Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped spindles

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
djZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped spindles

I posted this in the wrong section before.
How many here are utilizing dropped spindles. If so what brand name are you running. Im interested in spindles manufactured by Raceseng Design. Any thoughts or concerns I should have. Despite the cost of dropped spindles these seem to be more reasonable than others. Ride height should be about 4".
Dave
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Nobody I know of is using dropped spindles.

There is really no reason, if you lower the car a bit and don't get too greedy the setup is great for the track and about as low as you would ever want it on the street.

The geometry works right with a moderate amount of lowering and if you drop it lower than that you will be bottoming on all the driveways that you come out of.

If you want a lowrider look go for it, but there is no practial reason other than bling to lower the car that much.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

have you looked at the clearnace between your front rim and the lower control arm.... a 4" drop spindle will make your front wheel hit the control arm.

3R made them originally for C5/C6's in World Challenge, and others have since. I think the give you about 1"-1.5" drop with no loss of suspension compliance, which is plenty!

I agree with above also, unless you are running super stiff race springs, you can't go much lower. I already bottom out quite hard at several places at VIR in the Z06.

Last edited by davidfarmer; 03-13-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

just for reference, this is the original 3R spindle from 2002....it was the first C5 spindle that I know of.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
djZ06
Instructor

I wish I had access to my computer. Im out of town on hotel computer so its difficult to post link to this product. 1 1/4 drop. The upper control arm mount has high def spherical ball joint. Im wondering why most track guys arent using a dropped spindle setup. Is it the cost of the product, has there been other issues that guys had to deal with. By far its not compensating the geometry.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djZ06
I wish I had access to my computer. Im out of town on hotel computer so its difficult to post link to this product. 1 1/4 drop. The upper control arm mount has high def spherical ball joint. Im wondering why most track guys arent using a dropped spindle setup. Is it the cost of the product, has there been other issues that guys had to deal with. By far its not compensating the geometry.
definitely the cost. there are many more things to spend your money on first.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:22 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

We have them in stock. we build them and we had them on all our world challenge cars. complete with bearing and upper tapered pin.

they cost about the same as a good set of wheels and do more for your car than that.

The point of these is to be able to lower the car without messing up the intended geometry.

Stock spindles on a lowered car really play havoc with the angles of the
A arms and cause too severe camber gain and bump steer.

Plus you get all the advantages of lowering 3200 pounds closer to the ground, without changing the roll centers etc.

We are working on a fully Forged version that will cut the cost down significantly compared to the billet machined ones we sell.

Thanks
Lou G
972-429-1963

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 03-14-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM
djZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
We have them in stock.
We are working on a fully Forged version that will cut the cost down significantly compared to the billet machined ones we sell.

Thanks
Lou G
972-429-1963

Lou a friend of mine has a set of yours (Jay Pilsner) One thing I noticed is that the finish is real rough, and the milling marks from the cnc are very heavily noticeable, of course this doesnt effect the purpose of the product but when Im dropping 5 grand on a billet cnc part I would like it to be like the rest of what I have. Dont get my wrong Im not knocking the performance of your product or the tech the dropped spindle gives towards geometry it just that I found this company web browsing, at its another alternative to whats out there and quality wise I have not seen better and the cost is significantly cheaper. (probably a smaller co. with less overhead cost)
As far as the cost, well when you have a product that has practically no competition in this market product of spindles pricing can be pretty much where you want it to be. I have only come across 4 companies that make, had made or are making the spindle. So for an individual like myself whos getting more involved in racing Im also looking for the best price on the best product. I try to research as much or listen to feedback of others before any purchase.
Lou if you could look at the product there selling and tell me what set yours apart from theres. If its only a pricing issue because LG being a larger company thats understandable being a business owner myself.
I would be also interested in your upcoming forged version. Is there any compromise in the design to bring the cost down or the forging is that much cheaper.
Thanks Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 AM
LG Motorsports

?? I think you just blasted my product, and then said, "Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking your product." ?? Uhhhh Ok But no problem

The machined billet spindles do cost too much, and that is why we are paying for the tooling and having the forged version (shown in drawing) made.

The more machine passes and processes we include, then the higher the cost. So we leave out all but the functional machine passes. With the economy the way it is, we might be able to contract with a machine shop that will beautify the machine work without raising the price. That would be a bonus.

Our spindles have not only had the spindle moved but we move the ball joints and steering knuckle to help the bump steer and to allow the cambers to be where you need them for racing.

But aside from all that, they work. They won many races and pole positions and we NEVER broke a single one, even in a crash.

So they are clearly strong enough and engineered for durability.

The supply is low, and the demand is low, so it does not warrant mass production. But we feel that when we forge them, we will pay off the tooling and be able to lower the price that will increase demand.

It is that simple. Not too many people want them or need them, so it is a specialty product for now.

