Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Harness / Corvette Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default Safety Harness / Corvette Question

I have an 08 Z06 whose OEM seats obviously do not have provisions for my Safety Harnesses to pass through the seats.

Short of replacing the seats, is there a solution?
What have others done to make the harnesses fit the Z06 or any C6 for that matter properly?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I have an 08 Z06 whose OEM seats obviously do not have provisions for my Safety Harnesses to pass through the seats.

Short of replacing the seats, is there a solution?
What have others done to make the harnesses fit the Z06 or any C6 for that matter properly?

Different seats so harness pass though the seat back. Some one has also found or made some seat grommets and had the current seats fitted with these grommets too allow harness to pass though the seat back holes.

Wrap around harness or sternum straps are not good options. and in for most clubs not allowed.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Thanks Tom. Your email yesterday of course is what prompted this post. I am aware now that you explained to me why the belts should pass through the seats.

I am hoping to see some options that are safe yet short of having to replace my seats. I would like to just do an alteration of the seats I have. Just hoping to see some ideas of what others may have done...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

The C5Z guys altered their stock seats. I would think there is a way to do it for the c6z.

Glenn you do realize though a real race seats does a much better job of holding you in. It also is only 4 nuts to get a seat out so you can swap easily.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutting holes in the stock seats might get you past a visual tech inspection, but its really not the proper way to do it. Stock seats are engineered to work with stock 3-point harnesses. If you are going to run 5 or 6 points, and you want to be safe, you should really have a seat designed for them.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
The C5Z guys altered their stock seats. I would think there is a way to do it for the c6z.

Glenn you do realize though a real race seats does a much better job of holding you in. It also is only 4 nuts to get a seat out so you can swap easily.

I did not realize that I could easily swap seats. I use the car for much more than just the track and would not like to have race seats in there all the time. Being able to swap them is a good option.
I will certaily consider that...

Thanks Bob
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Cutting holes in the stock seats might get you past a visual tech inspection, but its really not the proper way to do it. Stock seats are engineered to work with stock 3-point harnesses. If you are going to run 5 or 6 points, and you want to be safe, you should really have a seat designed for them.

I agree. I want to be safe, I am NOT looking to just pass an inspection, I want to be safe for my own sake.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use team tech's Jet Pilot harness. It instead of the traditional sub belt it has leg and back straps. A few other corvette drivers in my club also use it.
http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r.../jetpilot.html

edit:
and it takes longer to change 4 tires than the 2 seats...

Last edited by DarthStimpy; 03-18-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added additional info
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I just decoded the harness/seat mystery myself and ended up going with a Sparco seat that is easily removed in 5 minutes.

The conclusion I came to was that it is safest to go with a real seat made for use with harnesses.

If you want the lowdown on the costs and parts you need, I'd be happy to talk with you.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

when I was seat shopping I knew that I didn't want to be swapping seats before I went to an ax or HPDE.
After much searching and researching I decided on the caraviaggo seats since they are able to work with the stock 3-point harness AND a 5 or 6-point setup.
they're very comfortable, much more so then the C5Z seats.

I couldn't resist posting this first pic

From what I remember you're a good bit taller then me so they probably aren't the best choice for you.
Just like a pair of shoes you def want to try out a bunch of different brands to see what fits you best.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
when I was seat shopping I knew that I didn't want to be swapping seats before I went to an ax or HPDE.
After much searching and researching I decided on the caraviaggo seats since they are able to work with the stock 3-point harness AND a 5 or 6-point setup.
they're very comfortable, much more so then the C5Z seats.

I couldn't resist posting this first pic

From what I remember you're a good bit taller then me so they probably aren't the best choice for you.
Just like a pair of shoes you def want to try out a bunch of different brands to see what fits you best.
And they cost a friggin' mint.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I just went through this in my C5z. I bought a lightly used set of Corbeau FX1's with sliders and their C5 specific rails. Pretty comfortable seat, "sort of" works with the factory 3 points (over the top of the sides of the seat, not through them) and is easy to pull in and out.

I just bought the pfadt mount for the driver's side as I mainly autocross the car and my track days are minimal and I will be playing with that and clipping in the pyrotect 5 pt camlock harness when I get home from work tonight.

G'luck on the choice
Fej
Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
And they cost a friggin' mint.
true they aren't cheap, but when you factor in that they allow you to do the following:

-use factory 3-point harnesses on the street along with 5 or 6-point race harnesses at the track
-use all the factory power seat features including memory
-able to reuse factory rails (makes adjusting seating position a snap for different drivers)
-no switching seats for an event, ever!
-very comfortable and look great (ok, this last one is all personal opinion)

taking those things into consideration I think they are a great VALUE for what you pay for.

Besides, if you keep your eyes open you can snag a set in the classifieds for a good deal.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:45 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fej
I just went through this in my C5z. I bought a lightly used set of Corbeau FX1's with sliders and their C5 specific rails. Pretty comfortable seat, "sort of" works with the factory 3 points (over the top of the sides of the seat, not through them) and is easy to pull in and out.

I just bought the pfadt mount for the driver's side as I mainly autocross the car and my track days are minimal and I will be playing with that and clipping in the pyrotect 5 pt camlock harness when I get home from work tonight.

G'luck on the choice
Fej
How are those working? Any pics? How hard to get them in and out for track days?

Get notified of new replies

To Safety Harness / Corvette Question

Quick Reply: Safety Harness / Corvette Question