Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB / Used helmet for limited use

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Default WTB / Used helmet for limited use

Need used helmet, open face preferred but not required, name brand, snell SA 2000 or SA 2005, size medium or 7 1/4 hat size: $50 max.

TIA
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

"Used helmet for limited use"

Does this statement imply that you have found a way to limit either the impact to your head, or the number of impacts?
If not, then the usual criterion is that the value that you place on your helmet should at least equal the value that you place on your head.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 03-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your helmet is the most valuble thing you own should it ever be needed to protect your noggin. Don't be cheap and cut corners on your helmet. You can find factory blemished helmets for large discounts. Try racingjunk.com. the paint might have a scratch but will still be a good helmet.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
"Used helmet for limited use"

Does this statement imply that you have found a way to limit either the impact to your head, or the number of impacts?
If not, hten the usual criterion is that the value that you place on your helmet whould at least equal the value that you place on your head.
Profound indeed. Limited use means I will probably only use it once or twice due to health reasons. I will not accept a damaged or "cheaply constructed" helmet, thus the required name brand only. For a couple dollars more than renting, I can own. There are always good deals to be found if one looks hard enough. My last track event I had to share with someone and I belive owning my own helmet would enrich the experience, sort of like having your own bowling ball or cue stick.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Seeing as how most sanctioning bodies still allow an SA2000 helmet and a good quality brand-name helmet costs a few hundred dollars, I don't think you will get a lot of offers at your asking price.

If you are only going to "use it once or twice", then why not rent or borrow one? After the "once or twice" what good will it be to you?

My last track event I had to share with someone and I belive owning my own helmet would enrich the experience, sort of like having your own bowling ball or cue stick.
I guess your argument doesn't make sense to me if the need is so brief and it won't be used again.

When I first became interested in autocross and track days, I had asked about where to get a helmet and what should I look for. Out of all of the responses I got, the one comment that stuck with me was:

"If you have a ten dollar head, then get a ten dollar helmet".

While the chances may be slim that anything really bad will go wrong during the events you plan to attend, remember that Murphy's Law is always around the next turn waiting to be invoked.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...uct/detail/11/

They are having a killer deal.

Randy
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just echo'ing the above. you'll be hard pressed to find a SA rated helmet for 50 bucks...

and the one you find for 50 bucks will have had unspeakable things done to it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spend the money on a good new SA 05' and you will be set for years. The SA 00' will be out of date before you know it since it's aready 2009. Usually when you go cheap you get what you pay for.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB / Used helmet for limited use

Quick Reply: WTB / Used helmet for limited use