Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapter for oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adapter for oil cooler install

I've been searching for the last day and a half and I'm still undecided which adapter to get.

I'm putting together my own external oil cooling system. I already have the core picked out, its an Earls EAR-42510ERL core. All I need now is the adapter and associated lines and fittings.

I'm looking for an adapter that will allow me to use my existing oil temp sensor w/o extending the factory wires.

Also, the adapter I'm looking for has to be easy to install.
I just read a post from a member who couldn't get the adapter installed because it used allen head bolts instead of regular bolts. I want an easy installation.

And finally I'm looking for the best price peice I can find that will accomplish those two things.

TIA for your help!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DRM will sell you the adapter and lines for about $350 if I recall. It replaces the block that holds the temp sensor. On the new adapter block the sensor mounts in the same place. The only difficulty with the install is the left side headers are in the way making it a tight squeeze getting your hands in there to work.

They have a picture of it on their website under the C5 heading. Be sure to specify the connectors and hose length you need since their kit is designed to go with their radiator package.

Dog
Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I used the Lingenfelter adapter and it was the easiest part of the whole cooler installation. I did not have to lenghten the temp sensor wire although it is very tight.
Tip - put the lines on the block (tight) before you mount the block to the engine. Then retorque if needed.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

good tip sperkins!

anyone else?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
DRM will sell you the adapter and lines for about $350 if I recall. It replaces the block that holds the temp sensor. On the new adapter block the sensor mounts in the same place. The only difficulty with the install is the left side headers are in the way making it a tight squeeze getting your hands in there to work.

They have a picture of it on their website under the C5 heading. Be sure to specify the connectors and hose length you need since their kit is designed to go with their radiator package.

Dog
This is correct info. Well besides we have the external cooler figured out to, unless you are mounting it in a weird place.

Randy
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Randy, I'm just looking for the adapter right now.

Do you sell that ala-carte?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Randy, I'm just looking for the adapter right now.

Do you sell that ala-carte?
Sure can. Give me a call

Randy
763-477-9272

I'm running to lunch right now. When I get back, I will put it on our website. I have been meaning to do it, but we have been crazy
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Please look under engine components on our website for more information.

Thanks
Randy
Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

RAndy, that is a nice peice but, what justifies the $150.00 price tag compared to say an ECS or LPE which adapter which is only $99?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

It works. We don't build them in-house. The fitting cost with extra labor to modify the fittings, and gasket cost.

Randy
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

wheel-to-wheel made an awesome unit also, but I'm not sure if they are still around. The DRM unit works well, I have one on my current car.

You have to be carefull, they all are different and the fit can be great or extremely tight depending on the headers you have. In at least one case, my temp sender jammed right up against the header....causing repeaded wiring issues.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is another adapter I found that people had nothing but good things to say about.

http://powrmax.com/PowrBlock%20Oil%2...20Adapter.html

I didn't get it because it had 3/8" npt inlets and I wasn't sure how that would work with -10 AN lines. It is $30 cheaper than the others and looks pretty solid. Keep in mind with the DRM piece you get solid cs support, hell I even got help from Randy and I didn't even buy his. The TPIS adapter is also $150, but that includes the 2 hose end fittings, which you will have to have anyway. But you do know you have the correct angles for the fittings as I bought 3 different ones because I wasn't sure what angles I needed. Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with a Canton when I did the oil cooler on the old C4:
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/..._adapters.html
Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
wheel-to-wheel made an awesome unit also, but I'm not sure if they are still around. The DRM unit works well, I have one on my current car.

You have to be carefull, they all are different and the fit can be great or extremely tight depending on the headers you have. In at least one case, my temp sender jammed right up against the header....causing repeaded wiring issues.
I've got Kooks LT installed on my car. Is the DRM adapter you have installed on your current car the one thats giving you wiring issues with the temp sensor?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waddisme
Here is another adapter I found that people had nothing but good things to say about.

http://powrmax.com/PowrBlock%20Oil%2...20Adapter.html

I didn't get it because it had 3/8" npt inlets and I wasn't sure how that would work with -10 AN lines. It is $30 cheaper than the others and looks pretty solid. Keep in mind with the DRM piece you get solid cs support, hell I even got help from Randy and I didn't even buy his. The TPIS adapter is also $150, but that includes the 2 hose end fittings, which you will have to have anyway. But you do know you have the correct angles for the fittings as I bought 3 different ones because I wasn't sure what angles I needed. Good Luck.
Thanks for the link but the pic isn't working.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the DRM unit on two different cars...awesome piece and worth the $. Never had any issues with the install or any leaks afterwards. Fitment is great and still allows room for service/installation/removal of exhaust.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Just Installed the kit from TPIS http://www.tpis.com/ kit... They sell the adapters separately I had no issues with mine .... normal PITA mounting but took me about 30 minutes to get it all lined up. No leaks after 300 miles. Also did not have to extend the oil temp line (as some warned me about) All in all 1 great kit ... I have photos at this link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...installed.html

Get notified of new replies

To Adapter for oil cooler install

Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Good info. I saw your post earlier and noticed how simple the install looked. thats actually what kicked my butt in gear to get this done.

I didn't see the adapter by itself on their website so I shot them an email.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have the ecs adapter on my car. I had no issues last year with my 20 track days.

You can find it on the website.

Bob
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Bob, are there any issues with extending the wiring for the oil temp sensor with your adapter?

Quick Reply: Adapter for oil cooler install