todd Z
Racer

WOW, I don't think it was Road America that screwed up. I bet it is the club that got the bill and was lazy in informing you. I forgot what club you did this with. If it was the one I am thinking of, call the track and ask what the bill was to make sure you are not being upcharged. I seen your car almost done a few weeks ago. Can't wait to see it again in spring. A little faster this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Got a Message That I Owe For Damage to a Concrete Barrier--From Last May!!:0

Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Just how much damage could a car do to a Jersey barrier? Those things are rugged. Do you remember how much damage was done?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Just how much damage could a car do to a Jersey barrier? Those things are rugged. Do you remember how much damage was done?
Let's cut to the chase, how much are they billing you?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
I took out a small part of a tire wall at CMP in December. I said to the track management to send be a bill. His reply was that they do not nickle and dime people for that sort of thing.
Both Roebling and CMP are real reasonable on track damage and oil dry....

Quick Reply: Just Got a Message That I Owe For Damage to a Concrete Barrier--From Last May!!:0