Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corbeau A4 wide in a c4- can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
mikemiller68gs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default corbeau A4 wide in a c4- can it be done?

Yesterday I sat in a Corbeau A4, it is a tight fight for my butt. I believe that the A4 wide would fit me fine. I have read that it won't fit, but I haven't read where anyone has tried.

Will removing the E Brake cover and modifying the seat recline **** to take less space and allow it to fit? I'm really interested to see if anybody has made one fit. Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
rohde88
Instructor

I'm curious too. I have a Sparco Torino I'd be interested in mounting in a C4
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If this helps, I have installed a Cobra SuzukaS GT (wide) in a full race ’86, everything removed. Web sites will typically give the seat dimensions, so you can get them and compare. The SuzukaS GT is a tight fit, but it works. Did make my own seat mountings to put the brackets on. The mountings are bolted to the stock mounting bolts in the floor, and I have an attachment at the back connecting the seat to the roll cage.

Before that I had a Cobra Forza II.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it, but if it fits it will be REALLY tight. On a track car with the e-brake assy. removed as well as the trim plastic on the center console you might have a chance, but otherwise I don't think so. The only other option I could see would to mount them high enough so that they clear the ridge that runs front to back on the floorboard (not the big door sill) and use a bottom mount bracket to save a little more on the width. I'm about 6'0 and there is no way that I could fit in a seat with a bottom mount bracket with a helmet in a C4. I just went through all sorts of pain figuring out how to get a 17" Kirkey seat in my 96.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
rohde88
Instructor

That sucks. I was really hoping to gain some headroom by installing a flat bottom bracket. I had this seat in an LS1 Z28 and it helped with clearance immensely.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I highly doubt the wide could be made it fit decently. Without the center console it may work OK. The normal A4 just barely fits. I spent some time mounting and gained an inch of head room. I don't hit the roof with a helmet now! I used a double locking slider. You can check my thread on it in C4 tech.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have Corbeau Forza's in my 87 and I still have the e-brake and cover in place but it's a snug fit on that side. Check the Corbeau website to match the dimension of the A4 Wide and the Forza to see how they line up. I don't have any "width" problems in the seat, but my 36 waist feels like it's about the limit in that seat.

I used the flat mounting bracket that came with the seat and also got the locking sliders. Because the Forza is a fixed-back seat, I had to modify the flat adapter bracket by welding some feet to the front so I caould get the seat to sit at an angle. I have the clear top on the car and I have to remove the seat bottom to gain enough clearance for my helmet.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 04-16-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I know it's a different seat but just as a reference point the Sparco Evo L (L = Wide) in my 94 fits really tight even with all trim, carpet and the e-brake removed.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM
mikemiller68gs
Instructor

When looking at all the base measurements mentioned in comparison to the A4 wide, they are all within 1/2 of each other.

Aaardwolf, I looked through your seat install threads. Could you tell me how much (if any) side clearence you have at the base? The best I can tell you would need roughly 1/2-3/4 inch more space per side over the standard A4.

I would just buy these and try it, but I want to order them with the shaved base to gain a littlte extra headroom. I'm guessing they wouldn't accept a return.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I'll post up a few pictures later tonight or tomorrow, I've got to run to a bday party quickly.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think it will fit, but it will be tight. The Sparco Evo does fit with our seat rails, and if you compare the picture below in the thigh area is comparable the Sparco Evo in the pdf chart, for the standard A4. I doubt the A4 wide will fit without modification of the seat. The lower you want it, the narrower it has to be.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/docume...arco_chart.pdf

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-18-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a hard bar c4 seat rail kit for sale. $225
this is with the cross piece for your sub belts.
all hardware included.
only used 1 season.
I am out of the sport for medical reasons... and had to take the race seats out..
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I think it will fit, but it will be tight. The Sparco Evo does fit with our seat rails, and if you compare the picture below in the thigh area is comparable the Sparco Evo in the pdf chart, for the standard A4. I doubt the A4 wide will fit without modification of the seat. The lower you want it, the narrower it has to be.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/docume...arco_chart.pdf
Here's an Evo mounted in my car
Old 04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Pix of the A4 in my car without the parking brake (they could be jammed in there OK I think) and without the seat belt cover.

No room there! A little room against the center console.

I put them in with the tilt back lever to the center console and there is just barely enough room to use it.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:00 PM
rohde88
Instructor

is the female seatbelt receptacle bolted to the floor or to the seat?

did you guys have any issues tripping codes when you took out the seat?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by rohde88
is the female seatbelt receptacle bolted to the floor or to the seat?

did you guys have any issues tripping codes when you took out the seat?
No codes, and the belts don't bolt to the seat, they bolt to the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To corbeau A4 wide in a c4- can it be done?

Quick Reply: corbeau A4 wide in a c4- can it be done?