Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat the heat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Beat the heat?

It's not hot yet, but when it gets warm outside my C6Z gets SO hot inside the cockpit (noticeably hotter than my C5Z) during track sessions, that it is almost unbearable. I wear a fire suit and that only compounds the situation. Even with the windows open, there is just little air movement inside the car to relieve one of the heat. Last year, I almost passed out coming back into the pits I was so hot.

I remember from my waxer days, they use to make a hatch extension so that the rear hatch could be lifted up slightly to provide air movement. I am thinking that little gap of a couple inches, could dramatically reduce the heat inside the car and allow the wind to actually come in through the windows and exit out of the rear hatch.

Has anyone tried this to try and reduce cockpit temperatures? Do they make this for a C6? Anyone see an issue using this for track days? I need to do something this year, and don't want to run my AC at the track.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't imagine the sponsoring organization would permit any car to run with the hatch/trunk 'open.' IMO it would be a potentially dangerous safety concern. If you find the heat that unbearable, perhaps there's a ventilated or 'cooled' driver's suit you could wear or run air ducts inside the cockpit.

I'm in Arizona so heat is just something I've learned to deal with. Heat exhaustion or heat stroke can be dangerous. Don't pass out at the wheel...find a safe solution. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the big problem is that the exhaust runs through the center tunnel. to really help with the heat you need to get up under there and put some shielding in place.

or get some headers that are coated with jet hot or something like it.

or the cheapest way would be to get a coolshirt and an ebay cooler/pump (50 bucks).
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I can't imagine the sponsoring organization would permit any car to run with the hatch/trunk 'open.' IMO it would be a potentially dangerous safety concern. If you find the heat that unbearable, perhaps there's a ventilated or 'cooled' driver's suit you could wear or run air ducts inside the cockpit.

I'm in Arizona so heat is just something I've learned to deal with. Heat exhaustion or heat stroke can be dangerous. Don't pass out at the wheel...find a safe solution. Good luck!
I am not talking about running with the hatch open flopping around. It would be securely locked in place, but raised a couple inchs using this device:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1612

It locks the rear hatch in place like your trunk normally would when closed.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was mentioned above. I use a Cool Shirt. Hallett is just brutal in July/August.
Cool Shirt really makes the weekend more enjoyable.
Being 56, I need a little help dealing with the summer heat.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Matt

Last year we wrapped my headers hoping that would reduce heat but it really didn't hold up so this year we sent them out to jet hot to be coated.

Besides the heat inside the cabin we were concerned that oil lines etc were close enough to maybe cause a problem. Nothing happen last year but we had it on the lift a lot to make sure everything was wrapped tight.

I got the extreme coating and although not cheap it does last for a very long time.

I will be running next week to see how temps are. I have a laser temp gauge so I hope to be able to compare my temps to others to get real data.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
the big problem is that the exhaust runs through the center tunnel. to really help with the heat you need to get up under there and put some shielding in place.

or get some headers that are coated with jet hot or something like it.

or the cheapest way would be to get a coolshirt and an ebay cooler/pump (50 bucks).

I put on Melrose long tube headers last fall they are coated (jet-hot)

and the difference in the heat coming through the tunnel was astounding! down right cool things would melt in console before not any more.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Coat your exhaust and get a tunnel plate w/ a heat barrier... makes a huge difference.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Coat your exhaust and get a tunnel plate w/ a heat barrier... makes a huge difference.

Plus a Cool Shirt / Suit

also a cold damp rag on top of your head under your helmet does wonders.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

You guys are killing me...I really like my, "out of the box" $50 solution much better...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You guys are killing me...I really like my, "out of the box" $50 solution much better...
that vent thing isnt going to do jack. you might get a bit more breeze across your face, but you will still have the problem with radiant heat coming from the center console.

plus, there's no way thats passing tech.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

95Jersey, it's worth a try, but I'm not really sure the extra air will help YOU feel cooler. Wrapping the underside of the exhaust/torque tube tunnel with a reflective radiant barrier will help, but the aluminum tunnel simply isn't very good at insulating the heat away.

I personally run (as in exercise) all summer long and keep pretty acclimated....only one, racing in Puerto Rico, did I nearly reach a thermal "issue" with my body temp. Sooooo, my best suggestion is to spend some time in the local steam room of your YMCA and try and adapt as much as possible.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I am not talking about running with the hatch open flopping around. It would be securely locked in place, but raised a couple inchs using this device:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1612

It locks the rear hatch in place like your trunk normally would when closed.

when you lift, all the exhaust gets sucked right into the hatch lid.

and the cool shirt is the best invention in racing.. EVER.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I know people that used those hatch vents on C5's at autox's and had to explain them every time they went through tech. And the corner workers would still black flag them sometimes. It could be secure as the day is long, but I don't see it passing HPDE tech.

Start pounding water days in advance. If you don't have to ****, you should be drinking water. I spent 2 years in the desert carrying heavy machine guns up mountains, I learned how important hydration is and hard you have to work at it.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

drive with a bag of ice in your crotch.

:
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

The way I get around it is to take off my driver suit and just use a pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt (one layer). I don't like doing this as it negates the whole reason of using the suit, but on those really hot days I will take it off.

Thanks for all the options guys, I will look into each of them. I don't see me spending $2000+ on set of headers just to get rid of some heat, but the shielding and cool suit are both good options.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

just thought of one one thing.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some hot water heater insulation wrap, and put that under your carpet next to the tunnel.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ErnieN85

I put on Melrose long tube headers last fall they are coated (jet-hot)

and the difference in the heat coming through the tunnel was astounding! down right cool things would melt in console before not any more.
me too
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I personally run (as in exercise) all summer long and keep pretty acclimated....
Andy Pilgrim once said that he did some of his workouts with a driving suit and helmet on. He said it really helped him become heat tolerant. This was important as he was driving the C5-R's and C6.R's before driver air conditioning.

I also wonder how much hotter it will become inside for those who removed their interiors. Seems like they are removing a lot of insulation which will drive cabin temps even higher.

Get notified of new replies

To Beat the heat?

Quick Reply: Beat the heat?