Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-x newb

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
LS2POWA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-x newb

As mentioned in another thread about my tranny, I plan to start getting into the auto-x scene with some guys from my car club. Im in the process of having a 3200 stall rebuilt to something smaller so it doesnt cook the tranny. Im having srt viper seats installed for bolster support.

Couple questions though that I cant find using the search function. I have a base C6 suspension. I have the chance to grab a set of barely used Z06 springs and shocks and installed for 350 bucks. I cant afford a decent set of coilovers so would the Z06 pieces be an improvement over base springs/shocks?

Another thing Im trying to find is a good but fairly priced hardbar/harness bar and lap bar for a 4pt belt setup. Ive seen NRG setups on ebay for 240 shipped to brey krause bars for 750. Is there anything in between were my wallet wont have a heart attack and I wont have to fear for my safety at the same time?

These events Im going to are definitely for starters so Im not to worried about tires/wheels atm, and pretty sure the Z brake upgrade shall hold up pretty well.

Thanks for your time an any input.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Were you originally building the car for the strip? Sounds like with a big converter like that, that you were.

So, it sounds like you're driving a base C6, right?

If you're just getting started, keeping the car relatively stock and without too many variables of adjustment might be the best way to go. Spend the $ on decent brake pads, some sticky tires, like a Nitto NT01 or something like a good ultra high perfomance summer tire. No run flats.

Once you get used to the car in that type of situation, then start adding one thing at a time and see how it effects your driving and whether you get better with those parts added.

If you're trying to build a car that fits many needs, then that might not be the way to go, but for autocross, at least in the beginning throwing parts at the car doesn't necessarily make things better.

I would still buy the shocks/springs and keep them at the ready and see how you do with the stock setup at first.

Out of all the things you mentioned, to ME.. tires, a good alignment and some good brake pads are all you need to get you started. Like I said, a good set of street tires will let you push yourself, and they talk back to you and let you learn more about what the car is doing. Throwing R-comps on too soon can hide mistakes and hinder your learning.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope you have a great time out on course. It gets addictive.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Start out with the basics. Mods and sticky tires are almost a waste in the early going. Most (note I say most) people just starting out don't know how to really take advantage of them. Plus mods usually change the class you have to run in and that can be demoralizing.

Seat time is the best investment. Isn't as much fun as bolting on parts but it makes more sense at first.

We're going to an event this weekend in Palm Bay. Other side of the state for you but it's a fun place to run.

Link to NCCC south event calendar.....

http://www.ncccsouth.com/Events/events.html

It gets updated fairly often.

There's a group that runs at the Hernando County airport quite often that is a lot closer for you. About an hour and a half north. They're on the calendar too. Sam and Joe put on pretty good events there. Later in the year there will be an event at the Bradenton race track.

Welcome to auto-xing.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Seat time is the best investment. Isn't as much fun as bolting on parts but it makes more sense at first.
Actually, I find racing to be MUCH more fun than bolting on parts...

The only thing I'd say about your auto tranny is to either put an external cooler in line or keep a CLOSE eye on your temps.

Welcome to the addiction, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 AM
muskaroxs
Instructor

How much did you get the viper seats for? "if you don'tmind me asking"
Is there a lot of fabrication to the rails to have them fitted into the vette?
thx
Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 AM
LS2POWA
Racer

Well the car was originally built to be a hwy monster since thats most of my traveling and stock 2.56 rear. Car atm is a 402 stroker with a procharger d1 with every bolton making 607/518. Could make more but I like my tranny to stay alive a bit longer.

Ive got 4 tranny coolers on the car now, one of them has a big procharger fan mounted to it.

As for the seats well, I got them for 1450 shipped. I seen a another pair on the C6 FS section for about same price, not sure if still available. From my readings you just remove the vette bracket mount it to the viper an done. The pita part is swapping over your heated seats if you want them, and dealing with memory seating. Youll have to go into the computer and kill the airbag sensor code since viper side airbags are in the door not the seat.

I cant wait to get everything together an start tearing up my kdw2s lol.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Well, the pro charger would throw you into SSM ( street mod class for 2 seaters ) if it's an SCCA run group. I think... Don't think it's a 'prepared' class, but I could be wrong.

Hope you enjoy your time on course.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my procharged Z falls into SSM (used to be SM2)... my understanding is that its like a catch all for 2 seat cars.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

yeah, Sometimes they cna get thrown into a prepared class... think most end up in XP now since BP isn't around.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't spend a dime (except maybe on an alignment) until you give it a try and figure out if you really like it or not. Alignment isn't a bad idea because if it's really off, your car may do some strange things that may make autox more difficult or less satisfying than it should be. No mod is going to help you as much as practice, practice, practice.

If you decide you really enjoy it and have some money you want to spend, first dig into the rules and figure out where you want to run. If you really fall in love and want to get serious about it, the first mod should probably be a set of dedicated wheels/tires...tires are easily the biggest bang/buck change you can make to the car. After that, it depends how much money you've got, what class you've picked, and what your car is/isn't doing well.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
waktasz
Pro

Get rid of that auto tranny
Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Yeah, I once brought a tranny to meet my wife once----and she kicked us both out the house.

AND...on a serious note...about the NCCC event in Palm Bay......could I just show up day of if I wanted, and pay and register there ?

(hopefully this time there won't be as many cones as the last time I went----and the gates double hopefully will be a bit wider.....although doubt I can go.....but maybe......maybe)

Get notified of new replies

To Auto-x newb

Quick Reply: Auto-x newb