20% margin on a product like this where you sell 3 sets a year, is not to interesting when you can make 20% on something 1/10 the price but sell 2000 of them. The only reason to forge them is to get the price down enough so we can sell 200 sets. then it becomes a good product.

and ours have the proper points in them and the strength.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LGM

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 03-15-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

One thing Lou said that nobody else has said is about the spindle breaking. Stock ones break, I remember at a WCC race where Leighton Reese broke the spindle ear mounts on a stock in breaking. That is a scary thought, and for any other reason I will be running the HD spindles on on my C6 when I get it back.
Lou, how much do you think the forged ones are going to cost/save over the billet ones?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 AM
djZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by jabbott
One thing Lou said that nobody else has said is about the spindle breaking. Stock ones break, I remember at a WCC race where Leighton Reese broke the spindle ear mounts on a stock in breaking. That is a scary thought, and for any other reason I will be running the HD spindles on on my C6 when I get it back.
Lou, how much do you think the forged ones are going to cost/save over the billet ones?
I know two guys that have snapped theres also, thats why Im trying to get the info. Most responses Im getting are there very costly and not tech (besides Lou) The damage done on my buddies car with stock spindles just carting around elkhart track when right corner dropped was way beyond the cost of these spindles
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by jabbott
Bingo,

Forged spindles should save about $2000 per set. They should cost somewhere around $2995. +/-

I am still beating them up on the tooling cost for the forging tooling. still a work in progress.

Thanks

LG
Old 03-15-2009, 12:47 AM
djZ06
Instructor

?? I think you just blasted my product, and then said, "Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking your product." ?? Uhhhh Ok But no problem

The machined billet spindles do cost too much, and that is why we are paying for the tooling and having the forged version (shown in drawing) made.

The more machine passes and processes we include, then the higher the cost. So we leave out all but the functional machine passes. With the economy the way it is, we might be able to contract with a machine shop that will beautify the machine work without raising the price. That would be a bonus.

Our spindles have not only had the spindle moved but we move the ball joints and steering knuckle to help the bump steer and to allow the cambers to be where you need them for racing.

But aside from all that, they work. They won many races and pole positions and we NEVER broke a single one, even in a crash.

So they are clearly strong enough and engineered for durability.

The supply is low, and the demand is low, so it does not warrant mass production. But we feel that when we forge them, we will pay off the tooling and be able to lower the price that will increase demand.

It is that simple. Not too many people want them or need them, so it is a specialty product for now.

20% margin on a product like this where you sell 3 sets a year, is not to interesting when you can make 20% on something 1/10 the price but sell 2000 of them. The only reason to forge them is to get the price down enough so we can sell 200 sets. then it becomes a good product.

and ours have the proper points in them and the strength.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LGM
Lou, no blasting on my end intend at all. Its my personal opinion on the finish and its something I noticed when comparing. A little bling never hurts. I wasnt aware that the market for these are lower than I thought by looking at your margins and yes they are a specialty product. I can see your reasoning to forge them.
Im assuming the cnc ones have spherical ball joints, is there steering arm pins for race appl. and do you know what the finished centerpoint ends up to be. Have you bottomed out (depending on which track) and again just trying to see what the difference is between one co. and another when it comes to cost.
Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 PM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Lou, when you start forging them & the price drops I will be extremely interested in the set as well! Thanks A.J.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
kelp
Drifting

And for me, here's another given sale. Gotta go with the suspension flow.........If you keep a list, put me on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM
kelp
Drifting

I think LG's go a little lower if I am not mistaken.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM
djZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by kelp
i think lg's go a little lower if i am not mistaken.
1 1/4"

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped spindles

Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM
djZ06
Instructor

Bingo,

Forged spindles should save about $2000 per set. They should cost somewhere around $2995. +/-

I am still beating them up on the tooling cost for the forging tooling. still a work in progress.

Thanks

LG
When are you anticipating these uprights hitting the market, shortly?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 AM
LG Motorsports

we are looking at a 3-4 month lead time for the first samples usually. So if you want spindles then the billet spindles are probably in your cards.

We use 7075 Alloy aluminum which is stronger than 6061. It also costs more. and it costs more to machine.

If any of you want a 6061 spindle just call us and we will be able to lower the price a little to help out.

But our regular spindles are 7075 and they are STRONG and we had a team mate test them against the guardrail at Mid O once.

I will keep you up to date on the forged units. I hate to talk too soon just because the lead time can always change.

Thanks guys

Lou Gigliotti

Actual Forum vendor
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Cheetahman
Racer

Find out who made these, (supposidly an OEM) and see if they can build them to your specs. $749 a pair seems like a deal.

Last edited by ERND IT; 03-17-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: link to non-forum vendor

Quick Reply: Dropped spindles