Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really stupid tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Really stupid tire question...

I have a "street legal" 96 track car that is on either Hoosier R6s or Kuhmo V710s depending on what I got cheap :o . I have driven it around the block a few times to check out various parts installs and I do plan on taking it to an occasional cruise in or show. My question is how bad does an occasional trip up the street wear on a set of slicks? I know they aren't street tires and it is certainly not going to do them any good, but just how bad it wears them I have no idea. Thanks as always!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I guess that's going to depend on what your surfaces are like, not only TYPE, but condition...
How much crap is on the roads and temperatures.

With the low puncture resistence of R-comps and such I'd not want to be on the street for any length of time with them on.

Around here in SW PA, we'd not be able to go more than a mile or two without a pothole, or some rocks/ debris getting in them... then kicking up on the car
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bite the bullet, buy this other set of CCW's, mount some street rubber on them, and presto! Problemo solved!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
My question is how bad does an occasional trip up the street wear on a set of slicks?
Based on my real world experience of driving V710's and R6's to and from the track(between 60 to 250 mile round trips) on average 6X per year over the last 4 1/2 years which probably equates to 4000+ miles of street driving; my answer is is very very little to none at all. The wear rate of the tires on the track when they are at high temperature and high G's are very dramatically higher than what you will ever encounter driving on the street. Now lets hear all the experts that trailer their cars chime in on rain, punctures, pebbles, etc.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I agree, as long as you avoid obvious road hazards, it should be fine. They won't build enough heat to count as a "cycle", and since you are already running on cheap, presumably used tires, I would just drive and forget about it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrek
Just bite the bullet, buy this other set of CCW's, mount some street rubber on them, and presto! Problemo solved!
You wouldn't by chance have said set of CCWs sitting in that monstrosity you call a garage would you?!?

I'm going to have to drive down there when I get back in the area in a week or so. There has been a LOT of work going on. Seats, interior is painted, more ignition work than I care to remember, installed an oil cooler, did some work on the steering column after somehow one of the pivot pins for the tilt decided to shear... all sorts of fun! I just need to find time to get it to the track, and SOON!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I agree, as long as you avoid obvious road hazards, it should be fine. They won't build enough heat to count as a "cycle", and since you are already running on cheap, presumably used tires, I would just drive and forget about it.

with David, and like others said just watch out for pot holes and possible crap on the road as it doesn't take much to go thru the race tires.

Aaron
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
With the low puncture resistence of R-comps and such I'd not want to be on the street for any length of time with them on.
Back when the Hoosier belts were fiberglass, that was true. From S04 on, they've been steel though, so they shouldn't be any easier to puncture than most street tires.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylons
Back when the Hoosier belts were fiberglass, that was true. From S04 on, they've been steel though, so they shouldn't be any easier to puncture than most street tires.
Have to disagree, regardless of the steel belts, you are talking 4/32 worth of chewing gum (exaggeration) rubber. Picks up chit like you would not believe. Then the chit cuts it's way thru the gumball rubber & tada you have ruined a $300 plus tire.

Ask me how I know.

So far as the OP question, the wear depends on miles & road surface so not too bad for short trips.

I would not recommend it though. Posted by Froggy who has done it for 7 years on a6 & 710 to/from events.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-20-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've driven to events on mine.

You need to be real careful, driving back in a downpour is NOT fun.

I used the stockers for the street.

I plan on trailering my car this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Really stupid tire question...

Quick Reply: Really stupid tire question...